Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm extremely shy and I'm going to be living at home, I don't drink. Is it possible to make friends nonetheless?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by daydreamer394)
    I'm extremely shy and I'm going to be living at home, I don't drink. Is it possible to make friends nonetheless?
    Extreme shyness is probably going to be your main barrier (can relate to that to a certain extent), so you know.. get talking to people on your course or 'at societies' as everyone suggests. If you don't drink, fair enough - not everyone does and it's perfectly fine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by daydreamer394)
    You don't need to drink at university to make friends - it's an extremely common student misconception. Being shy is normal as well, a lot of people are - so don't worry there.

It is possible to make friends. Whilst at university you'll make friends through your course, they are people with similar interests as you. You can study together and do things together as the year goes on and as I've said, you'll make friends like that. At the same time, you can join societies whilst you are there and make friends through those gatherings.

Don't panic yourself too much!

ReputationRep:
    I want you to understand that you don't have to drink in order to make friends. I don't drink, go clubbing or anything like that, even then I have a good social circle. You just need to join societies at your uni that you like and attend different events. You can also perhaps volunteer at your uni.

Don't be afraid to start a convo. No one's going to eat you lol. Just be yourself and you'll be amazed to see how many like minded people you'll come across. But please do not pretend to be something that you're not. That's not attractive and no one likes to be with someone who is not secure within themselves.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.