Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys,
    Hopefully I should be graduating next year in Business IT. I hope to find a job and move away from home and start my life. My family wants me to stay and hope for me to join the family business. But I know that its really stressful and giving everyone at home grief. I try explaining them this to me but I feel that they are pressuring me. I really want to go far in life and enjoy and travel the world. Any tips on what should I do ? Should I ride it out ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,
    Hopefully I should be graduating next year in Business IT. I hope to find a job and move away from home and start my life. My family wants me to stay and hope for me to join the family business. But I know that its really stressful and giving everyone at home grief. I try explaining them this to me but I feel that they are pressuring me. I really want to go far in life and enjoy and travel the world. Any tips on what should I do ? Should I ride it out ?
    Have you tried sitting down and talking to them?
    Explain what it means to you and the success that you hope to achieve by doing so.
    Prove to them that what you're going to do will benefit you and your family too!
    Get support from other family members who agree with you or you know will support you (someone who your family likes and are persuasive) and have them at hand with you when you have this talk! When there's more than one of you trying to persuade them, it will definitely be better than going in on your own!

i did this when i had to persuade my parents to let me live out for Uni!! Having older cousins helped persuade my parents to let me do so :yep:

Definitely go for it! Do what your heart tells you to!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.