Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do I convert numbers to signed 8-bit binary?
    Will the value be the same, if it was signed or unsigned?

For example, I've got the number 22 as 00010110, but that's in unsigned 8-bit binary, would it be the same for signed 8-bit binary?

ReputationRep:
    'Unsigned can hold a larger positive value, and no negative value. Unsigned uses the leading bit as a part of the value, while the signed version uses the left-most-bit to identify if the number is positive or negative. Signed integers can hold both positive and negative numbers.'

Do you study computing at A-level at all? In my Computing course we learn two ways to give a binary integer a sign; 2's compliment and sign and magnitude. I'm not sure if there are more standard ways (I'm not at uni yet!), but these are two methods I know that are used to represent negative and positive numbers in binary.

For an 8 bit byte, with 2's compliment...

Name:  minus222scompliment.png
Views: 40
Size:  3.9 KB

For an 8 bit byte, with sign and magnitude...

Name:  minus22signandmagnitude.png
Views: 43
Size:  6.1 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me123456789)
    How do I convert numbers to signed 8-bit binary?
    Will the value be the same, if it was signed or unsigned?

For example, I've got the number 22 as 00010110, but that's in unsigned 8-bit binary, would it be the same for signed 8-bit binary?
    That would be the same since it is not negative. If it was a negative number we use the eighth bit as a sign. We set it to 1 for negative and 0 for positive. The number is then written normally. As you can imagine this reduces the number of numbers we can represent since we waste the eighth bit as a sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    That would be the same since it is not negative. If it was a negative number we use the eighth bit as a sign. We set it to 1 for negative and 0 for positive. The number is then written normally. As you can imagine this reduces the number of numbers we can represent since we waste the eighth bit as a sign.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    No problem. Absolutely love the Profile picture/avatar btw xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebookley)
    'Unsigned can hold a larger positive value, and no negative value. Unsigned uses the leading bit as a part of the value, while the signed version uses the left-most-bit to identify if the number is positive or negative. Signed integers can hold both positive and negative numbers.'

Do you study computing at A-level at all? In my Computing course we learn two ways to give a binary integer a sign; 2's compliment and sign and magnitude. I'm not sure if there are more standard ways (I'm not at uni yet!), but these are two methods I know that are used to represent negative and positive numbers in binary.
    Thank you

I never did it at A-level, but I'm doing it at university now.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I never did it at A-level, but I'm doing it at university now.
    Oh wow! I hope you're enjoying it, hopefully I'll be in the same position in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebookley)
    Oh wow! I hope you're enjoying it, hopefully I'll be in the same position in September!
    It is quite good actually I did struggle with it though
    Ooh, you're doing cs? Where are you going?

No problem. Absolutely love the Profile picture/avatar btw xD
    ]

I don't know if you do this in your A-level but do any of you know how to evaluate the following expression
    R2C = M2C – D2C

ReputationRep:
    It is quite good actually I did struggle with it though
    Ooh, you're doing cs? Where are you going?

]

I don't know if you do this in your A-level but do any of you know how to evaluate the following expression
    R2C = M2C – D2C
    Afraid not, what topic is this?

ReputationRep:
    Afraid not, what topic is this?
    I got it now

It was data representation, two's complement

ReputationRep:
    I got it now

It was data representation, two's complement
    o.0 we do two's complement but I've never seen R2C and all that :/ ? I've only seen it in relation to Binary?

ReputationRep:
    o.0 we do two's complement but I've never seen R2C and all that :/ ? I've only seen it in relation to Binary?
    Yeah it's still about the 8-bit binary stuff but I had to use two's complement
    :dontknow: If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's still about the 8-bit binary stuff but I had to use two's complement
    :dontknow: If that makes sense...
    o.0
    So what exactly does this mean?
    R2C = M2C – D2C
    Sorry I'm very curious XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.