The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Spock's Socks
I used to feel nothing but disappointment and anger towards my mum. I wouldn't go as far to say I absolutely hated her but I had no respect for her and was disappointed in her. While I was growing up, she left me with my grandparents to go out with men and even told them she didn't have a kid and I was her sister and generally do everything but be a mum to me. When we were together we would argue, physically fight, she would say I was the reason she didn't have friends or a man and all that crap. This went on since I was a child right until I moved out when I was 18. I didn't call her mum, I called her by her first name up until we made up fully when I was 21/22.

She also tried to split me and my partner up. She told my college at the time I was on drugs and I was getting abused which was absolute nonsense and we didn't talk for 2 years after that.

We made up 3 years ago and ever since its been brilliant. I didn't believe people could change but she did. She isn't perfect but now I am her number one priority, she texts me every minute of the day nearly, her and my bf get on really well now and we see each other most days and we haven't argued since we made up.

My mum had some mental problems when she was my age and she was abused by my dad and she didn't realise she took it out on me and that let to us not having a relationship while I was growing up but she has seen what she has done and sought help and forever regrets the way things went but is glad we managed to fix things before it was too late.

Thinking back on the old her, I still feel resentment in the pit of my stomach because at times she was evil and I partly blame her for some of the problems I have but she's changed and I focus on that instead and she can't do enough for me now and each day we learn more and more about each other
Posted from TSR Mobile

:congrats::congrats:

WOW, JUST WOW

Like the last thing I would ever do in this world is go out of my way and say I hate my mother.

Your own mother, c'mon. This is not some ex boyfriend or second cousin, this is your mother you're talking about, loved you enough to carry you for 9 F*cking months and provide for you. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gotta tear in my eye now. :cry2:
Original post by Listers
Your mother sounds like one of those vicious wicked drug filled crazy mothers whose just looking to reach out to their kids but don't know the right way to do it, and explode into a rage of emotions at the slightest chance.

You sound like you're still trying to make excuses for her. My mother could literally spend the night at the pub while I'm fighting for my life in hospital and you people will still find a way to explain why she deserves my love.

Original post by Spock's Socks
I used to feel nothing but disappointment and anger towards my mum. I wouldn't go as far to say I absolutely hated her but I had no respect for her and was disappointed in her. While I was growing up, she left me with my grandparents to go out with men and even told them she didn't have a kid and I was her sister and generally do everything but be a mum to me. When we were together we would argue, physically fight, she would say I was the reason she didn't have friends or a man and all that crap. This went on since I was a child right until I moved out when I was 18. I didn't call her mum, I called her by her first name up until we made up fully when I was 21/22.

She also tried to split me and my partner up. She told my college at the time I was on drugs and I was getting abused which was absolute nonsense and we didn't talk for 2 years after that.

We made up 3 years ago and ever since its been brilliant. I didn't believe people could change but she did. She isn't perfect but now I am her number one priority, she texts me every minute of the day nearly, her and my bf get on really well now and we see each other most days and we haven't argued since we made up.

My mum had some mental problems when she was my age and she was abused by my dad and she didn't realise she took it out on me and that let to us not having a relationship while I was growing up but she has seen what she has done and sought help and forever regrets the way things went but is glad we managed to fix things before it was too late.

Thinking back on the old her, I still feel resentment in the pit of my stomach because at times she was evil and I partly blame her for some of the problems I have but she's changed and I focus on that instead and she can't do enough for me now and each day we learn more and more about each other
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's a nice story, glad to hear that miracles do happen. I've given up all hope of reconciling with my mother, mainly because she doesn't even see anything wrong in her actions and I'm not allowed to mention it.
It's heartbreaking to see posts like this where parents and children feel so much hatred for each other. My family member used to beat the **** out of me whenever i went near him but I still love him unconditionally and I'm thankful that God has allowed him into my life along with the rest of my family. Love for any family member is not earned- we should make amends or love them for who they are.
Reply 63
I don't particularly love my mum, I appreciate her, but she's never treated me the same way a normal mum would, there is the occasional time where she would emotionally abuse me, but that's it.
I strongly dislike my dad, he's put me through things an 8 year old should NOT go through, but he died last year, but weirdly I miss him.
How can you not love your own mother? The person who raised you into the person you are, And whose taken care of you for all these years..
Mine means everything to me. I can't imagine life without her : )
I love my mumsy. Not saying there aren't a hundred things I wouldn't change about her and she hasn't been the world's greatest mum, but I'd be a blue-faced liar if I said she didn't/doesn't care about me and she always put my siblings and I first, especially financially. Now I'm a man and financially better off than she is, it makes me feel good to be able to help her out when she's struggling and I know she appreciates it.

My dad, on the other hand.... the less said the better, frankly.
I am reading a book called 'Real Love' by Greg Bear. It's opened my eyes and helped me a lot. It explains so much regarding love parents relationships. A massive eye opener for me and can help you find peace and understanding in what feels should be the greatest most loving relationship and yet may feel the complete opposite.
She's alright but she ain't all that
Just saying I feel for you and hope you know you are loved unconditionally and your worth is immeasurable. Your parents love will never be an indicator of that. You are special unique and loveable mo matter what. You can choose happiness and be happy. The book 'Real love' by Greg Bear helped me really feel that. I would recommend it to you. Life-changing for me.
Original post by Green167
I don't particularly love my mum, I appreciate her, but she's never treated me the same way a normal mum would, there is the occasional time where she would emotionally abuse me, but that's it.
I strongly dislike my dad, he's put me through things an 8 year old should NOT go through, but he died last year, but weirdly I miss him.
Reply 69
For some people, their parents treated then like s***, my mum has told me multiple times that I'm the reason her life was ruined, that she wishes I was never born etc. My dad tried to run away with me, and nearly got me raped. My dad was planning to take me to another country to live with someone he cheated on my mother with, but then he died the day before he was going to put his plan in action.
I don't love either of them, but I'll still respect my mum who emotionally abuses me.
Reply 70
I don't love my mother at all. Mainly because I haven't seen her in 13 years. She probably doesn't even know I'm at uni or what my brother or my sister are doing. She doesn't care. :laugh:
It is hit and miss, I may love her but I don't actually like her because of what's she's done to me. My dad is the most amazing person I know. I'd happily give her a one way plane ticket and never see her again.
(edited 7 years ago)
My mum rules my life with an iron fist. She's like the mum version of Stalin. :lol: She always says "my word is a law", and it basically is. Anything she says, goes, no argument whatsoever. No doubt this leads to some pretty heated arguments, especially since we both have incredibly stubborn personalities.

But at the end of the day, I'm lucky to have her, because I know she really does care about me. She always takes my side and defends me, and always is there for me when I need her :redface:

I'm sorry, that some of you don't have this kind of relationship with your mums. All families are different some in a good way, and some in a not so good way. :yep: But it's not the end of the world. People might change. And even if they don't, we'll all die anyway...:h:
Reply 73
Original post by Trapz99
Appreciate how lucky you are to have a mother. Not everyone does. How you can dislike someone who has devoted her life to bringing you up and caring for you is unbelievable.

How can you assume someone has devoted their life to someone just because they gave birth to them?

OP I feel the same about my other. It's awkward but that's the way it is.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I just don't. It gets a little difficult during times like mother's day when I have to give her a random gift and card and everyone's saying how much they love their mother and I don't know what that feels like.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate her. I would take care of her and make sure she is comfortable in her old age. And I will try and visit at least twice a year. But I won't look forward to it. Meh.

Anyone else not love their mother?

Me, I know what you mean. I don't know if I love my mother, I don't hate her or want her to die or anything I just don't particularly like her.
Original post by Listers
C'mon bro.

Regardless of what she did to you.

This is your mother you're talking about, have some respect.

I don't think that is a fair thing to say. Not all Mother's are great.
OP- I can sort of relate. I do love my Mum but sometimes she can be.... (Let's just leave it there lol)
I am moving out in 3 months and I couldn't be happier, and partly of that reason is because I am moving away from my Mum and she restricts me from doing things, plus we have different views on EVERYTHING and we don't have much in common. I wished that me and my Mum got on a little bit more though.
Original post by loveleest
I don't think that is a fair thing to say. Not all Mother's are great.

Just a teensy bit curious...do you love one parent over another? or not really.
(sorry if this is all in your face :s-smilie:)
Original post by BirdIsWord
How can you not love your own mother? The person who raised you into the person you are, And whose taken care of you for all these years..
Mine means everything to me. I can't imagine life without her : )

But....

Original post by Green167
For some people, their parents treated then like s***, my mum has told me multiple times that I'm the reason her life was ruined, that she wishes I was never born etc. My dad tried to run away with me, and nearly got me raped. My dad was planning to take me to another country to live with someone he cheated on my mother with, but then he died the day before he was going to put his plan in action.
I don't love either of them, but I'll still respect my mum who emotionally abuses me.

Seriously, stop saying ignorant things like that. Not all Mothers are great Mothers, some are really bad.

I am really sorry about that :frown: Hope you are okay now
Original post by homeland.lsw
Just a teensy bit curious...do you love one parent over another? or not really.
(sorry if this is all in your face :s-smilie:)

Yes, I prefer my Mum to my Dad 100%. I haven't spoken to my Dad in over 10 years now, me and my Mum don't have a perfect relationship but my Dad was just never there for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending