Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Non-existent university located in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Non-existent university located in London.
    ??

The UKCAT-heavy ones like Newcastle, Durham, Exeter, etc. usually don't care much for GCSEs if you meet the minimum requirements, I think.

Some useful links:
    https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    The UKCAT-heavy ones like Newcastle, Durham, Exeter, etc. usually don't care much for GCSEs if you meet the minimum requirements, I think.

Some useful links:
    https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths
    Thank you very much 😊

ReputationRep:
    no one cares about GCSE's..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    no one cares about GCSE's..........
    That's obviously not true.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a C in english and maths. I doubt your uni will care what else you got. I've got a bunch of A/A* and no one really cares about them, uni's even employers.A-level are what matter. If you get great A-level and have C at maths and english GCSE, they could care less about your other GCSE's and grades.

If you fail GCSEs i doubt you will get good enough grades at A-level to get into Medicine, not impossible but bad GCSEs grades don't indicate great A-level grades, needed to do medicine. Medicine takes some of the best of our generation, and you have to do some of the hardest A-level subjects. If you get great A-level, is what you need for most medicine courses, Why would your uni care about your A* in GCSE R.E ?. GCSE play a part but a much minor one than teachers claim, im guessing your at the GCSE stage...if your doing A-level, you should know the general idea of what i've said is true.

best of luck to you, i have the utmost respect for doctors and students of medicine, its hard to get into and a hard profession, that i know i can/won't be willing to do. A-levels are what matter, not GCSE, if you have great A-level grades, youll most likely get into a medical school, theres a wide range, with some being easier to get into. such as keele.Many wont care about GCSE, more about A-levels and your Ukcat/ the other test thing you can take instead.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you get a C in english and maths. I doubt your uni will care what else you got. I've got a bunch of A/A* and no one really cares about them, uni's even employers.A-level are what matter. If you get great A-level and have C at maths and english GCSE, they could care less about your other GCSE's and grades.

If you fail GCSEs i doubt you will get good enough grades at A-level to get into Medicine, not impossible but bad GCSEs grades don't indicate great A-level grades, needed to do medicine. Medicine takes some of the best of our generation, and you have to do some of the hardest A-level subjects. If you get great A-level, is what you need for most medicine courses, Why would your uni care about your A* in GCSE R.E ?. GCSE play a part but a much minor one than teachers claim, im guessing your at the GCSE stage...if your doing A-level, you should know the general idea of what i've said is true.
    This really isn't true. GCSEs form a large proponent of medicine applications. Even those that don't use them in their selection process will have minimum requirements. A C in English and maths will seriously limit where someone could apply to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    This really isn't true. GCSEs form a large proponent of medicine applications. Even those that don't use them in their selection process will have minimum requirements. A C in English and maths will seriously limit where someone could apply to medicine.
    As someone with more exp on this, ill have to take your word on it. though wouldnt you agree, that good A-level +UKCAT are what really matter, and most people with good enough A-levels and hopes to get into medicine will have decent enough GCSE's to get into it. in the off chance you have great A-levels and horrible GCSE's which would be pretty uncommon IMO, theres still a chance of getting to medicine. (though i guess there always a fool hope for anything)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As someone with more exp on this, ill have to take your word on it. though wouldnt you agree, that good A-level +UKCAT are what really matter, and most people with good enough A-levels and hopes to get into medicine will have decent enough GCSE's to get into it. in the off chance you have great A-levels and horrible GCSE's which would be pretty uncommon IMO, theres still a chance of getting to medicine. (though i guess there always a fool hope for anything)
    It depends where you apply as to whether good a-levels and UKCAT are enough. If you meet the minimum requirements for GCSE then places like Newcastle will look at UKCAT for interview selection. But if you have poor GCSEs and apply to places like Cardiff, you could have 800 UKCAT and A*A*A*A* at a-level and it would still be a rejection.

I don't always think GCSEs are a good prediction of future a-level performance. Some people perform badly at GCSE and use that as a kick up the backside to work hard for a-level, whilst others become complacent because they got good GCSEs. However, this doesn't stop GCSEs from having a considerable impact on where you can apply to study medicine. (There are still plenty of options for people with weaker GCSEs, but you have to do your homework, kick ass on the entrance exams and apply strategically).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It depends where you apply as to whether good a-levels and UKCAT are enough. If you meet the minimum requirements for GCSE then places like Newcastle will look at UKCAT for interview selection. But if you have poor GCSEs and apply to places like Cardiff, you could have 800 UKCAT and A*A*A*A* at a-level and it would still be a rejection.

I don't always think GCSEs are a good prediction of future a-level performance. Some people perform badly at GCSE and use that as a kick up the backside to work hard for a-level, whilst others become complacent because they got good GCSEs. However, this doesn't stop GCSEs from having a considerable impact on where you can apply to study medicine. (There are still plenty of options for people with weaker GCSEs, but you have to do your homework, kick ass on the entrance exams and apply strategically).
    These are my results:
    Eng lit - A*Eng lang - BMaths - AStatistics - AICT - AArt - BHistory - AGerman - ACore - BAdditional - BFurther - ARS - A*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.