Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  maths1.png
Views: 95
Size:  17.7 KB

Zacken

Sorry I don't quite follow. This is from a June 2013 C3 (R) Paper Q 5 part C.
    Arsey's mark scheme got to the LHS of the equation and the Mark scheme gave the RHS of this equation so i'm wondering hwo you get from Arsey's to the Mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    first of all on the left, square the (x/2) out to get (X^2)/4now times everything in the root by 4 to get 4-X^2(this eliminates the 2 from outside the root because 4^0.5 i.e square root 4 is two)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)

Zacken

Arsey's mark scheme got to the LHS of the equation and the Mark scheme gave the RHS of this equation so i'm wondering hwo you get from Arsey's to the Mark schemes.
    Common denominator and then use \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesedrew)
    first of all on the left, square the (x/2) out to get (X^2)/4now times everything in the root by 4 to get 4-X^2(this eliminates the 2 from outside the root because 4^0.5 i.e square root 4 is two)
    I don't quite follow the last step. Why exactly does it eliminate the 2 outside the square root :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Common denominator and then use \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}

Sorry how do I go from L.H.S to R.H.S without using the R.H.S of the equation.

I don't understand what happens to the 2 at the bottom.

ReputationRep:

Zacken

There you go, feel free to ask if you don't understand any parts

ReputationRep:
    Sorry how do I go from L.H.S to R.H.S without using the R.H.S of the equation.

I don't understand what happens to the 2 at the bottom.
    I don't quite see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    it gets red of the 2 at the bottom because of this rule: a^0.5 multiplied by b^0.5 is equal to (a*b)^0.5
    e.g root of 2 multiplied by root of 3 is the same at the root of 6

when you're multiplying out the bottom, what you're actually doing is multiplying by root of 4
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)

There you go, feel free to ask if you don't understand any parts
    Ah I get it, so you rewrite 2 as sqrt 4 and then you can use rules of surds to multiply through. Got it! Thanks a bunch dudette!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I get it, so you rewrite 2 as sqrt 4 and then you can use rules of surds to multiply through. Got it! Thanks a bunch dudette!
    Yeah exactly! No problem:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    First I dont do a-level maths, i am currently doing gcse. So i may be wrong. But i would assume square the (x/2) out to get (X^2)/4now times everything in the root by 4 to get 4-X^2 therefore this eliminates the 2 from outside the root because 4^0.5

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is the best way to do it. It's a very useful and common thing to know that you can 'put an outside number in the square root' by putting it's square in the square root (and correspondingly for cube roots etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Yes this is the best way to do it. It's a very useful and common thing to know that you can 'put an outside number in the square root' by putting it's square in the square root (and correspondingly for cube roots etc.).
    I see. I initially thought they multiplied through by the 4 in x^2 / 4. Would this be allowed within a square root function?

ReputationRep:
    I see. I initially thought they multiplied through by the 4 in x^2 / 4. Would this be allowed within a square root function?
    Yes because you write 2 as sqrt(4) and then you just have a square root with 4 multiplied by what was originally in the square root.
    Latex is not working today...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.