Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do bad results mean no chance at Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So a few years ago i finished my BTEC, i wasn't really interested in Uni, and i was just happy to pass.

Fast forward a few years and i've found a course that sounds perfect and now i'm panicking that i won't even be considered for a place. For the record i'm at least 2 or 3 grades below what the Uni's tend to want.

I'm applying at the Uni of Birmingham, to study Ancient History and Archaeology. On the website it states that applications involving BTEC's are taken case by case. I'm hoping because of this i might get an interview but the other Uni's i'm applying to want certain grades, so i'm worried they'll take one look at my grades and turn me away.

I've done a bit of museum volunteering so i'm hoping that'll help my case, and i've been working on a personal statement for months. I'm aware I'm going to have to apply through clearing, i'm not sure if that'll help or hinder my application.

Has anyone had, or is having, a similar experience and can offer any suggestions or anything? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatWasIThinking)
    So a few years ago i finished my BTEC, i wasn't really interested in Uni, and i was just happy to pass.

Fast forward a few years and i've found a course that sounds perfect and now i'm panicking that i won't even be considered for a place. For the record i'm at least 2 or 3 grades below what the Uni's tend to want.

I'm applying at the Uni of Birmingham, to study Ancient History and Archaeology. On the website it states that applications involving BTEC's are taken case by case. I'm hoping because of this i might get an interview but the other Uni's i'm applying to want certain grades, so i'm worried they'll take one look at my grades and turn me away.

I've done a bit of museum volunteering so i'm hoping that'll help my case, and i've been working on a personal statement for months. I'm aware I'm going to have to apply through clearing, i'm not sure if that'll help or hinder my application.

Has anyone had, or is having, a similar experience and can offer any suggestions or anything? Thanks!
    ring the uni and ask about if they will consider your btec, do this asap

It is unlikely you will be interviewed when you apply through clearing due to the rushed nature of it. You stated that you are 2/3 grades below what they are asking for and even though it may be a unpopular course (if might not be of course and might not even go into clearing) dont go in expecting a positive result as 3 grades is a lot to miss the standard offer by

But you wont know until you try so just give it your best shot! good luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

If you apply before June 30th you can apply by picking 5 choices as usual (ie not Clearing) and this will probably be the best option for you. Unis won't have enough time during Clearing to give your application enough consideration because they have so many other applications to review.

But you need to contact the uni before applying to see if they have spaces. It's silly to set your heart on a course before doing that as they might simply be full.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    ring the uni and ask about if they will consider your btec, do this asap

It is unlikely you will be interviewed when you apply through clearing due to the rushed nature of it. You stated that you are 2/3 grades below what they are asking for and even though it may be a unpopular course (if might not be of course and might not even go into clearing) dont go in expecting a positive result as 3 grades is a lot to miss the standard offer by

But you wont know until you try so just give it your best shot! good luck
    The reason I'm putting Birmingham first is because they take it case by case with this course, they don't ask for specific grades.

I know it's 50/50 at best, gonna spend the next few days doing what i can and talking to who i can.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I'm putting Birmingham first is because they take it case by case with this course, they don't ask for specific grades.

I know it's 50/50 at best, gonna spend the next few days doing what i can and talking to who i can.
    Its a generic statement tbh and when I was applying through ucas 2 years ago a lot of unis said that, chances are they will want the equivalent grades of what they ask for in A-levels for your btec

As the other poster said apply through extra now as you can have 5 choices and the unis will have more time to consider your application, in clearing you ring them and normally they give you a yes or no answer there and then

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.