case study notes anyone?Watch
Anyone got notes for the cyclone nargis in theme 2 and Karen and kibera in theme 1?
Strong winds up to 135mph
Storm surge of 7.6metres
- 140,000 people killed
- 450,000 homes destroyed
- 200,000 farm animals killed
-40% of food stores were destroyed
- Rice fields were flooded on the Delta
- 3 million people made homeless
- 70% of households had no access to clean water and diseases spread
- shortage of food
- 1000s temples destroyed
- cost of damage: USD$10 billion
Why was the damage greater in Burma than in an MEDC?
- People in Burma depend on farming and livestock to live and survive and much of that was destroyed
- They do not have flood defences because its unaffordable
- Poor quality housing
- Government failed to warn and evacuate people
- Emergency services were not prepared - had little equipment or training
Burmese government refused to accept foreign aid initially because the government is a military dictator
- Aid was eventually allowed in but only 3 weeks after the cyclone
- Aid from Bangladesh, India, Italy, Thailand, UK and USA included tents, food supplies, medicine, blankets and obviously money.
Hope that helps!