The Student Room Group

Gcse History

Hi, I have History exam on Monday, and I need help with Germany, any resources anyone got? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Is this OCR? I'm doing early cold war and Russia. What about everyone else?
What period are you looking at?

If you need any exam help then feel free to ask. :h:
I've studied the 1933 -1945 period for my A Level exam. If you want help for that time frame let me know. :h:
Edexcel?
Please could anyone help me with Cold War revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No sorry it's for Germany 1918-1939, international relations (Cold War) 1943-1991, and Britain 1931-1951

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else doing WJEC Germany from 1919-1947?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
actually, untermenschen is for people like africans. jews are the lebensunwertes: unworthy of life x
Reply 8
Original post by vault111
Edexcel?
Please could anyone help me with Cold War revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

tell me what you need
Reply 9
kristallnacht was 9 & 10 november :tongue:
my depth study is Britain haha.. but that's not until next week, thankfully
Original post by gameofno
tell me what you need

Hey, I was wondering if you had any resources, or could help me, with the relations between 1970 - 1991? I'm quite confused with the relations between Gorbachev & Reagan, and also the disintegration of the Iron Curtain (revolutions and free elections in Eastern European countries).

Thank You!
I'm doing AQA..
For Paper 1, my topics are: League of Nations, Hitler's Foreign Policy & Cold War..

I'm very confident about history so let me know if anyone needs help. :P :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by vault111
Hey, I was wondering if you had any resources, or could help me, with the relations between 1970 - 1991? I'm quite confused with the relations between Gorbachev & Reagan, and also the disintegration of the Iron Curtain (revolutions and free elections in Eastern European countries).

Thank You!

sure thing. okay so
detente was basically just the name for tension easing between the 2 superpowers (ussr and usa) so there were a couple of treaties during detente which helped the superpowers. their relationship improved in this time period:
in 1967 there was the outer space treaty which basically just said no nuclear weapons can be placed there by the superpowers, and in 1968 there was the nuclear non-proliferation treaty which said neither superpower can give weapons to other countries
so these 2 things are important in detente because it limited the amount of conflict between superpowers

then in 1972 there was the SALT 1 treaty which basically limited the amount of nuclear weapons the ussr and usa could have
they agreed that there would be no more production of strategic ballistic missiles, agreed that submarines can only carry nuclear weapons when icbms were finished, and also agreed upon the ABM treaty which stated that if developed, ABMS could shoot down incoming nuclear missiles. but each side was limited to 2 abm systems each
SALT 1 was significant because it was the first agreement which limited the number of nuclear weapons they held

then in 1975 the apollo-soyuz mission was a joint space mission between the american apollo and russian soyuz spacecraft, which showed cooperation in space

in 1975 there was also the helsinki agreements which focused on 3 main things: security, cooperation and human rights. basically this was important because it showed that the superpowers could cooperate in terms of trade etc. and also limited the possibility of superpower conflict by creating a better relationship between the usa and ussr in europe

then basically detente collapsed. this is because of the soviet invasion of afghanistan in 1979. ussr invaded because they didn't trust the new afghan government after there was a revolution. the new leader was hafizullah amin and soviets believed he was an american spy. they also invaded bc if afghanistan was an islamic state then they'd have no reason to ally with a communist country and ussr was afraid that other satellite states would also become islamic

a guy named babrak karmal (afghani communist) formed a rival government and helped the ussr invade. the usa basically got super mad so their whole relationship got ruined and the usa refused to ratify SALT 2 treaty.

the carter doctrine by the US president carter basically stated that usa wouldnt allow the ussr to take control of the oil rich middle east. this showed the usa taking a more tough approach to superpower relations. the cia also funded the mujahideen, which were an islamic organisation freeing to fight afghanistan from soviet control. president carter also increaed defence spending by 5%

then in 1980 they boycotted the olympics (usa & 60 other countries boycotted ussr)
1984 olympics were in LA and so the ussr and 14 others boycotted those olympics
by 1980 detente was dead and they were at their worst point since 1962 cuban missile crisis

raegan became president in 1979 and was basically rude af. he introduced SDI which stated that theyd launch satellites in space which would intercept soviet missiles and shoot them down. he made a speech in 1983 and called the soviet union an evil empire.
gorbachev basically couldnt compete cuz russia didnt have the same technology and so he decided to introduce reforms.
perestroika(restructuring) - he introduced economic reforms to make the soviet economy better
glasnost (openness) - censorship of the press was to be relaxed

then they had a few summits and meetings and etc. eventually raegan and gorbachev improved their relationship because:
-raegan knew the US public didnt want another war
-he could see many people approved of gorbachev and his changes in the ussr
-he got on with gorbachev

OK wait ILL FINISH LATER BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO NOW BUT ILL TRY TO FINISH THIS TOMORROW SORRY
Reply 14
ohh okay! cause im doing edexcel so thats probs why its different x
How do you guys remember all the dates and stuff for the Nazis?
Yes, sure.

So, Hitler had FOUR main aims:
1) He wanted to OVERTURN the Treaty of Versailles. He saw it as an unfair weakening of Germany and wanted to 'rip it up'.

2) Hitler wanted 'LEBENSRAUN' i.e. Living space, for the Germans. He thought that inferior races like Slavs didn't deserve land, so he wanted to take their land from them (e.g. Czechoslovakia, March 1939)

3) He believed all German speaking people should be united. Therefore, he wanted to make a 'GROSSDEUTSCHELAND' or 'Great Germany', which solely consisted of German Aryans. To do this, he'd need 'Anschluss' (Union with Austria) and annexing parts of other Eastern European Countries, like Sudetenland.

4) Finally, he wanted RE-ARMAMENT. From the T.O.V., you might know that the German military was heavily crippled. But the military was a symbol of pride for Germany, and not big enough for a country that size, so he wanted rearmament..

You can say he wanted to 'DESTROY COMMUNISM' too, but that's not really one of the primary aims.

Hope I helped, let me know if you need any more.. :smile:
That's good to know :smile: .. No problem..

Anyone need help with them topics let me know..
OCR but it's still 1919-1945
Original post by BluBird :)
Is this OCR? I'm doing early cold war and Russia. What about everyone else?

same i'm doing it as well:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest