Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    NH3(CHCl3) -->/<-- NH3(aq)

75 cm3 of 4.0 mol dm–3 aqueous ammonia solution and 75 cm3 of the trichloromethane are shaken together. The two liquids are allowed to separate and 25.0cm3 of the aqueous layer is taken and titrated with 4.0 mol dm–3 hydrochloric acid. The whole procedure is repeated. The average titre is 24.0 cm3.

It asks you to calculate the concentration of ammonia in the aqueous layer which I did which is 3.84moldm-3.

Then it asks:

The initial volumes of the two solvents are the same. Hence deduce the concentration of ammonia in the trichloromethane layer in mol dm–3

The answer is 0.16moldm-3, I don't understand the maths or the logic behind why that is the answer, if you could help me understand I would be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    this is the January 2014 IAL paper, Q18ciii if you were wondering where I got the question from

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.