Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your opinions on facial transplantation? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we allow facial transplantations?
    Yes
    55.56%
    No
    33.33%
    I don't know
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    Sup dudes,

So I'm doing my EPQ on the ethical connotations of facial transplantation and was wondering what is the general public opinion on the procedure. It is so complicated ethically due to problems arising with limited supply ( as it has to be harvested from a recently deceased human), identity issues, consent issues and quality of life (immunodepressants for the rest of your life). Do you feel we should experiment more or try to demystify the stigma surrounding disfigured people?

ReputationRep:
    Wearing a dead person's face? I didn't know that was a thing.
    :eek:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think its a good thing, with the correct safeguards put into place. OP,try putting a poll up.

ReputationRep:
    Literally no idea what it is..

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good thing. Provided that both sides agree to it, having a new face if your old one has been disfigured will help you to lead a normal life. I think that even if we try to get rid of the stigma, if your face has been damaged then you'll still get people looking at you, whereas if you get a transplant then you have a chance to not have to go through all the stress of being judged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassriver)
    I think it's a good thing. Provided that both sides agree to it, having a new face if your old one has been disfigured will help you to lead a normal life. I think that even if we try to get rid of the stigma if your face has been damaged then you'll still get people looking at you, whereas if you get a transplant then you have a chance to not have to go through all the stress of being judged.
    But then we have issues of identity. How will feel if your father's face was used by a random person out there? Also, if facial transplantations were the norm, then the stigma of disfigured people will be higher as they will be seen in a bad light for not attempting to change their face. Another interesting idea is the fact that you can expect a reduction of around 5-10 years of your life due to the effect of constantly being under immunodepressants, is it worth sacrificing your life for how the community percieves you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etata)
    Literally no idea what it is..
    Basically, you have someone who is extremely disfigured usually due to a horrific accident getting a new face from someone who recently died. Think of an organ transplant but with an entire face.

ReputationRep:
    Like this:
    http://umm.edu/~/media/umm/images/ce...lant.jpg?la=en

ReputationRep:
    Yup. One of the better end results of a face transplants cosmetically. Kudos to the surgeons there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    But then we have issues of identity. How will feel if your father's face was used by a random person out there? Also, if facial transplantations were the norm, then the stigma of disfigured people will be higher as they will be seen in a bad light for not attempting to change their face. Another interesting idea is the fact that you can expect a reduction of around 5-10 years of your life due to the effect of constantly being under immunodepressants, is it worth sacrificing your life for how the community percieves you?
    If my father did die and wanted to donate his organs then of course I'd respect his decision, and if the face made someone else's life better as a result then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. Identity issues aren't as problematic at the moment as having to use anti-rejection drugs all the time.

Lots of people who need face transplants are unable to eat and drink properly and it's ultimately their choice as to whether or not they want to spend their lives on immunosuppressants. It wouldn't only be about how the community perceives you, people might also want to be more independent and not have to constantly rely on others for simple things like being fed. It would definitely be reviewed on a case-by-case basis as to whether or not transplantation would be the right way to go, but I think it's a procedure which could improve people's lives massively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    Basically, you have someone who is extremely disfigured usually due to a horrific accident getting a new face from someone who recently died. Think of an organ transplant but with an entire face.
    Oh I see, well I think it's ethical as long as there is consent from the person who is going to have their face removed posthumously (before they die), but I can't understand how that would work because surely most people who would need face transplants would be younger (as in far before death), in that case people who die at an early age - would they use their faces? I don't think it's right if the person hasn't specifically allowed it before they die.

ReputationRep:

A Girl Has no Name.

ReputationRep:
    I think its really cool and interesting! Can you imagine people in the future getting perfect face transplants? You could wear the face of a pretty dead women or men. Or what if you went through a severe accident and your face is just burns? You could get a face transplant and be made new again. I thinks its amazing! I don't really understand how transplants work exactly but I like the concept of people getting brand new faces to replace a damage one or a face they don't like.

People donate their organs when they die, so why can't people donate their facial tissues too?
    Consent is the key. Some people are in need of a face transplant, so there would be good coming out of it. If the person is already dead, and consent to one when alive it isn't "stealing". I doubt a dead person is going to complain about about it since... he or she is dead?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.