Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I go to a non target university (top 50) studying physics. I am really interested in investment banking and global markets. I applied to many internships this year (some missed deadlines due to personal reasons) but didn't get an offer from those that i applied to. From here there are three possible routes that i know of; Applying for grad roles next year, Applying for summer internships next year or applying for a masters in physics course at a top 8 target university and apply for summer intern/ grad roles.

Could I please get advice on which route to take and also if someone can offer any other guidance it will be appreciated.

In terms of extra circulars I am a founding member of the physics society at my university, Member of investment and finance society again at my university, Currently have a job in property management (company founded by myself and i manage 14 properties) and Part of a golf club.

In terms of achievements i have won awards in mathematics and have had multiple tournament wins.

I have attended insight days/ spring weeks at Macquarie and M&G.

My CV in my opinion is well structured - Used clear sub headings, Mainly bullet points with a few short sentences.. I will be seeking advice on my CV is the near future.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    masters in physics would be all but useless if your primary aim is IB?

getting a grad offer without internship experience is very difficult as well, would re-apply for summer internships but maybe spread your application out over different divisions which include middle office roles (if you wouldn't mind working there).. apply to every firm out there, even the ones without applications, smaller boutiques & 3rd tier banks. just about your grind and search for that crucial piece of experience which you can use to leverage a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)

getting a grad offer without internship experience is very difficult as well, would re-apply for summer internships but maybe spread your application out over different divisions which include middle office roles (if you wouldn't mind working there).. apply to every firm out there, even the ones without applications, smaller boutiques & 3rd tier banks. just about your grind and search for that crucial piece of experience which you can use to leverage a job
    I forgot to mention above, I do have an internship in an accounting firm which isn't well known. I thought something related to finance would be better than having no internship at all
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.