Will most likely not get the grades to go to university, what should I do?

Watch
Fleming1928
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know that this is not the first time someone has posted a question like this, but please just hear me out. Here's just some background knowledge which kind of explains why I believe that I will fail.

I have already sat 4 exams (all history) and I think that all of them went really well, however I have 3 exams left (psychology x2 and media) and here's the problem.

The media exam lasts 2 hours and has 3 questions (we didn't even know there are 2 other questions until a few months ago), we have only been taught how to answer 1 of those questions. We have 3 teachers, one to teach us each question, however as you can probably tell only one of those teachers is actually good at doing their job. One of the other teachers spent one lessons outlining the theories and told us to hand in an essay, She then gave us an exemplar essay for one possible question (the answer was nowhere near similar to mine) and that was the end of her teaching. The second teacher has taught us nothing and spends all of the lessons just gossiping. I have asked for help beforehand, and got told that I can still get into university if I fail this exam. I'm sorry, but what kind of teacher says that instead of offering help? Last year I got a D in my exam (even though I was constantly getting As in class) and my coursework got marked down from an A to a C. I'm thinking that my teachers don't even know the mark scheme, or how to mark our work according to the mark scheme. I have resat the coursework but I think the highest I will get is a B. For this year's coursework my teacher has also given me an A even though I once again believe that it'll get marked down to a C. My teacher just told me that I spend too much time looking at A grade examples which stresses me out (I'm sorry, but if we don't get help on the coursework, I need to find help somewhere?). I wanted to resit the exam but my teacher told me not too, because apparently I wouldn't be capable of getting a good grade. The exam turned out to be about BBC Sherlock, which I love and would have definitely been able to get a much better grade than a D.

Because of all the stress surrounding media, I have become so stressed that it's affecting my psychology revision. I have gotten 2 high As last year and I know that I would be capable of getting 2 As again this year, but it's a week until the exam and I can't remember anything.

I need ABB or BBB+B in EPQ to get into my firm choice (My EPQ teacher has given me an A*, however I think I'm going to get marked down).
I have gotten ACC last year (Psychology, History, Media) and have applied for history and russian at university.

Last year was very hectic due to teachers leaving and failing to teach us the content (we had 5 history teachers as they all kept leaving, we all walked into the exam not knowing anything that was asked). I have resat this paper and the question was exactly what I wanted, therefore I'm not worried about the C in history. What I am worried about is Psychology (even if I get a C it would make a B overall, so hopefully my EPQ will not get marked down), and I'm mainly worried about media.

There were 5 of us in our media class, one person in my class already tried talking to our head of sixth form about the incompetence of our teachers but nothing was done. Everyone else in my media class has unconditionals so they don't really care that much.

I am trying my best to revise psychology, at least, with the hope that maybe BBC+B will be good enough for my university, as hopefully they'll be lenient.

So here are my options:
1. Go through clearing for a Russian (without history) course which is BBB or BBC+B in EPQ at the same university

2. Apply for history (without Russian) at a non-Russell group university, any university that will potentially accept me. According to my school the university which you go to does not matter and that all degrees are equal ...

3. Take a gap year, resit whatever needs to be resat, get a job and reapply. The only issue with this is that the university which I want to go to said that there is a possibility that they will increase the grade requirement.

I just find it so unfair that I could potentially waste a year because some teachers simply cannot teach.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fleming1928)
I know that this is not the first time someone has posted a question like this, but please just hear me out. Here's just some background knowledge which kind of explains why I believe that I will fail.

I have already sat 4 exams (all history) and I think that all of them went really well, however I have 3 exams left (psychology x2 and media) and here's the problem.

The media exam lasts 2 hours and has 3 questions (we didn't even know there are 2 other questions until a few months ago), we have only been taught how to answer 1 of those questions. We have 3 teachers, one to teach us each question, however as you can probably tell only one of those teachers is actually good at doing their job. One of the other teachers spent one lessons outlining the theories and told us to hand in an essay, She then gave us an exemplar essay for one possible question (the answer was nowhere near similar to mine) and that was the end of her teaching. The second teacher has taught us nothing and spends all of the lessons just gossiping. I have asked for help beforehand, and got told that I can still get into university if I fail this exam. I'm sorry, but what kind of teacher says that instead of offering help? Last year I got a D in my exam (even though I was constantly getting As in class) and my coursework got marked down from an A to a C. I'm thinking that my teachers don't even know the mark scheme, or how to mark our work according to the mark scheme. I have resat the coursework but I think the highest I will get is a B. For this year's coursework my teacher has also given me an A even though I once again believe that it'll get marked down to a C. My teacher just told me that I spend too much time looking at A grade examples which stresses me out (I'm sorry, but if we don't get help on the coursework, I need to find help somewhere?). I wanted to resit the exam but my teacher told me not too, because apparently I wouldn't be capable of getting a good grade. The exam turned out to be about BBC Sherlock, which I love and would have definitely been able to get a much better grade than a D.

Because of all the stress surrounding media, I have become so stressed that it's affecting my psychology revision. I have gotten 2 high As last year and I know that I would be capable of getting 2 As again this year, but it's a week until the exam and I can't remember anything.

I need ABB or BBB+B in EPQ to get into my firm choice (My EPQ teacher has given me an A*, however I think I'm going to get marked down).
I have gotten ACC last year (Psychology, History, Media) and have applied for history and russian at university.

Last year was very hectic due to teachers leaving and failing to teach us the content (we had 5 history teachers as they all kept leaving, we all walked into the exam not knowing anything that was asked). I have resat this paper and the question was exactly what I wanted, therefore I'm not worried about the C in history. What I am worried about is Psychology (even if I get a C it would make a B overall, so hopefully my EPQ will not get marked down), and I'm mainly worried about media.

There were 5 of us in our media class, one person in my class already tried talking to our head of sixth form about the incompetence of our teachers but nothing was done. Everyone else in my media class has unconditionals so they don't really care that much.

I am trying my best to revise psychology, at least, with the hope that maybe BBC+B will be good enough for my university, as hopefully they'll be lenient.

So here are my options:
1. Go through clearing for a Russian (without history) course which is BBB or BBC+B in EPQ at the same university

2. Apply for history (without Russian) at a non-Russell group university, any university that will potentially accept me. According to my school the university which you go to does not matter and that all degrees are equal ...

3. Take a gap year, resit whatever needs to be resat, get a job and reapply. The only issue with this is that the university which I want to go to said that there is a possibility that they will increase the grade requirement.

I just find it so unfair that I could potentially waste a year because some teachers simply cannot teach.
There is a potential that history and Russian could be in clearing, there are 9 universities will places left in extra, assuming that the ucas search is currently accurate (nottingham still has places for example) as its not going to be a popular course choice, i would think that you could still potentially get a place if you drop one grade. So although a back up plan is always a good idea, i think you ll have plenty of options still in clearing before a gap year becomes necessary
Fleming1928
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
There is a potential that history and Russian could be in clearing, there are 9 universities will places left in extra, assuming that the ucas search is currently accurate (nottingham still has places for example) as its not going to be a popular course choice, i would think that you could still potentially get a place if you drop one grade. So although a back up plan is always a good idea, i think you ll have plenty of options still in clearing before a gap year becomes necessary
Nottingham is actually my insurance choice (Sheffield is my firm) and I wouldn't mind going to either Both have the same entry requirements though

I have been looking at clearing last summer for History and Russian and there were many places available until the very end, hopefully it'll be the same case this year.

Thank you!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fleming1928)
Nottingham is actually my insurance choice (Sheffield is my firm) and I wouldn't mind going to either Both have the same entry requirements though

I have been looking at clearing last summer for History and Russian and there were many places available until the very end, hopefully it'll be the same case this year.

Thank you!
Oh i see, in that case I think at the moment that you really have nothing to panic about especially if nottingham still has places available, they could be likely to be more lenient to make sure all of their places are filled
user6842344
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
bim=
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads