Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have just done GCSE Latin studying on my own and am thinking of doing AS Latin in the same way next year but am not sure how much time I should allow per week to give myself a realistic chance. If you do AS Latin at school what is the allotted lesson and homework time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiccup977)
    Have just done GCSE Latin studying on my own and am thinking of doing AS Latin in the same way next year but am not sure how much time I should allow per week to give myself a realistic chance. If you do AS Latin at school what is the allotted lesson and homework time?
    Same as any other subject - 6x45 minute lessons plus however long you spend on homework.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've also just finished Latin GCSE and I'm thinking of doing this too! I have found long distabce learning courses.

Heres the link
    http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=il^asl^intro

ReputationRep:
    2 x 1.5 hour lessons per week. (we're a state school whose Latin class is taught by volunteers: the class is taught from about 4:30pm - 6pm)
    Roughly an hour - an hour and a half of homework per week, either translating ahead for next week's class or doing past exam questions.

I, personally, did about 15 minutes every day of language vocabulary and 15 minutes of set-text vocabulary until March (by which date I'd learnt all the vocab and spent 10mins/day reviewing it) and about 15 mins a day of set-text translation practice from March - May/the exam.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    2 x 1.5 hour lessons per week. (we're a state school whose Latin class is taught by volunteers: the class is taught from about 4:30pm - 6pm)
    Roughly an hour - an hour and a half of homework per week, either translating ahead for next week's class or doing past exam questions.

I, personally, did about 15 minutes every day of language vocabulary and 15 minutes of set-text vocabulary until March (by which date I'd learnt all the vocab and spent 10mins/day reviewing it) and about 15 mins a day of set-text translation practice from March - May/the exam.

Hope this helps!
    Hey, thank you so much. Did you do your own set text translation with teachers/volunteers or did you work from one they gave you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you so much. Did you do your own set text translation with teachers/volunteers or did you work from one they gave you?
    We compared our own translations with the teacher's in class, and then translated a bit ahead with the teacher explaining the sentence composition and how it all fits together, and getting us to try to spot stylistic features in the prose/verse - so basically, the former! A nearby private school does the latter method though, I think? They get given the translation and only have to translate it themselves when it comes to practice papers.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.