Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight Loss - Need to lose 30 pounds! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 16 years old, and am 5'1 and weight 59kg.
    This is too overweight for me, last year I was 50kg and I have gained way to much. So much that I am feeling uncomfortable in my skin.
    I want to lose 30 pounds, and stay at a steady weight of 45kg, which for my height is healthy and realistic.

I just want to know tips on how to lose it. I am currently sitting my exams so am not really focusing on dieting right now, and then on the 8th July i'm going away for a month and can't really focus on dieting then. But, when I return I plan to renew my gym membership, eat healthy, burn lots of calories and drink only water.

If I go to the gym everyday and burn 600 calories, and eat 1500 calories day with healthy proper meals, how long will it take me to lose the weight?

I plan to go to the gym everyday after I come back from holiday, even when I am at college in September I will not lose motivation and even if I have a job, I will not leave the gym unless I've lost 600 calories.

So basically my question is, can I lose 30 pounds, if so in how long? What's the best way to do it. How to not be tempted by fast/junk food.

I've been wanting to lose weight for years, and instead of losing I've been gaining so I am feeling really motivated now.

ReputationRep:
    Running is a good way to lose weight!

ReputationRep:
    just buy an exercise bike and put it in front of the TV, and have an ipod ready - that way I lost about 2 stone over one summer with the accompaniment of gradually cutting down on calories
    but the most important thing about weight loss is that you must be committed - it's about a lifestyle change, not just a thing you casually do. you want to lose that weight and keep it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariah2011)
    Hi,

I am 16 years old, and am 5'1 and weight 59kg.
    This is too overweight for me, last year I was 50kg and I have gained way to much. So much that I am feeling uncomfortable in my skin.
    I want to lose 30 pounds, and stay at a steady weight of 45kg, which for my height is healthy and realistic.

I just want to know tips on how to lose it. I am currently sitting my exams so am not really focusing on dieting right now, and then on the 8th July i'm going away for a month and can't really focus on dieting then. But, when I return I plan to renew my gym membership, eat healthy, burn lots of calories and drink only water.

If I go to the gym everyday and burn 600 calories, and eat 1500 calories day with healthy proper meals, how long will it take me to lose the weight?

I plan to go to the gym everyday after I come back from holiday, even when I am at college in September I will not lose motivation and even if I have a job, I will not leave the gym unless I've lost 600 calories.

So basically my question is, can I lose 30 pounds, if so in how long? What's the best way to do it. How to not be tempted by fast/junk food.

I've been wanting to lose weight for years, and instead of losing I've been gaining so I am feeling really motivated now.
    I'd be very careful about trusting the gym machines to tell you how many calories you have burned. Most of the machines cannot take into account factors (such as height and gender) which make a massive difference to how many calories you burn while doing exercise. So honestly, my advice would be to ignore the numbers all together because you're going to have inaccurate numbers.

Your TDEE at little to no exercise is around 1700 calories, so already by eating 1500 calories day you would be eating below that and losing weight without exercise.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

If you up the TDEE to having heavy exercise 6-7 days a week your TDEE jumps to 2458 calories a day. However I would be wary of always going for highest exercise option in case the amount of exercise you do and the amount of vigor in your exercise does not match or is below what the TDEE calculator assumes. What you might consider "heavy" exercise the calculator may consider as moderate and so you could be picking the wrong category. Hope that makes sense.

Also remember you cannot add burned calories at the gym on top of your TDEE as your TDEE includes activity level. So if you pick the 4th option and it says 2500 a day, you can't then add an extra 600 on top of that for calories burned at the gym.

Weight loss logistically is very simple. If you burn more calories in a day than you consume you will lose weight. If you burn the same amount you will stay the same weight and if you burn less you will gain weight.

So basically if you eat less than your TDEE you lose weight, on par you stay the same and above you gain weight.

How much you lose/gain depends on the calories. For example 1lb of fat = 3500 calories. When you eat less calories than your body needs it turns to itself for energy and breaks down fat (and a small amount of muscle) cells. So if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE a day you will lose approximately 1lb per week (3500/ 500 calories = 7 days.). This is approximate as your body doesn't just break down fat it will also break down a small amount of muscle (the bigger the calorie deficit the more muscle generally you will lose as your body burns itself for energy). Which is one of the reasons losing weight fast (more than 2lbs per week , particularly for women) and eating a lot below your TDEE is not recommenced.

Also important to note weight loss is not necessarily linear, sometimes you'll see the scale go down a 1lb a week, others you'll see nothing and one week it might go down by 5lbs. Don't worry about this too much, bodies are weird and wonderful. Also note a weekly fluctuation of weight of around 5lbs is perfectly normal and is mostly fluid retention, bowel contents and is particularly commons around the time of menstruation.

What you eat in terms of purely weight loss does not matter. It's the calories that matter. However for health reasons you should try to eat a balanced diet.

In terms of not caving in and eating junk food. Don't be so hard on yourself. The biggest mistake people make when going into a "diet" it for one they see it as a diet. It shouldn't be a diet. It should be a lifestyle change. Because if you make these changes only temporary chances are you are going to gain all the weight back if you go back or eating how you did previously (above your TDEE).

Secondly they make the mistake of making unrealistic and unsustainable changes to their diet. You don't have to live on lettuce and water to lose weight and you don't have to hate what you are eating. If you don't allow yourself food that you like you will crack and give up and not lose the weight.

Hope this helps/ makes sense to you. I've never been very good at explaining things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.