Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a part time retail job and in the application form, it says I could use a doctor, solicitor, teacher etc. who has known me for more than 3 years, my doctor is the only one who's known me for this period. But why would they need to contact my doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    I'm applying for a part time retail job and in the application form, it says I could use a doctor, solicitor, teacher etc. who has known me for more than 3 years, my doctor is the only one who's known me for this period. But why would they need to contact my doctor?
    Probably for a character reference as they're a registered professional who can vouch for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Probably for a character reference as they're a registered professional who can vouch for you.
    But my doctor doesn't know anything about me, except the things I've been to see him about but that's not related?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You dont say what the reference is for. It may just be to cinfirm you are who you say you are. As pointed out above the suggested people are professionals, so they are seen as to be more credible.

Its says you could use... not you must use, so therefore it is your chouce to select someone appropriate within those guidelines.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    They want to check your identity is valid and not stolen or forged.

It's incumbent on employers to make sure your identity is correct, that you are entitled to be in this country/work and are not here on a student visa seeking work or have overstayed your holiday visa etc. if you are not from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Teacher then, why so bothered about the fact it mentions doctor when there are other options on the list? You don't have to get a reference from them all. Just one from one of those kinds of professionals listed as they're more likely to be reliable than your mate or a family member (which is why you're not allowed to use them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Teacher then, why so bothered about the fact it mentions doctor when there are other options on the list? You don't have to get a reference from them all. Just one from one of those kinds of professionals listed as they're more likely to be reliable than your mate or a family member (which is why you're not allowed to use them).
    Haven't known a teacher for more than 2 years, they require 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You dont say what the reference is for. It may just be to cinfirm you are who you say you are. As pointed out above the suggested people are professionals, so they are seen as to be more credible.

Its says you could use... not you must use, so therefore it is your chouce to select someone appropriate within those guidelines.
    from the list, my doctor is the only one I've known for more than 3 years. They want a referee they could approach in support of my application, but if there is no previous employer, a professional person I have known for a minimum of 3 years would suffice

ReputationRep:
    Haven't known a teacher for more than 2 years, they require 3.
    Who have you known apart from your family and friends? Done any work experience, any volunteering?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    from the list, my doctor is the only one I've known for more than 3 years. They want a referee they could approach in support of my application, but if there is no previous employer, a professional person I have known for a minimum of 3 years would suffice
    Theres no one at school who knew you for 3 years?
    What about the local vicar?
    No family friend who is a professional?

You are looking for someone who is independent, but has a position of reasonable responsibility. If there is no one, then you will ahve to negotiate with them who might be accpetable.

If its just an application, juts put reference to be provided or agreed and sort something out with HR. They are unlikely to take it up inless they offer you the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    They want to check your identity is valid and not stolen or forged.

It's incumbent on employers to make sure your identity is correct, that you are entitled to be in this country/work and are not here on a student visa seeking work or have overstayed your holiday visa etc. if you are not from the UK.
    No.... that isn't why. Your passport and national insurance number serves that purpose.

OP, you don't have to put your doctor as a reference, in fact you shouldn't, unless you don't have any teachers, previous employers or supervisors, colleagues, or anyone else who knows you in an academic/professional context. You would only need to give an irrelevant reference from a doctor if you had no other viable options.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    No.... that isn't why. Your passport and national insurance number serves that purpose.
    Oh yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Oh yes it is.
    OK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.