Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

As a small amount of background, I am currently a Commissioned Officer in the RAF; something I worked tirelessly to achieve. I have been privileged enough to command teams of highly experienced and skilled personnel and I've also done that whilst deployed on operations around the world.

Whilst I love the military, I have always had a desire to pursue a career in law, I was just uncertain as to the direction that would take. I have worked on numerous investigations in my capacity as a Provost Officer, but it's not criminal law that piques my interest. Having worked in some Capability Development roles, my real interest has been in how the MOD works with industry to develop products and the huge deals attributed to creating a defence asset like Typhoon.

I am currently studying for my Law degree, distance learning through Northumbria University. It's a 4 year programme so in addition to a full time career it has been an intense workload but one I have relished. At present, my grades fall within first - high 2:1 scores - my only problem is A levels - I only have an A and a B. My primary ambition is to secure a TC with a City Firm and work in London. That said, I am concerned that my A levels and non RG university degree will let me down.

I am reasonably confident that should I get to interview (or they glance past my A Levels on my application) I would be able to demonstrate a passion for the Law and the fact I think I could be a worthy candidate - the Royal Air Force has given me a solid grounding, I never fail to put service before self - something I could bring to a law firm.

I just want to know if people think I would even stand a chance? The competition is nothing short of excellent and I thoroughly admire the tenacity of the people on here who are also working incredibly hard to realise their goals.

Thanks for reading!

P.s I should probably add I'm only 26 - so not a total fossil just yet - but perhaps will be a touch more 'mature' than the majority of those applying for a TC (I'll be around 28 when I complete my degree).

ReputationRep:
    I say you have as much chance as anyone else... though you may have to confirm that you meet the minimum requirement as to A-levels, which I believe is three rather than two.

As I understand it, recruiters take a holistic/global approach when considering applicants for TCs. I say as I understand it as I took a different path and approached the bar.

Your grades sound on par with most realistic applicants and your uni, though not RG (which is not the end all and be all) it can be "explained" for lack of a more suitable term due to your connection and I assume regional obligation to your military service.

I too like you was a mature person when I considered a legal career; however I was substantially older than you (I was 44 when I embarked on my journey). I am now two years called and am seeking to increase my practice; so its can be done.

Make sure in your TC apps and is any interview that you highlight and advance your strongest qualities... if you get to that stage, your academics are no longer part of the equation, it will all be about fit.

Bon Chance!

(Original post by smoggy52)
    Hello,

As a small amount of background, I am currently a Commissioned Officer in the RAF; something I worked tirelessly to achieve. I have been privileged enough to command teams of highly experienced and skilled personnel and I've also done that whilst deployed on operations around the world.

Whilst I love the military, I have always had a desire to pursue a career in law, I was just uncertain as to the direction that would take. I have worked on numerous investigations in my capacity as a Provost Officer, but it's not criminal law that piques my interest. Having worked in some Capability Development roles, my real interest has been in how the MOD works with industry to develop products and the huge deals attributed to creating a defence asset like Typhoon.

I am currently studying for my Law degree, distance learning through Northumbria University. It's a 4 year programme so in addition to a full time career it has been an intense workload but one I have relished. At present, my grades fall within first - high 2:1 scores - my only problem is A levels - I only have an A and a B. My primary ambition is to secure a TC with a City Firm and work in London. That said, I am concerned that my A levels and non RG university degree will let me down.

I am reasonably confident that should I get to interview (or they glance past my A Levels on my application) I would be able to demonstrate a passion for the Law and the fact I think I could be a worthy candidate - the Royal Air Force has given me a solid grounding, I never fail to put service before self - something I could bring to a law firm.

I just want to know if people think I would even stand a chance? The competition is nothing short of excellent and I thoroughly admire the tenacity of the people on here who are also working incredibly hard to realise their goals.

Thanks for reading!

P.s I should probably add I'm only 26 - so not a total fossil just yet - but perhaps will be a touch more 'mature' than the majority of those applying for a TC (I'll be around 28 when I complete my degree).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoggy52)
    Hello,

Thanks for reading!

Based on what you have said, I can't see why not. Your only issue is that some firms will have a minimum AAB, but there are plenty of firms who don't have this.

There are a number of ex military people in law firms and there was an initiative a few years back with an organisation that helped to help with career changers from a military background (name escapes me now).

My advice is try and network whether online or in person with people of a similar background to you. They are out there and are much more likely to be supportive of your determination to get into law. They can also give advice on how they did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I liked you until you got to the total fossil bit. You just wait sonny, don't worry about the A levels. All the best people don't care

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.