Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm studying maths, further maths, chemistry and biology and I am fairly hopeful I have done well in the first three and I'm not so sure on biology. I am crossed between applying for maths or computer science at Cambridge in particular.

If I happened to get a B in biology and As in the rest how far would that disadvantage me?

My other question is if I got a low A in biology but this is my worst AS would they want to know my UMS score for this fourth as level?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Do they even look at your general studies grades as well?

ReputationRep:
    They want to know your ums for everything, but for maths they would mostly look at maths, further maths and physics. You haven't taken physics (which if i'm honest could put you at a slight disadvantage for maths given that most applicants take it), they'll probably consider chemistry. So, they look at it but it's not as important as your top three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    They want to know your ums for everything, but for maths they would mostly look at maths, further maths and physics. You haven't taken physics (which if i'm honest could put you at a slight disadvantage for maths given that most applicants take it), they'll probably consider chemistry. So, they look at it but it's not as important as your top three
    So they want all your ums scores? Many have told me they look at your best three only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM-)
    So they want all your ums scores? Many have told me they look at your best three only.
    Nope, all of them to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM-)
    UMS doesn't exist for anything other than maths anymore. In the old system they would have counted bio as, for average purposes, maths and fm are counted as a single subject. However there is an awful lot more to your application than a single number, such as individual module scores, the admissions tests interviews etc etc. Ultimately if you want to go to cambridge you don't really have anything to lose by applying, you have 5 choices on ucas and most people I know ended up putting some unis they didn't really want to go to on there to fill out the 5, so there is no harm in putting cambridge down as worst case scenario you still have other choices you could go to

ReputationRep:
    If I got 96% average across 6 maths and fm units altogether then 90% average in 2 chemistry units and biology 85% average across another 2 units that biology wouldn't matter too much?

ReputationRep:
    If you apply to Oxford they won't ask for your UMS, unless you wish to include your scores in your reference. If you get over 93% in your top three most relevant A Levels, I wouldn't worry that much. Otherwise, I'd consider applying to Oxford as application process is slightly different.

(Original post by SM-)
    So I'm studying maths, further maths, chemistry and biology and I am fairly hopeful I have done well in the first three and I'm not so sure on biology. I am crossed between applying for maths or computer science at Cambridge in particular.

If I happened to get a B in biology and As in the rest how far would that disadvantage me?

My other question is if I got a low A in biology but this is my worst AS would they want to know my UMS score for this fourth as level?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Do they even look at your general studies grades as well?
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    Nope, all of them to some extent.
    (Original post by samb1234)
    UMS doesn't exist for anything other than maths anymore. In the old system they would have counted bio as, for average purposes, maths and fm are counted as a single subject. However there is an awful lot more to your application than a single number, such as individual module scores, the admissions tests interviews etc etc. Ultimately if you want to go to cambridge you don't really have anything to lose by applying, you have 5 choices on ucas and most people I know ended up putting some unis they didn't really want to go to on there to fill out the 5, so there is no harm in putting cambridge down as worst case scenario you still have other choices you could go to
    (Original post by buttered)
    If you apply to Oxford they won't ask for your UMS, unless you wish to include your scores in your reference. If you get over 93% in your top three most relevant A Levels, I wouldn't worry that much. Otherwise, I'd consider applying to Oxford as application process is slightly different.
    heya. don't you worry. I think you can take any subject and still get into oxbridge. He did it. I'm sure you can too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...12-months.html

ReputationRep:
    According to the prospectus and the general opinion on this, they will look at all 4 but are more concerned with the average of your top three.
    General studies and critical thinking are not included in the academic assessment though.
    Hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.