Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://d0247e65b1a6ead8e6286cd43803...%20Edexcel.pdf

Question 8 - I don't even know where to begin

Help would be greatly appreciated, P.S. I have looked at the mark scheme and I still fail to understand!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What don't you understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    What don't you understand?
    How to formulate the problem
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    How to formulate the problem
    When formulating a linear programming program, you need to first write the objective function, which is usually minimise (total) cost or maximise (total) profits, then list the constraints, by writing "subject to..."

All of the information is given in the question; work out the cost of Pack A and Pack B and multiply each by their quantities x and y; this gives the total cost.

For the constraints.

There must be at least 15000 flyers, the number of flyers in pack A is 20 and is 50 in pack B, so the number of flyers in total is 20x + 50y,(this is 20 times the number of Pack A's sold + 50 times the number of pack B's sold); this must be greater than 15000, so 20x +50y > 15000. Do the same with the other constraints.

ReputationRep:
    When formulating a linear programming program, you need to first write the objective function, which is usually minimise (total) cost or maximise (total) profits, then list the constraints, by writing "subject to..."

All of the information is given in the question; work out the cost of Pack A and Pack B and multiply each by their quantities x and y; this gives the total cost.

For the constraints.

There must be at least 15000 flyers, the number of flyers in pack A is 20 and is 50 in pack B, so the number of flyers in total is 20x + 50y,(this is 20 times the number of Pack A's sold + 50 times the number of pack B's sold); this must be greater than 15000, so 20x +50y > 15000. Do the same with the other constraints.
    I get the easy bits but I don't understand how they got the objective function as minimise c = 660x + 600y, and also I don't get how you do the between 40 and 60 percent bit?

Sorry to be a pain, you're being really helpful!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    I get the easy bits but I don't understand how they got the objective function as minimise c = 660x + 600y, and also I don't get how you do the between 40 and 60 percent bit?

Sorry to be a pain, you're being really helpful!
    15p per poster and 3p per flyer. If there is 40 posters and 20 flyers in Pack A, then the cost of producing 1 of pack A is  (15\times 40) +(3 \times 20) = 660, do the same with Pack B and you'll get 600.

The total number of packs is the number of A + the number of B, so (x+y).
    You want x, the number of pack A's to be between 40% and 60% of (x+y), so form an inequality using fractions for the percentages.

ReputationRep:
    15p per poster and 3p per flyer. If there is 40 posters and 20 flyers in Pack A, then the cost of producing 1 of pack A is  (15\times 40) +(3 \times 20) = 660, do the same with Pack B and you'll get 600.

The total number of packs is the number of A + the number of B, so (x+y).
    You want x, the number of pack A's to be between 40% and 60% of (x+y), so form an inequality using fractions for the percentages.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! You make it so much easier! Much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.