What does the typical day of an investment banker entail?

Watch
King Scorchy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

What do you typically have to do over the course of the day?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by King Scorchy)

What do you typically have to do over the course of the day?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=day+in+the+life...anking+analyst

Replace analyst with any of the other roles on the totem pole: associate, VP, SVP/Director, MD

Posted from TSR Mobile
midnightice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Coke
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
Coke
You get drug tested in investment banks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=day+in+the+life...anking+analyst

Replace analyst with any of the other roles on the totem pole: associate, VP, SVP/Director, MD

I love the link, but I just think Google isn't the best place to look - the information could be too short, not informal enough, or too American to be informative enough.

I want to hear what a real investment baker on here has to say!
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love the link, but I just think Google isn't the best place to look - the information could be too short, not informal enough, or too American to be informative enough.

I want to hear what a real investment baker on here has to say!
It'll be largely the same information.. UK i-bankers aren't doing anything differently to a US i-banker. This is a pretty spoken about topic if I'm honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
It'll be largely the same information.. UK i-bankers aren't doing anything differently to a US i-banker. This is a pretty spoken about topic if I'm honest
Thanks, I'm reading about it now.
KTS89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You get drug tested in investment banks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
That blows all the fun then (no pun intended).
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eat, Sleep, Excel, Repeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Commercial Paper)
Yeah, after reading about it I realised investment bankers are virtually unskilled!
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't forget powerpoint..

might make a thread going through a sort of average task required to do in m&a and what you'd be expected to actually do..

because a lot of people throw out words like modelling, pitch books, market valuations without actually knowing what they are
BizzStrut
Badges: 2
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, after reading about it I realised investment bankers are virtually unskilled!
It is kind of interesting that we talk about the skills learned in IB as an analyst and then also say that a monkey could do it and it's menial work.
DamnDaniel2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)

might make a thread going through a sort of average task required to do in m&a and what you'd be expected to actually do..

because a lot of people throw out words like modelling, pitch books, market valuations without actually knowing what they are
I think that would be really good. Honestly people need to understand the jobs of IBs in any division before they speak ill about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BizzStrut)
It is kind of interesting that we talk about the skills learned in IB as an analyst and then also say that a monkey could do it and it's menial work.
It's because the most important skills you learn are probably the softer skills and relationships you build, rather than the hard ones. I can go through multiple textbooks and pick up similar skills to an Analyst, but the softer skills - you need exposure and experience to gain that.
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'll start...

Modelling - pushing refresh in Excel, making stuff look neat, add/subtract/divide etc.
Pitch Books - correcting typos plus efficient use of Copy and Paste, reading an MDs mental hand writing
Market Valuations - hitting 'download' on a Bloomberg Terminal
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DamnDaniel2)
I think that would be really good. Honestly people need to understand the jobs of IBs in any division before they speak ill about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just posted one:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4142755

I'll start...

Modelling - pushing refresh in Excel, making stuff look neat, add/subtract/divide etc.
Pitch Books - correcting typos plus efficient use of Copy and Paste, reading an MDs mental hand writing
Market Valuations - hitting 'download' on a Bloomberg Terminal
look at my guide on how to m&a xD just made a thread now.. the red ink pen #1 #1 #1

using broker forecast when you cba
Commercial Paper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
just posted one

look at my guide on how to m&a xD just made a thread now.. the red ink pen #1 #1 #1

using broker forecast when you cba
I take it you already had that from your BB and just edited it. Surely you did not create it from scratch?!

Very impressive, your tone is spot on. If only they showed this at those recruitment events...

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I take it you already had that from your BB and just edited it. Surely you did not create it from scratch?!

Very impressive, your tone is spot on. If only they showed this at those recruitment events...

Posted from TSR Mobile
you can't email yourself work documents

made that just now and have that and the excel file i made for it, but thought including excel screenies will be a bit too much and boring for viewers. once you've done a few, it's pretty simple to do for any company as long as the required info is readily available online
BizzStrut
Badges: 2
Report 4 years ago
It's because the most important skills you learn are probably the softer skills and relationships you build, rather than the hard ones. I can go through multiple textbooks and pick up similar skills to an Analyst, but the softer skills - you need exposure and experience to gain that.
I wonder whether these soft skills would be more quickly developed in, say, a sales environment where you're trained and taught people-oriented skills then tested by fire (commission based on sales) for a 3 month stint and/or as a management consultant where you have exposure to executives, CEOs, and spend a lot of time presenting.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't forget the hardcore repetition that ingrains your modelling and analysis skills to insane levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (86)
14.01%
I'm not sure (29)
4.72%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (193)
31.43%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (293)
47.72%

Watched Threads