Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you start talking to someone of the opposite sex just to become friends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think?

This is targeted at my fellow singles, but do you ever start talking to someone just with the idea of only being friends, or is there a thought in the back your mind thinking that the person is potential boyfriend/girlfriend. Of course personality and attraction plays a part in it, but say the person ticked these boxes and you both have a great vibe together, can you just be friends?

Maybe the real question is can guys and girls be just friends...?

Perhaps this is a superficial way of looking at things, but I'm interested to know what everyone thinks about it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my group of friends is about 15 girls and 7 guys (me included).

And my closest friend is a girl too ~ Asuna Yuuki :five: ~ and we're like brother/sister to each other. I think this is good evidence that guys and girls can be friends without being sexually attracted to each other :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've spent the last 4 years with only one girl in a group of guys. they have never tried anything other than to be her friend. Her absolute best friend is a guy too. When she got a boyfriend last year none of them were strange about it and just carried on exactly the same way as we ever had done.

I don't like how some people don't think guys and girls can just be friends because they are very wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    but say the person ticked these boxes and you both have a great vibe together, can you just be friends?
    I think in this situation, you're going to want to be more than friends. If the person specifically is someone you're attracted to, then it may be more difficult to just be friends with them if it can't work out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Well, my group of friends is about 15 girls and 7 guys (me included).

And my closest friend is a girl too ~ Asuna Yuuki :five: ~ and we're like brother/sister to each other. I think this is good evidence that guys and girls can be friends without being sexually attracted to each other :yep:
    :five: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samonia)
    I've spent the last 4 years being the only other girl in a group of guys. they have never tried anything other than to be my friend. My absolute best friend is a guy too. When i got a boyfriend last year none of them were strange about it and just carried on exactly the same way as we ever had done.

I don't like how some people don't think guys and girls can just be friends because they are very wrong
    I feel like having guy friends is just as important as having girl friends!

An old best friend of mine was a guy and people would always bring up us dating which was pretty annoying.

ReputationRep:
    What about if the other person was already in a relationship but they are very flirty in the way they talk, do you think you'd be able to resist 'catching feelings?'

ReputationRep:
    How haraambo. :lol:

All the guys I know and talk to are nerds too, so no one has to worry about any attraction or feelings or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like having guy friends is just as important as having girl friends!

An old best friend of mine was a guy and people would always bring up us dating which was pretty annoying.
    I had that problem. first time i went for a sleepover at one of their houses mum was really worried to let me go for a sleepover with loads of guys and only 3 girls... its annoys me so much when the guys are absolutely brilliant and the most interesting thing that happened was cards against humanity at 3am and a chilli off between the Korean and Indians and Israeli in our friendship group

"do you ever start talking to someone just with the idea of only being friends"
    yes

think of it this way; there are three categories.

- boys you talk to that you could never in helllllllll be attracted to (which is alot of boys)

- boys that you talk to that there is potential and you can imagine them in a sexual way just because well if their male, attractive, and are good to converse with it can make your horny sometimes
    but when talking you always keep it casual because the sexual feelings aren't constant just intermittent. (this is usually a few different guys)

- the guy you actually like and feel major attraction to and everytime you talk its

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yes

- boys you talk to that you could never in helllllllll be attracted to (which is alot of boys)

- boys that you talk to that there is potential and you can imagine them in a sexual way just because well if their male, attractive, and are good to converse with it can make your horny sometimes
    but when talking you always keep it casual because the sexual feelings aren't constant just intermittent. (this is usually a few different guys)

- the guy you actually like and feel major attraction to and everytime you talk its

Posted this before but I guess in reply to the second type of guy in that list...
    What if the other person was already in a relationship but they are very flirty in the way they talk, do you think you'd be able to resist 'catching feelings?'

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm close to a lot of males but I know that at least 2 of them have had feelings for me however that's not affected our relationships as we all kinda met by just insulting each other then laughing about it afterwards. ^-^

ReputationRep:
    All the time. I have plenty of female friends and only view them as such; they're good friendships and I value you them greatly.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    yes

Just a relatable post lol.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, men who struggle to talk to women can be quite closed emotionally when it comes to being in a relationship.

If men see women as these elusive creatures who are only worth talking to when they want to be in a relationship with them, it suggests an element of narrow mindedness and sexism perhaps.

For balance, my happiest relationships have been with men who like women as friends as well as partners because they tend to be more open and understanding of women's needs rather than baffled and intimidated by them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the girls are like my sisters why wouldn't I. There pretty safe as well and much nicer then my male friends.

Posted this before but I guess in reply to the second type of guy in that list...
    What if the other person was already in a relationship but they are very flirty in the way they talk, do you think you'd be able to resist 'catching feelings?'
    yes definitely, especially if I already have a guy I'm properly interested in.

If I don't "have a guy I'm properly interested in" I would still not catch feelings, a guy being in a relationship mostly puts me off in a sexual way - like he's being touched up by some other girl why would I want to be with him lool.

Also if he's flirty whist being a relationship I'd be like ???????????? he's a bit of sh1t dude innit.

ReputationRep:
    Lol guys don't just think about sexual relationships jeez

I think the obvious and unanimous answer to this is yes. I think it's strange that you've said 'can girls and boys be friends without a deeper relationship'- it's the complete same for gay people to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.