Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    Mate i completely understand where you're coming from, especially in terms of the older people being paid literally double for doing the same if not sometimes less work. I was on £3.72 an hour at 16/17 at KFC and I know how frustrating it is when you work what feels like forever but your payslip hardly ever shows over £100. Unfortunately there is very little you can do other than be looking for another, better paid job in the mean time. With it being a local company you may be able to wangle a pay rise but if they are paying you minimum wage it its very likely that is all they can afford as a small company, and may have even taken you on purely for the reason they'd only have to pay you so little. However you shouldn't be paying NI unless you are making at least £155 per week which would be over 40 hours on your wage so maybe get in touch with HMRC for a rebate.

ReputationRep:
    Your not going to get any more for the hours you work. Your boss is basically giving you minimum wage and they are not going to pay more when, if you left, someone else would very quickly take your place. The only thing i can think of is to bring your own food with you to eat that will save you £3 or £6 for a shift. it might also be worth looking at jobs closer to home then you wont have to pay for petrol. you could also work out if the bus is cheaper to use because for me travelling to work it will cost £2 on the bus and much more on petrol. everyone wants more for what they do but its not going to happen really. you can also think of when you get to 18 because your wage will increase to over £5 an hour once you get to that age and then you'll make more Also, the taxes you pay you'll get back at the end of the year if you are earning under £10,000 i think it is so the NI you pay you'll get back later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnijk)
    I'm going to try and bring my own food or maybe it could be cheaper to camp somewhere nearby in the summer than spend money on petrol?

I live in a very rural location, so there's no other jobs nearby; after sending out 50 applications this company was the only one to reply. There is no public transport at all.
    That's a bit poo with transport and camping. even if you dont get much now though the experiance will be worth it in the future and £10 is better than nothing i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnijk)
    Yes, that's the way I'm looking at it; trying to be optimistic although I feel a bit cheated.
    Yeah, its really rubbish how they pay younger workers because we do the same work so i don;t understand why we get paid less. its very annoying

ReputationRep:
    You don't pay NI until you earn a certain amount per week so.you shouldn't be worrying about that... you could ask your employer about a wage rise but realistically they aren't going to change their policy because you're unhappy, it's annoying but a lot of places pay minimum wage and have all these pay disparities... you could lookl elsewhere but if you're limited for opportunity you won't have any bargaining ability

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my class (17) works at kfc and gets like £7 something an hour

ReputationRep:
    The minimum wage disparity is indeed rather ridiculous. Imo, the top minimum wage should apply from the age of 15 at least. I don't get why they even have it set to only apply to people of certain ages. I can sort of understand if it's to make up for lack of skills; but at the end of the day, if an employee lacks skills, their employer can just fire them for not performing their work to the expected standard. And if it's to make up for lack of qualifications; then well... most jobs that young people get are actually taken up by unqualified adults(retail work, pubs, cafes, etc.), so that would just be stupid reasoning.

So yeah, I feel for you. I really do. The minimum wage system is just broken. And it's unfortunate that you can't find any better jobs in your area. I'm afraid that if that's true though, then you'll just have to suffer through it for a while. Of course, the one good thing about the experience is that you should get a reference at the end of it, so you'll have a better chance of getting a good, well-paid job later.

ReputationRep:
    That's really low, it might be worth looking at other jobs. I was on 5.50 at a restaurant when I was 16, then 7.60 at Tesco and now 8.50 at Wedding service venue. Even then the job you have will give you loads of experience and propel you into more higher paid jobs. And anyway, you're a student so you'll be skint a week after payday no matter how much you earn

ReputationRep:
    A girl in your class is lying then. KFC company policy is set to minimum wage, even low level managers only get slightly more than that. For example when I worked there a year ago the team leaders were only paid 6.85 an hour though I know this has gone up slightly due to the living wage

ReputationRep:
    The thing is thats the minimum wage...it was probably a huge part of why they picked you over another candidate..they can pay you so much less. You can try speaking to your manager but he is under no obligation to pay you more as he is already complying with the law..its annoying but thats how it goes =/

ReputationRep:
    That is an absolute piss-take. At u18 at SportsDirect is was on £4.50, and they're not exactly famed for being generous.

I'd put your point across to your manager like you have here. You do the same work, if not more as others, but get paid almost half, and your travel costs are astronomical. Just ask if they could consider putting you up to a fiver otherwise you may have to consider alternative employment. If they say no, they're probably not the sort of company you want to work for TBH.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mnijk)
    I also want to reiterate that I am not going to change jobs or do anything that might cause me to lose employment, everything about this job is perfect and there's nothing I'd do to change it.. apart from the pay, of course.
    You're not going to get more money just because you want more money. If that was how things worked then Jon Bon Jovi would be cooking my dinner tonight.

You need to think about why you deserve to be paid more. Do you work well within the team? Have you learnt how to work the till or stack shelves or whatever with minimal supervision? Do customers comment how lovely you are?

You might not succeed because you are being paid the legal minimum. But you need to show that they can't just replace you and get someone equally as good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.