The Student Room Group

No References on CV?

Hello, so I'm 19 currently in univeristy. Never really done much volunteering or worked. So have no references to put on my CV now that i'm looking for part time work over holidays.
What should I do?
Am I ok to just put my university personal tutor?
Reply 1
Most work places ask for two references but it does depend on the job. Email your personal tutor to be your referee, and maybe you could also ask a lecturer who knows you well or someone who has been teaching you in tutorials/ seminars? if you have any work experience from before coming to uni you could also use references by them, or perhaps try a teacher from your school? Good luck with your applications :smile:
Original post by IAmYourdog
Hello, so I'm 19 currently in univeristy. Never really done much volunteering or worked. So have no references to put on my CV now that i'm looking for part time work over holidays.
What should I do?
Am I ok to just put my university personal tutor?

References don't go on a CV.

University lecturers and tutors can be used as references.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
References don't go on a CV.

University lecturers and tutors can be used as references.

Hmm so what will I need to apply for a job? Just a CV? Then the employer will ask me for 2 references?
Hmm so what will I need to apply for a job? Just a CV? Then the employer will ask me for 2 references?

You generally need a cover letter to go along with your CV, and some employers use application forms.

Employers will ask for references when they need them. Sometimes if an application form is used there will be spaces for you to add them there, or you might have to fill in a separate form later on in the process.
Reply 5

Referee details can actually go on a CV. Employers may only ask for CV and cover letter, in which case it is good to have your referee details on the CV, or they could have an application process where they ask specific questions, including to provide details for referees, in which case they may not want a CV or they could ask for one, but it wouldn't matter if your referee details were there or not.
Reply 6

You usually mention your references in the online form. Unless it is required in the advert, you don't have to give references.
Reply 7
Original post by Josb
You usually mention your references in the online form. Unless it is required in the advert, you don't have to give references.

So if they don't ask for any references I don't have to put them anywhere in my application including my CV?
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
You generally need a cover letter to go along with your CV, and some employers use application forms.

Employers will ask for references when they need them. Sometimes if an application form is used there will be spaces for you to add them there, or you might have to fill in a separate form later on in the process.

A cover letter? What sort of things would I be required to put on that considering I'll be applying for like a supermarket stacking shelves or something lol?
A cover letter? What sort of things would I be required to put on that considering I'll be applying for like a supermarket stacking shelves or something lol?

I don't know specifically as for those types of jobs I've only ever seen application forms being used.
Reply 10

It depends on whether you are replying to an advert or making an unsolicited application, and the nature of the job (employers are less demanding when it's for stacking shelves).

If you're applying by email, just write a polite email instead of attaching a Word document with your letter (just attach your CV). Tell when you are available and for how long, your motivation, grades, previous experiences, skills, etc. If they don't ask for references, then don't give them.
Original post by Josb
It depends on whether you are replying to an advert or making an unsolicited application, and the nature of the job (employers are less demanding when it's for stacking shelves).

If you're applying by email, just write a polite email instead of attaching a Word document with your letter (just attach your CV). Tell when you are available and for how long, your motivation, grades, previous experiences, skills, etc. If they don't ask for references, then don't give them.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
So as I said I haven't had any paid employment, I've done work placements (for a week at a time 2014 summer) so like how would I add this to my CV ? Also do you think they're going to ask for contact details, because I don't really have contact details for them haha.
Also would should this go in voluntary or work experience section

Also do you think it's worth writing a personal statement at the start for casual employment? I don't really have that much to say, just looking for some employment for the next 12 months.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending