The Student Room Group

Has anyone got any tips on how to hold your bladder? [SERIOUS]

hi everyone, i have a really strange question

so on tuesday i got my english lang exam and as many of you know, the exam lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes.

my problem that i am facing is that i have a bladder problem and i dont want to wet myself during the exam.

i dont want to get up and go to the toilet because it would waste 10 minutes of my time and i cant face losing time within the exam.

so im asking you lot. what do you think i should do? any tips?
Make sure you use it right before, and try not to drink too much water before/during the exam. I've heard sitting with your legs crossed helps too :cute:
Plenty of people use the toilet in an exam, can understand you don't want to waste time but it doesn't take you 10 minutes to pee surely?

If you really think it's going to be a problem, use incontinence wear? Nobody would notice.

And wow, some weird stuff comes up on google when you type these kind of questions in.
Reply 3
Original post by Wahrheit
Plenty of people use the toilet in an exam, can understand you don't want to waste time but it doesn't take you 10 minutes to pee surely?

1) because you need all 2 hours 15 mins for the english lang exam as there is alot to write about

2) this is my final time to get it, as im in year 13 and resitiing for the 6th time. i cant waste time

if i do get up to the toilet, do they pause the clock? or do i lose time?
Original post by Segamad66
1) because you need all 2 hours 15 mins for the english lang exam as there is alot to write about

2) this is my final time to get it, as im in year 13 and resitiing for the 6th time. i cant waste time

if i do get up to the toilet, do they pause the clock? or do i lose time?

You lose time, I believe
I used to be such a boss at holding in the need to pee when I was in Year 8/9. Sadly, that time has passed. :frown:

so on tuesday i got my english lang exam and as many of you know, the exam lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes.

my problem that i am facing is that i have a bladder problem and i dont want to wet myself during the exam.

i dont want to get up and go to the toilet because it would waste 10 minutes of my time and i cant face losing time within the exam.

have you heard of kegal exercises? they help with he erm muscles down there. i do them all the time!! really helps with the control of the bladder, and you can them wherever and whenever!
it really helps in exams for me because i drink a whole bottle of water during it :yep:
Have you seen a doctor about this? Otherwise, the only things that you can really do are go before and try not to drink too much fluid before/during the exam. Try to avoid thinking about it during the exam also.
Reply 8

If you have a medically diagnosed condition you could try to ask for extra time to accommodate toilet breaks? You could also avoid drinking a lot of liquids 1 hour before the exam or so. if getting extra time is impossible, when you are doing practise papers, do it under exam conditions and calculate time you would use to go to the toilet out, so instead of giving yourself 2 hours to solve he paper, give 1 hour fifty minutes, so you are trained in finishing earlier?
Reply 9
If your bladder weakness is due to a medical condition, you should be entitled to extra time in the exam in case time is used up by going to the toilet. Have you ever asked anyone about this? It may be too late now to sort out, but if you're considering going on to university it might be something to bring up to them.

Otherwise I'd say just follow the advice already given. Go right before you enter the exam room, try to drink as little as possible and maybe consider wearing incontinence pads just in case.
Reply 10
Original post by flyingpanda
I used to be such a boss at holding in the need to pee when I was in Year 8/9. Sadly, that time has passed. :frown:

What happened? Are you ok?

Did you end up ok?
Original post by Eagle.s
What happened? Are you ok?

Hiya. I'm going to close this thread cos it's old and that gets confusing with people seeing the original post and not realising it's old. It seems you might be worried about this yourself though so if you do want to discuss it please feel free to make a new thread.
And just to let you know you can request rest breaks in your exams. So if you do have problems with holding your bladder for that length of time just let your school know and they can make sure there is somebody who can take you for a rest break so you can pee. Rest breaks pause your exam time so you won't be missing any of your time.
You should probably be able to go pee if you need to anyway, but I would check with your school just to be sure so you don't end up missing out on a valuable few minutes or causing yourself discomfort or distraction from trying to hold it.

Latest