Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well I guess the title is obvious here
    How do you get over someone that you once felt was a part of you?

ReputationRep:
    In this order: friends, beer, new pursuits, time, new love. No one seems to have found a quick fix

ReputationRep:
    go out with friends. may be able to find someone new by doing this
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Time and no contact are the biggest help, plus hanging out with friends.

ReputationRep:
    block them on everything and find someone else

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if you're going through this right now. Just try to occupy yourself as much as possible. The less time that you are alone and not doing anything, the better. Or alternatively, try a new hobby maybe? I imagine that doing something new will transpose itself in a way which convinces your mind that you are about to follow an alternative path in life. ..That didn't make any sense did it.

ReputationRep:
    1) Cut all contact - that includes twitter and stuff, you don't want anything that'll remind you of them.
    2) Talk about how you feel with someone you trust, you don't have to go through feeling like crap on your own.
    3) Go out and do stuff, be out going. If you stay inside, you'll spend more time thinking about them and less time productively moving on.
    4) Do devote some time to thinking about them, but use it positively. Think about where things went wrong, but how it's made you grow up, mature, and prepared you better for whenever you're next in a relationship.
    5) Don't try and find a replacement. Focus on yourself and you'll get opportunities. Trying to find someone that will give you what your ex gave you is the worst thing you could do.

Thanks guys!
    It's nice that you're all so helpful
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The best thing you can do to move on is also the hardest thing to do - cut all contact, block them on every social media you have them on, take down any pics you have them and remove anything that reminds you of them such as a gift they gave you.

Its important to have a distraction as well. Going out with friends or taking up a new hobby or going back to an old hobby can really help. You shouldn't try and block out what you are feeling but you shouldn't sit and wallow in self pity either and that is why hobbies and activities are helpful, even if they are the last thing you feel like doing.

Don't rush out and try to meet someone else, that will only further complicate things. Take time to come to terms with things and then you can worry about dating again.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't think you should forget someone by going with someone new. Focus on yourself. Now, I don't know if you're Muslim or not but if you are, seek refuge in Allah as he will guide you. If you aren't, don't worry I'm not going to tell you to convert but I strongly recommend focusing on yourself because at the end of the day, you will only have your back among all other creatures on this Earth. This means, do what you love, cry as much as you want to. Hope I helped

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.