Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    all the female animals are so dull looking?

like why cant females be colourful to attract males, why do males have to do the attraction and putting in effort? thats not equality, thats secksist and im sure a feminist would agree with me on this.

i mean even birds have to dance now adays to get attention of some average chick

i dun get it

ReputationRep:
    Oh mah gosh...

That means all of us humans are inverted... It's the men that are meant to get all dolled up and stuff. Gosh. Gosh. What a revelation ihatePE.

ReputationRep:
    Courtship - click this link below. Dont ask unnecessary questions - just google it smh

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-birds-more-c/

(Original post by ihatePE)

like why cant females be colourful to attract males, why do males have to do the attraction and putting in effort? thats not equality, thats secksist and im sure a feminist would agree with me on this.

i mean even birds have to dance now adays to get attention of some average chick

i dun get it

Just use this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

i dun get it
    that brown bird's like "what the **** brah idk you"

ReputationRep:
    Dat rejection tho

ReputationRep:
    Sexist thread, and animals do not have beauty standards.

(Original post by serah.exe)
    x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Petriarchy confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness it's because in nature males compete for females so to appeal to the choosy females' sensory bias, males develop exaggerated and colourful traits because of sexual selection and that drives sex-specific evolution of such traits.

ReputationRep:
    I know your question isn't entirely serious but I'm bored.

As females are normally the ones that carry the offspring as they gestate and then care for them, females experience a longer period of time between broods/sets of offspring. This is compared to the male which can go around fertilising females as much as he likes so the time between offspring is small.

Therefore, a female only needs to mate occasionally to reach maximum reproduction rate whereas a male will have to mate pretty much constantly. From the female's perspective, 'demand' for males is low but from the male's perspective, demand for females is high. Females need fewer males than is available and males need more females than is available. So it is the males that need to invest the resources into physical characteristics to be one of the 'few', not the females which are almost always one of the many.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    There is a very good reason for that actually and it is because of natural selection.
    The females job is to sit on eggs and a duller bird blends in more with the surroundings so is therefore less easy to spot by a predator and killed.
    This is also why males look drab in their winter eclipse plumage when they are moulting because they lose their primary feathers during this period so are unable to fly therefore need to be dull to stop them being attacked because they could not fly away in this instance.
    However this is not the case for all birds unlike the mallard you have illustrated (as it is most common in wildfowl) indeed with the red necked phalarope the female is the one who is brightly coloured and this is because she is the one doing the courtship.
    Very often both members of the species have the same plumage such as the great crested grebe as both engage in the wooing and courtship which is the primary purpose of such adornment.
    Carry on :rolleyes:
    Cant believe i broke my hiatus for this

ReputationRep:

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    There is a very good reason for that actually and it is because of natural selection.
    The females job is to sit on eggs and a duller bird blends in more with the surroundings so is therefore less easy to spot by a predator and killed.
    This is also why males look drab in their winter eclipse plumage when they are moulting because they lose their primary feathers during this period so are unable to fly therefore need to be dull to stop them being attacked because they could not fly away in this instance.
    However this is not the case for all birds unlike the mallard you have illustrated (as it is most common in wildfowl) indeed with the red necked phalarope the female is the one who is brightly coloured and this is because she is the one doing the courtship.
    Very often both members of the species have the same plumage such as the great crested grebe as both engage in the wooing and courtship which is the primary purpose of such adornment.
    Carry on :rolleyes:
    Cant believe i broke my hiatus for this
    i feel honoured that cavy have stopped hibernating for my threads
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by bluebookie)

i saw a video of these spiders on my fb feed :P so thats how i got this thread idea from :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    x
    she's come out her cave

ReputationRep:
    i saw a video of these spiders on my fb feed :P so thats how i got this thread idea from :hoppy:
    :hoppy:

I just wandered over to that side of YT, but I guess facebook is just as weird o.O ~those spiders gave me life though /╲/╭[ : ☯ ₒ ☯ : ]╮/╱

ReputationRep:

i dun get it
    Speak to your Biology teacher

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.