Church attendance needs to come back...

Watch
EastonUmmah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Now Im no great lover of Catholicism/Protestantism intact Im muslim but for the modern day person that is what is needed to really bring people back to their communities and act as a cohesive whole, rather than these separate consuming entities addicted to Facebook, soaps, casual promiscuous relationships and mall culture. Sundays used to be the day where the community would come together under the roof of jesus christ and then afterwards there would perhaps a meal/a coffee session where young and old rich and poor would again come together. Its good in so many ways, encouraging benevolence and keeping the morality of young men and women in check as well.

The current reality is very disturbing indeed. You have individuals virtually chained to their phones and computers rarely speaking face to face with a soul outside of their work, you have 20 year old women with kids from several different fathers, you have people that work so often that all they do in their downtime is cut the lawn watch Corrie and get pissed, you have 45 year olds still living on their own. Bringing back religion and morality in to the fold and making it the focal point of government policy is what is required. It all starts with making Sunday sacred again.
KloppOClock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you're crazy
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EastonUmmah)
Now Im no great lover of Catholicism/Protestantism intact Im muslim but for the modern day cracker that is what is needed to really bring people back to their communities and act as a cohesive whole, rather than these separate consuming entities addicted to Facebook, soaps, casual promiscuous relationships and mall culture. Sundays used to be the day where the community would come together under the roof of jesus christ and then afterwards there would perhaps a meal/a coffee session where young and old rich and poor would again come together. Its good in so many ways, encouraging benevolence and keeping the morality of young men and women in check as well.

The current reality is very disturbing indeed. You have individuals virtually chained to their phones and computers rarely speaking face to face with a soul outside of their work, you have 20 year old women with kids from several different fathers, you have people that work so often that all they do in their downtime is cut the lawn watch Corrie and get pissed, you have 45 year olds still living on their own. Bringing back religion and morality in to the fold and making it the focal point of government policy is what is required. It all starts with making Sunday sacred again.
You do realise that the Biblical 'shabbat' is actually a Saturday, not a sunday, right?
Gold-Confetti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey man if you want to do that, no one is stopping you. However for me, and many people like me, religion can stay firmly where it is- outside of the law and government, and away from my life. I'm a happy atheist and would like to stay that way!
The way of life you just described is well and truly in the past, and society is better for it in my opinion. Free choice in lifestyle is more accessible now than ever before, and that's how things should be.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
did you just say "modern day cracker"...?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sarah sahara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think its a great idea. Two of my best friends were from church. You meet many kind people who are very accepting no matter who you are!
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sarah sahara)
I think its a great idea. Two of my best friends were from church. You meet many kind people who are very accepting no matter who you are!
Very accepting, apart from gay people and people of other religions.
Sarah sahara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KloppOClock)
Very accepting, apart from gay people and people of other religions.
Not from my experience. Which church was not accepting of you, perhaps you should find a new one? :console: Why would someone from another religion go to a church anyway? Surely to be saved and if so the church would have their arms wide open.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not from my experience. Which church was not accepting of you, perhaps you should find a new one? :console: Why would someone from another religion go to a church anyway? Surely to be saved and if so the church would have their arms wide open.
whoa whoa. I'm not gay, I meant that from what my friends and family have experienced and other stories i've heard. Religion doesn't exactly have a positive reputation about this matter.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think you'll find church attendances have been falling for decades, way before computers, phones, etc took hold.

Religion simply doesn't matter to the vast majority of people these days. Making them give up several hours to be lectured at by some guy who - literally - thinks they're holier than thou is the absolute last thing on people's minds.
Shadow Hunters
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People aren't prioritising religion as much anymore, in the past people didn't have as many options for entertainment and getting involved in the community but now there are more options, like OP said people can communicate with others on their phones which means church is no longer the central place to meet people. Church is becoming less and less relevant and I can't see that changing anytime soon, especially with religion declining as a result of scientific discoveries but many do go to church for Christmas and Christian holidays, which means it's not completely ending just people don't go frequently anymore.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agree with your point about community.

Church however, as much as personally I love churches + was a big part of my youth, is not the only answer to this.

It is true that as a western society we are, and have been loosing our community feel for quite some time.. its very clear to see when you compare modern day towns/cities to that of the past generations.

However, I dont think church is the answer for our current society - it was the answer for past generations, but these days there needs to be a new social revolution, some new way to bring a generation together..

Unfortunatly for you, the one thing that is replacing church as a centre of our community, is the one thing you dont like: Technology. For many young people, including a lot here on this site, the internet is their 'church' - it functions as the same boiling point of ideas and support, as the church did for their grandparents generation.. is it healthy or functional or good for us? I dont honestly think so, but its place in society is not going away any time soon, so as much as it worries me, and as much as I hate how much I personally use computers, it is filling a needed roll in many peoples lives.

--

We will have to see what happens, this issue is just one of many that worries me about western society.. but really its meerly a shift in method rather then a shift in ideas.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Agree with your point about community.

Church however, as much as personally I love churches + was a big part of my youth, is not the only answer to this.

It is true that as a western society we are, and have been loosing our community feel for quite some time.. its very clear to see when you compare modern day towns/cities to that of the past generations.

However, I dont think church is the answer for our current society - it was the answer for past generations, but these days there needs to be a new social revolution, some new way to bring a generation together..

Unfortunatly for you, the one thing that is replacing church as a centre of our community, is the one thing you dont like: Technology. For many young people, including a lot here on this site, the internet is their 'church' - it functions as the same boiling point of ideas and support, as the church did for their grandparents generation.. is it healthy or functional or good for us? I dont honestly think so, but its place in society is not going away any time soon, so as much as it worries me, and as much as I hate how much I personally use computers, it is filling a needed roll in many peoples lives.

--

We will have to see what happens, this issue is just one of many that worries me about western society.. but really its meerly a shift in method rather then a shift in ideas.
I think your making an issue out of a non-issue.I don't think communities have changed that much, and if they have, I don't think they have changed for the worse.
Laurenloops
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's catering to your personality. As an introvert and an atheist, i can't imagine anything worse than being forced to go to a church and preach to a God I don't believe in and talk to people I have nothing in common with. I'm much happier spending my free time on Sundays watching Netflix and scrolling through forums. I don't see a problem with a 45 year old living on their own either, or many of the things your suggesting are so terrible...

Your idea basically limits freedom and choice of lifestyle. This is the modern world, and our current world in so many ways is much better than that of 100+ years ago.
Peroxidation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OP, morality isn't caused by religion. Everyone has a different take on morality, so while being promiscuous, drinking alcohol, living on your own at 45 and using technology is seen as immoral by you, others find those sorts of things acceptable. Morality is subjective and as such it can never be used as a standard or as a basis on which to make policies. Policies should only ever be made based on objective things and on things that are for the greater good, such as utilitarianism, IMO.

Western society has become increasingly secular (up until recently that is), which is how it should be. Secular societies are run purely on the basis of logic and reason, rather than religious beliefs. As such, they function more smoothly and facilitate environments where ideas can be shared freely and thereby scientific and social progress can be made. Religion is nothing more than a hindrance for progression and should therefore be kept completely separate from all state affairs. IMO, it should even be discouraged.

Technology and science has been the driving force of this progress. There is absolutely no difference between talking to someone online and talking to them in person. You can still have face to face conversation and the same social norms still apply. In fact, the social environment is better than that in our immediate vicinity because it's an environment where people from all over the world communicate. As a result of this, ideas are shared faster and more frequently and it's this swapping of ideas which we call progress.

This may be of interest to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WhQ8bSvcHQ
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Finding a church that is accepting of homosexuals is incredibly ironic.
Sarah sahara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KloppOClock)
whoa whoa. I'm not gay, I meant that from what my friends and family have experienced and other stories i've heard. Religion doesn't exactly have a positive reputation about this matter.
Sorry about the confusion aha. I don't think its right to make others opinions become yours. Before you say something, I think you need to see for yourself.

Some people believe and some don't. The people who do are usually very happy people, so why on earth would anyone want to take that away from them?
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry about the confusion aha. I don't think its right to make others opinions become yours. Before you say something, I think you need to see for yourself.

Some people believe and some don't. The people who do are usually very happy people, so why on earth would anyone want to take that away from them?
Most of the religious people I know are openly racist / homophobic, so most of my opinions do come from first hand experience, even if i wasn't the subject of it.
Compost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EastonUmmah)
It all starts with making Sunday sacred again.
I agree with community cohesion but it doesn't make me believe in the existence of god any more than it makes me believe in the tooth fairy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads