Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Difference between assimilation and substitution in child language acquisition? watch

ReputationRep:
    Difference between assimilation and substitution in child language acquisition?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BrownieLover)
    Difference between assimilation and substitution in child language acquisition?
    Substitution is when the child substitutes harder sounds with easier ones. So "r" (as in rock or story) becomes "w" like "wock" and "stowy".

Assimilation is the process that illustrates how some sounds change because of other words around them.
    Take "gog" and "babbit" for example. So, in both cases, the first consonant sound has been influenced by the second. So, "doggie" becomes "goggie" and "rabbit" becomes "babbit"

So basically the child has taken the sound of the second syllable and used it with the first. So "gog" from "gie" in "doggie" and "ba" from "bbit" in "rabbit".

Another way of looking at it is if you say when different (consonant) sounds in a word are pronounced the same way such as "dog" becoming "gog". (the child has taken the "guh" sound from "g" and replaced the "duh" sounds from "d".

So, I'd say the only difference is that with assimilation, you should only apply it if the sound is of a consonant utter, rather than an assonance. Whereas substitution can happen with any sounds.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Thank you, this is very helpful. Can you please tell me the difference between deletion and consonant cluster reduction?
    Yeah I noticed that, but I feel as though I'm just doing your homework or revision for you.

What do you need help with?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this is very helpful. Can you please tell me the difference between deletion and consonant cluster reduction?
    Deletion generally occurs at the end of a word so that final consonants are deleted to make production of the word simpler , so that "boat" sounds like "bow" when final consonant (t) is deleted . So a CVC word is reduced to CV . Cluster reduction is the process of 2 or more consonants occurring together , as in "plane" (CCVC) and reducing the cluster of 2 consonants "pl.." To a single one -( CVC) "pane" . Think of "spoon" (poon), "spider/purer" etc .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat oh)
    Deletion generally occurs at the end of a word so that final consonants are deleted to make production of the word simpler , so that "boat" sounds like "bow" when final consonant (t) is deleted . So a CVC word is reduced to CV . Cluster reduction is the process of 2 or more consonants occurring together , as in "plane" (CCVC) and reducing the cluster of 2 consonants "pl.." To a single one -( CVC) "pane" . Think of "spoon" (poon), "spider/purer" etc .
    SO is the main difference that with deletion, it's one consonant but with consonant cluster reduction, it's two or more?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.