Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I be worried about my symptoms? (period related btw) watch

So I've been to the GP in the past and mentioned that I've been having some problems with my cycle and had some tests. The GP said my testosterone level was a bit high, so I had an ultrasound for PCOS, which came back clear apparently and nothing else was said.

This month I'm 10 days late for my period and counting, so it's been a 48 day cycle so far. It's quite normal for me to have irregular periods, e.g. last time my cycle was 44 days, the time before that 35, 32, 31 but before that 48, so I have had late periods before. It's also been quite heavy recently, a bit more than normal. I've read on the internet that a girls period will be irregular for the first 2 years, but I started around 7 years ago (I'm 18) so it should've evened out by now I would have thought...

I've also just noticed that my hair line looks a bit different to other peoples, in the fact that it goes up a bit around the sides but then comes out like an L shape? My hair is thin anyway, so maybe I'm being paranoid... I've also developed these spots down my jaw line but I guess that's just normal anyway...

I am getting that normal signs that I'm going to start soon though, but I wondered if I should go back to the GP or get a phone appointment or something because it is starting to worry me a bit tbh.

TIA :-)

ReputationRep:
    You may have low iron, should get tested for that
    Eat healthily and exercise - that sometimes helps to keep periods regular

(Original post by samina_ay)
    You may have low iron, should get tested for that
    Eat healthily and exercise - that sometimes helps to keep periods regular
    Thinking about it, I have had an iron test before and she said that my blood cells were too small or there weren't enough of them or something, but I had some kind of iron supplement and she said I wouldn't need to use all of it and didn't do a repeat prescription or anything... So she didn't say anything else about that either. I might just go a see what she wants to do, if anything. :-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've been to the GP in the past and mentioned that I've been having some problems with my cycle and had some tests. The GP said my testosterone level was a bit high, so I had an ultrasound for PCOS, which came back clear apparently and nothing else was said.

This month I'm 10 days late for my period and counting, so it's been a 48 day cycle so far. It's quite normal for me to have irregular periods, e.g. last time my cycle was 44 days, the time before that 35, 32, 31 but before that 48, so I have had late periods before. It's also been quite heavy recently, a bit more than normal. I've read on the internet that a girls period will be irregular for the first 2 years, but I started around 7 years ago (I'm 18) so it should've evened out by now I would have thought...

I've also just noticed that my hair line looks a bit different to other peoples, in the fact that it goes up a bit around the sides but then comes out like an L shape? My hair is thin anyway, so maybe I'm being paranoid... I've also developed these spots down my jaw line but I guess that's just normal anyway...

I am getting that normal signs that I'm going to start soon though, but I wondered if I should go back to the GP or get a phone appointment or something because it is starting to worry me a bit tbh.

If you're worried about it then go see a gp. Write down anything you want to ask so you don't forget.
    Some people do just have irregular periods though. I could soetimes go months (5 once) without one but doctors weren't concerned. Never got answers myself, was just put on the pill to stop my periods altogether (they were also very painful).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Doctors can often misdiagnose PCOS- especially as cysts on the ovaries can disappear and reappear at any time. So it may have been that in this case, your cysts may have not been there. Also, your hairline issue sounds like a Widow's Peak- google it

(Original post by dmy15)
    Doctors can often misdiagnose PCOS- especially as cysts on the ovaries can disappear and reappear at any time. So it may have been that in this case, your cysts may have not been there. Also, your hairline issue sounds like a Widow's Peak- google it
    I never knew that about the cysts thing! interesting... maybe I'll mention it when I go in next. And I've discovered that my mum has the same hairline as me, so I assume its genetic and nothing to worry about, though it was stressing me out so that's a bit of a relief tbh! Thanks :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.