Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I'm in a bit of pain and was just wondering what natural remedies people use to ease or cure period pain. I can think of:

Hot water bottle
    Hot drink
    Hot shower
    Rubbing the stomach
    Gentle exercise?

I also use Paracetamol if I really feel the need to, although I try not to. Growing up, my Mum used to avoid letting me take medication for it and that's sort of stuck with me, although I don't see the problem if you're in pain

x

ReputationRep:
    One thing that I think is overlooked is breathing. I find that making an effort to breathe deeply when I'm having cramps makes them easier to tolerate, even though it's really tempting to just tense up! It's important to try and breath deeply and relax when you're having the cramps, it will make them less severe and take your mind off them a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    One thing that I think is overlooked is breathing. I find that making an effort to breathe deeply when I'm having cramps makes them easier to tolerate, even though it's really tempting to just tense up! It's important to try and breath deeply and relax when you're having the cramps, it will make them less severe and take your mind off them a bit
    Thanks, I'm trying this now and it's working x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I eat a lot of softmints/mentos when I'm on my period but I'm not sure if it helps the pain itself or just distracts me for a while until the worst has passed lol

ReputationRep:
    sleep on ur stomach... and eat food that's what I do...

ReputationRep:
    ICE CREAM!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, loving the food remedies I want cookie dough ice cream now x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Everyone always recommends heat packs and stuff, but they made me feel awful. I'm super sensitive to heat so they'd make me feel ill and tired, and I'd get really irritable and feel worse I actually found ice packs helped a lot, and being in a really cold room under loads of blankets. I found the best remedy, for myself at least, was to be comfortable. I'd lay down on the sofa, watch TV or some films, drink loads of crappy sugar-filled drinks and eat all the carbs in the world. Looking back, it's probably a good job I don't do that now. I was a heart attack waiting to happen lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Things that help me or that I have heard help:
    Peppermint tea- it's a natural muscle relaxant and worked wonders for pain I had after surgery. I highly suggest you try it.
    Natural painkillers/ muscle relaxants/ relaxing stuff (google/ holland and barret if interested)
    Yoga/ light exercise/ keeping at least a bit active
    Fresh air, hydration, yummy food, general comfort (lazing around in bed!)
    Heat/ cool patches/ gels/ roll ons
    loose fitting clothes
    bath, heat etc (the stuff you mentioned)
    distraction
    Painkillers are totally fine to use if you are in pain unless you're using them for weeks on end. Maybe look into "period pain killers"?- not sure if they actually work better or are just a money grab :P

Quick note: if your pain is significant enough that you can't do basic daily things or that painkillers don't help, see a doctor. There are some lady and gut issues that are easy to miss that cause increased period pain. It's worth checking if you have significant pain just to be sure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.