Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My wife who is 37 weeks pregnant has just found out shes failed her last assignment and it will go to the board next week. Shes been told that they will probably terminate the course as it was her second attempt at the assignment. As you will be aware she's devastated she never failed anything before but on the last year she suffered a miscarriage and numerous other health problems and thought she really did really just to keep going, so did i tbh. She realises now that she should have got help and support but it was never really offered. They way shes been treated is just criminal a lecturer refused to even talk to her yesterday and slammed the door in her face. Iike most of you shes worked hard and feels like they are just going to throw her on the scrap heap. WE are going to fight all the way if we have to is there any advice anyone can give us? I feel so useless.she has a meeting with student union on Thursday and has also contacted the RCN union for advice as well as our local mp who will write to the uni in question if required. If ANY body has any advice pls pls get in contact. She is so down and out i cant bear to he her like this. She should be enjoying whats left of this pregnancy but really cant sleep or eat. Cheers peter
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Peter100)
    My wife who is 37 weeks pregnant has just found out shes failed her last assignment and it will go to the board next week. Shes been told that they will probably terminate the course as it was her second attempt at the assignment. As you will be aware she's devastated she never failed anything before but on the last year she suffered a miscarriage and numerous other health problems and thought she really did really just to keep going, so did i tbh. She realises now that she should have got help and support but it was never really offered. They way shes been treated is just criminal a lecturer refused to even talk to her yesterday and slammed the door in her face. Iike most of you shes worked hard and feels like they are just going to throw her on the scrap heap. WE are going to fight all the way if we have to is there any advice anyone can give us? I feel so useless.she has a meeting with student union on Thursday and has also contacted the RCN union for advice as well as our local mp who will write to the uni in question if required. If ANY body has any advice pls pls get in contact. She is so down and out i cant bear to he her like this. She should be enjoying whats left of this pregnancy but really cant sleep or eat. Cheers peter
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. The student union are probably one of your best resources as they will have someone who has supported student nurses through this before and can give you more information about a process. RCN are useful, as are Unison if you're a member.

If you can, try to arrange a hearing or panel meeting so that your wife (and a student union rep) can state their side of the story and get a fair review of the situation. Failing that, make sure that your wife writes a full statement explaining the situation surrounding the reasons she has failed the assignment twice. You then need to ensure that all of the relevant decision-making parties have a copy of this. The statement should be factual (e.g. 'I was not made aware at this difficult time that I could have applied for extenuating circumstances and subsequently failed the assignment due to no fault of my own'), and I know this might be difficult for you to write but it is the best option. Even if you do get a hearing/meeting it is useful to write a statement anyway and circulate it prior to the hearing, in case you forget important points or aren't as articulate. Start your statement sooner rather than later. It seems like your key point should be a lack of support offered by the uni which has caused your wife to feel like she needs to push on with the course. You should also try and get a letter of support from your GP, simply to state that your wife has been under considerable stress due to X and Y medical issues. Finally, you must insist to see their policy for withdrawal of students, exam policy etc. and read it very carefully.

If you need any more advice or have further issues please feel free to quote this message (I won't see it otherwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter100)
    This exact thing happened to me last year, different circumstances though and it went to board and they told me my journey was over so i put in an appeal and i won and got to do the assignment again and graduated took a bit longer but i got their tell your wife chin up this is not the end gather her evidence etc and get ready to win you have to both stay possitive i thought there was no light at the end of the tunnel but there was good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply we are staying positive and are determined to win the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    As has been mentioned, I'm sure you're both very emotional and I'm 100% you wouldn't anyway, but you must take all the emotion out of the situation when making your appeal. They won't reverse it based on a sob story as they may see this as an excuse and a reason to follow through on their original decision. I sit in many appeals in my line of work, ans the more appellants place blame on their superiors, the less likely they are to win. You need to demonstrate that yes, you've had a traumatic time however you realise that although support was there you felt as if you weren't ready to access it at the time. Since the miscarriage you have sought therapy with a GP etc etc etc. Show them the changes she's made that means if they give her another chance she won't fail again.

Be very humble, explain in a very factual and logical manner what happened (avoid phrases you've used in your reply such as 'it's criminal!' and how the lecturer has treated you, slamming the door in her face etc) and make use of the unions where possible.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi peter,

I read your post and felt compelled to reply, I was booted from a university for failing an assignment twice after contracting bacterial meningitis, a few months on and suffering a miscarriage not long after. I was devastated at the time and I never appealed. I instead enrolled at another uni. It was when I contacted the old uni for copies of module transcripts that they asked me why I left to which I explained I was booted. The man was shocked at my story saying I only failed the one module and that my appeal would have most definitely been a success. Your wife needs to appeal and i think a letter from her doctor explaining the effects of her circumtances on her studies should be fine. I know through personal experience that the injustice felt from being booted even though they knew what id been through can be very disheartening and you feel like theres no hope, its important to remember there are thousands of students to deal with and there is probably just a protocol to follow and students backgrounds arent given too much regard until asked to. Then im sure your wife will be given a second chance, after all we are all humans and **** happens that knocks us of course. Tell your wife to take it in stages, try to relax and keep herself healthy for baby. I wish you all well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.