Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am going to sit the Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT) this year as a part of my application. I started preparing for it by solving past papers and I personally detected two major problems - the time we are given and the style of our solutions. I normally do not try to write clearly and understandably which is not a problem at school. However, this may result in me not getting all the marks if I do not succeed in convincing the people who are going to check it afterwards at Oxford. On the other hand, when I do pay attention to my solutions and whether they are as good as possible, I end up wasting 30-45 minutes for a question that I normally finish for 15 minutes. This is a big concern, because I might not be able to complete the tasks given fast enough and then have a miserable result on the exam. So, is it worth it to spend so much time writing down every detail and possibly have no time left for the whole test, or I'd better try doing it as fast as possible so as to manage to solve the tasks given even it worsens the clarity of my solutions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you include all the steps, but don't go into excruciating detail. Just enough that they follow the logic of what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply!
    However, does this mean that I can use some of the main mathematical notations or I still have to stick to writing full sentences and explanations?

EDIT: I attached some solutions. One of the files consist of tasks written down mostly as mathematical notations. The questions are obtained from the 2011 exam, which can be found there:
    http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fil...nts/test11.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitkoofc)
    Thank you for the reply!
    However, does this mean that I can use some of the main mathematical notations or I still have to stick to writing full sentences and explanations?

EDIT: I attached some solutions. One of the files consist of tasks written down mostly as mathematical notations. The questions are obtained from the 2011 exam, which can be found there:
    http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fil...nts/test11.pdf
    The people who mark your scripts will be professors at the college to which you apply (unless you made an open application of course!)

If you use mathematical notation properly, they will understand exactly what your working means, and in my opinion might find it quite impressive that you have an interest in using real notation rather than justifying ideas in English.

Saying that, make sure it is clear to them what your intentions are, as another user said.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.