The Student Room Group

French AS Edexcel 2016 - June 6th

Does anyone have any predictions for the writing for the exam?
Reply 1
I think it's going to be either one of the relationship question because I haven't seen any questions on relationship or health such as smoking........anyone else????
Reply 2
Would anybody be able to give me feedback on some writing practice that I have been doing for the exam. I can't email any teachers because it is half term and I would like to know if what I am doing is correct :smile:
Original post by T.S.10
I think it's going to be either one of the relationship question because I haven't seen any questions on relationship or health such as smoking........anyone else????

urgh hope its not health that ones always harder to write for I think...

Well I've had a look through the past papers and it went like this..

May 09 - Teenagers and their bedrooms.... a private space?
May 10 - School
Jan 11 - Alcohol
Jan 13 - Learning a foreign language
May 13 - Technology
May 14 - Technology
June 15 - Sport

So looking at the topics, the ones that are missing are;

La mode
Le mariage pour tous
L'amitié
La santé
La musique
La famille?
Les drogues

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AlexLyes
Would anybody be able to give me feedback on some writing practice that I have been doing for the exam. I can't email any teachers because it is half term and I would like to know if what I am doing is correct :smile:

Hiiii I've just had a look at the first essay you did and its really good! I've just got a couple of corrections (I'm doing A2 atm but just retaking AS to bump up my UMS)

Okay so...

vie is always singular.... dunno why but it is so it'll be 'pendant leur vie' not 'Leurs vies'

You need a de in front of the verb étudier so it becomes 'Il est obligatoire d'studier'

When you're speaking about the french language you need to put le in front, I know in english we just call it 'french' but the french call it 'the french' so it becomes 'le français'

When you're saying 'je ne crois pas que' it implies doubt and so you need to use the subjunctive form of the verb (i assume you've been taught this tense?) so it becomes 'Je ne crois pas qu'il SOIT juste d'obliger....'

remember that when you've got que followed by a vowel you take away the e and put an apostrophe in its place so 'parce que ils' becomes 'parce qu'ils' and 'que on doit' becomes 'qu'on doit'

Also remember de le becomes du so when you said 'A part de français' it needs to be du français because its 'le français' and de le = du. (also capital letters don't have accents to if you're saying à part de if its starting the sentence off then the A doesn't have an accent :smile: )

finally just another thing about the subjunctive, in your last sentence 'J'espère que vous pensez que mes idées SOIENT intéressantes'... 'J'espère que' signifies doubt and is a sentence structure that always takes the subjunctive :smile:

Other than that the content was really good!
Hope this helped!!
Has anyone got any tips for the listening part of the exam, other than doing loads of practice papers?
Reply 6
Original post by HarrietLGH98
Hiiii I've just had a look at the first essay you did and its really good! I've just got a couple of corrections (I'm doing A2 atm but just retaking AS to bump up my UMS)

Okay so...

vie is always singular.... dunno why but it is so it'll be 'pendant leur vie' not 'Leurs vies'

You need a de in front of the verb étudier so it becomes 'Il est obligatoire d'studier'

When you're speaking about the french language you need to put le in front, I know in english we just call it 'french' but the french call it 'the french' so it becomes 'le français'

When you're saying 'je ne crois pas que' it implies doubt and so you need to use the subjunctive form of the verb (i assume you've been taught this tense?) so it becomes 'Je ne crois pas qu'il SOIT juste d'obliger....'

remember that when you've got que followed by a vowel you take away the e and put an apostrophe in its place so 'parce que ils' becomes 'parce qu'ils' and 'que on doit' becomes 'qu'on doit'

Also remember de le becomes du so when you said 'A part de français' it needs to be du français because its 'le français' and de le = du. (also capital letters don't have accents to if you're saying à part de if its starting the sentence off then the A doesn't have an accent :smile: )

finally just another thing about the subjunctive, in your last sentence 'J'espère que vous pensez que mes idées SOIENT intéressantes'... 'J'espère que' signifies doubt and is a sentence structure that always takes the subjunctive :smile:

Hope this helped!!

Thanks this has been really helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainScrew
Has anyone got any tips for the listening part of the exam, other than doing loads of practice papers?

I found this really old BBC languages resource called MaFrance http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/ which has lots of different videos with listening comprehensions questions thrown in and also grammar and vocab tips and practice exercises.
Original post by CaptainScrew

Listen to the French radio/news and watch some French films the night before :biggrin:

Okay so...

Hope this helped!!

Its defo not à part du francais, because the phrase doesn't use de. Hence it's just à part le francais.
Original post by Roccocuffaro
Its defo not à part du francais, because the phrase doesn't use de. Hence it's just à part le francais.

oops thanks! I could've sworn it used 'de'... good job I didn't use it in my essay today!

:P
How did everyone find the exam???
How did everyone find the exam???

pretty good :smile:, although the reading section on male and female drivers kinda threw me off
Original post by CierraBelle
pretty good :smile:, although the reading section on male and female drivers kinda threw me off

Yeah that one was the most difficult out of the whole paper tbh, I spent quite a while on it and I think for some of the questions I was overthinking it! But I got there in the end and overall I thought the paper was a good one... a lot easier than the one I did last year!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending