The Student Room Group

(Edexcel Music A2) How likely do you think the Bach Cantata is to come up in Applied?

We literally have not studied this piece in lessons. At all. But when I checked some past papers, I noticed that it's come up twice already in two old exams.
Does that mean they're less likely to put it on this year's paper?

If that + the Irish one come up together, I'm screwed! :afraid:
Reply 1
The thing with Applied set works is that you can afford not to study one - it would just mean you would have to know all the other set works.. The one I've chosen not to even look at is Bach due to the questions being weird and difficult to respond to.

If Bach has come up twice then surely that would mean it's not going to come up.. I don't know though, Edexcel could change their minds :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by robjob123
The thing with Applied set works is that you can afford not to study one - it would just mean you would have to know all the other set works.. The one I've chosen not to even look at is Bach due to the questions being weird and difficult to respond to.

If Bach has come up twice then surely that would mean it's not going to come up.. I don't know though, Edexcel could change their minds :smile:

I really hope so - we've hardly done the Niall Keegan pieces either, but they look so much easier to revise than the Bach.Here's to hoping they don't ask any particularly odd questions! :h:
I would think it might- just because it's the only Baroque piece of music in applied and is very different to the others. I doubt it will be the Keegan because it's come up before- I think it will be....
On the Waterfront
Der Kranke Mond
Bach Cantata

Also: the other Bach piece- the sarabande and gigue came up as an essay on the AS paper last week. Also, the Shostakovich is the only piece from our set that has not come up before and because it's so similar to the Bach, I think that will come up and the Bach will be the one instrumental piece that doesn't come up:P
Original post by IzzyWatkins
I would think it might- just because it's the only Baroque piece of music in applied and is very different to the others. I doubt it will be the Keegan because it's come up before- I think it will be....
On the Waterfront
Der Kranke Mond
Bach Cantata

Also: the other Bach piece- the sarabande and gigue came up as an essay on the AS paper last week. Also, the Shostakovich is the only piece from our set that has not come up before and because it's so similar to the Bach, I think that will come up and the Bach will be the one instrumental piece that doesn't come up:P

I would be incredibly surprised if the Bach Cantata came up as it's the only applied piece that has come up twice before!! I'm not even bothering to revise it. I think the Schoenberg and Bernstein will almost definitely come up as they haven't been used before as far as I can see, and the third one might be Keegan or Williams. And if Williams comes up, since they've already done the "sense of adventure" question before, I think it will be about how it's "memorable".
Guys what type of question could be asked about the Irish and the E.T. ?
If you could provide me the answers as well it would be really helpful :smile:
Ah predicted the applied ones right;D

Der Kranke Mond and On The Waterfront were so good:u:

What did everyone get for listening? This is what I remember....

1) What is the accompanying instrument?

2) Instrumental forces/ textures in B?

3) rhythm and metre compare and contrast

4) Country of origin (I put Scotland- i thought ireland cause he said of 'londonderry'... no idea)

Question 2:

(dictation can go do one)

1) Dissonance? (I think suspension)

2) Key and cadence (I got A major (tonic) and Perfect??)

3) Key (F#minor?)

4) Chord (I put v7d but i wasn't sure)

5) Key (E major- again, who know)

6) Composer- pretty confident on Mozart

7) Year- I put 1789 cause I remember he died in 1791 :/

Generally hated the listening...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending