The Student Room Group

Other than religious, what reason is there to ban homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge

4. That is not what accepting homosexuality leads to though - loving a man is different from loving objects and animals isn't it...? Saying 'heterosexuality promotes beastiality' wouldn't work and so it doesn't with homosexuality either.

That is what it will lead to though. Why? Because the main reason for homosexual acceptance (two consenting parties, which is a fair enough reason I guess) can be applied to all of these. Incest, bestiality, robots, etc. Where to draw the limit?
Original post by GlassyMarbles
I'd like to say beforehand that I absolutely don't support homophobia; I have the misfortune of knowing some against homosexuality that are mostly otherwise good people.

- Increased chance of STDs
- "Unnatural"; little to no accounts of it pre-20th century
- Possible eventual proliferation may lead to human extinction [I know, I know, this is so stupid]
- Acceptance of homosexuality may lead to increased bestiality and objectophilia due to "the influence that you can have sex with anything now"

1. Actually, as a lesbian, I have a lower chance of contracting STDs than my straight friends. Not that STDs should be a reason to ban homosexuality - what people do in their private lives, even if sometimes risky, is their own choice.

2. Greeks. Romans. Indigenous Americans. Ancient East Asia. Even more anti-gay places like the Middle East and Africa have records of homosexuality in their ancient history. It's in the Bible too - didn't they ever tell you the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to scare the sh-t out of you at Sunday School? 😂

3. Homosexuality directly combats overpopulation, not to mention many gay couples adopt.

4. Never understood this reach. I don't want to f--k a dog or a table. Homosexuals are attracted to humans of the same sex. I don't ever want to see laws passed allowing people to have sex with anyone or any creature that can't consent. If the government was considering legalising bestiality I'd be the first out there protesting.
As for objectophilia... I don't see how that can legally be stopped? If someone wants to buy a blow up doll and have sex with it, that's their business, so long as it harms nobody.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
So what...should we ban infertile people from having sex? :s-smilie:
edit: Or indeed, any sex with contraception..

Well evolutionary factors don't really come into play now because in 21st century Britain we all live comfortably and are not struggling to survive. However our ancestors relied on these evolutionary factors to survive and get the human race to where it is today. I'm not saying that homosexuality is wrong I'm just saying that this may be a reason why people may still hold homophobic views.
Original post by donutellme
That is what it will lead to though. Why? Because the main reason for homosexual acceptance (two consenting parties, which is a fair enough reason I guess) can be applied to all of these. Incest, bestiality, robots, etc. Where to draw the limit?

You're thinking ridiculously rigidly. It cannot. They are all very different things and I think the majority know where to draw the line. I don't remember seeing any huge groups like Stonewall fighting for your right to **** a helicopter.
You're thinking ridiculously rigidly. It cannot. They are all very different things and I think the majority know where to draw the line. I don't remember seeing any huge groups like Stonewall fighting for your right to **** a helicopter.

Don't be naive. Yes it's different, but so was homosexuality only 10-15 years ago. Lines shift. Besides, as a gay man, wouldn't you support incest too? Since it's between consenting parties? Where do you personally draw the line?
Don't be naive. Yes it's different, but so was homosexuality only 10-15 years ago. Lines shift. Besides, as a gay man, wouldn't you support incest too? Since it's between consenting parties? Where do you personally draw the line?

I can't even take objectiphilia, or whatever it is, seriously - it probably effects such a minute proportion of society that it is not even something worth debating. I do not support incest although I can understand the argument for it. I think it goes too far. Homosexuality is nowhere near the same and I resent you making an unfounded parallel.

They are different in so many ways to being gay, ways in which being gay is not different to being heterosexual.
I can't even take objectiphilia, or whatever it is, seriously - it probably effects such a minute proportion of society that it is not even something worth debating. I do not support incest although I can understand the argument for it. I think it goes too far. Homosexuality is nowhere near the same and I resent you making an unfounded parallel.

They are different in so many ways to being gay, ways in which being gay is not different to being heterosexual.

They are not that different. Homosexuality is as different from heterosexuality as incest is. It's not an unfounded parallel, so you can resent me all you like. You say it goes too far, but when people finally start sticking it down your throat will you feel the same?
They are not that different. Homosexuality is as different from heterosexuality as incest is. It's not an unfounded parallel, so you can resent me all you like. You say it goes too far, but when people finally start sticking it down your throat will you feel the same?

Sorry but they can be different but not at all in the same way. Comparing incest and homosexual love is ****ing hilarious.
It's usually not a fear, more... disgust?

Largely the same outcomes.
Sorry but they can be different but not at all in the same way. Comparing incest and homosexual love is ****ing hilarious.

Haha so hilarious

How about you tell me how they're so different?

Gay woman here. No I don't support incest.

Heterosexuality and homosexuality are in the same boat - both are about dating/marrying/sleeping with other people you feel attracted to - the only main difference is the gender of said people.

Incest is a completely different matter entirely as it is about dating/marrying/sleeping with family members, not just any old people like with hetero/homosexuality. With it comes the issue of inbreeding, and the issues of power play and rape. If a father wants to sleep with his daughter, even if she is of age, can she ever truly consent due to the natural power the father has over her? It's the same reason that people in high positions cannot sleep with those under them without it being considered rape, due to the power involved (e.g. a prison guard sleeping with an inmate). Incest is more complex than just those two weird cousins who sometimes bang after a few too many vodka shots.
It's the same reason why people with disabilities were badly treated in the past, because they weren't normal and people didn't understand them. Some people don't understand how people can be gay and why they are gay and find it strange and don't like it.
How about you tell me how they're so different?

Incest:

- Family;
- Familial Force at play?;
- Dysfunctional children;
- Against the law (lowest bastion of moral decision making but t'is a differnce).

Objectiphillia:

- Not even human;
- No personality;
- No real sexual properties in itself;
- No conceivable substance could exisy in the relationship.

Homosexual:

- Not related;
- No dysfunction due to type of relationship, if children are to be had;
- Follows the typical model;
- Orientation, not an attraction to a family member like incest;
- Two distinct individuals, consensually being in love; incest does not include this necessarily as it can disrupt the relationships surrounding that couple or even with the couple themselves.

There are many others. Do your own research.
Original post by londonundergrad

Heterosexuality and homosexuality are in the same boat - both are about dating/marrying/sleeping with other people you feel attracted to - the only main difference is the gender of said people.

Incest is a completely different matter entirely as it is about dating/marrying/sleeping with family members, not just any old people like with hetero/homosexuality. With it comes the issue of inbreeding, and the issues of power play and rape. If a father wants to sleep with his daughter, even if she is of age, can she ever truly consent due to the natural power the father has over her? It's the same reason that people in high positions cannot sleep with those under them without it being considered rape, due to the power involved (e.g. a prison guard sleeping with an inmate). Incest is more complex than just those two weird cousins who sometimes bang after a few too many vodka shots.

Sounds like you're making excuses. When someone who's a ladies man has sex with a girl, how is that not the same? According to you, there's a power imbalance. What about mum and son? Or brother and sister?

And you both keep saying it's COMPLETELY different... er, no its not? It's closer to heterosexuality than homosexuality is.

Face it. You don't have any good reason to be against incest save for your disgust. This is the same reason people are against homosexuality.
Original post by londonundergrad

PRSOM
Incest:

- Family;
- Familial Force at play?;
- Dysfunctional children;
- Against the law (lowest bastion of moral decision making but t'is a differnce).

Objectiphillia:

- Not even human;
- No personality;
- No real sexual properties in itself;
- No conceivable substance could exisy in the relationship.

Homosexual:

- Not related;
- No dysfunction due to type of relationship, if children are to be had;
- Follows the typical model;
- Orientation, not an attraction to a family member like incest;
- Two distinct individuals, consensually being in love; incest does not include this necessarily as it can disrupt the relationships surrounding that couple or even with the couple themselves.

There are many others. Do your own research.

Bias as ****.

You seen the video of the dude in love with inflatables? He's happy and in love, so according to you folks it's fine right, cos that's all that matters?

Who are you to decide what's dysfunctional or not? Allow me to take the higher moral ground and throw abusive words at you. Bigot. Incestophobic. Intolerant. Etc etc etc. Family? So what right? They're close. Familial force is a **** argument and you know it. And illegal...? Are you serious?

Homosexuality disrupts people too. Not everyone wants to see gay people carrying out PDAs. Not the typical model either, as there is a control dynamic in heterosexual relationships, which isnt in homosexual relationships. And why would typical or atypical model make a difference? It's all consensual right?

Bigot.
Bias as ****.

You seen the video of the dude in love with inflatables? He's happy and in love, so according to you folks it's fine right, cos that's all that matters?

Who are you to decide what's dysfunctional or not? Allow me to take the higher moral ground and throw abusive words at you. Bigot. Incestophobic. Intolerant. Etc etc etc. Family? So what right? They're close. Familial force is a **** argument and you know it. And illegal...? Are you serious?

Homosexuality disrupts people too. Not everyone wants to see gay people carrying out PDAs. Not the typical model either, as there is a control dynamic in heterosexual relationships, which isnt in homosexual relationships. And why would typical or atypical model make a difference? It's all consensual right?

Bigot.

As if you compared a PDA to family dynamics - grow up. Game over - your arguments are utter trash.
As if you compared a PDA to family dynamics - grow up. Game over - your arguments are utter trash.

You are dense
Original post by OGGUS
Because they think that 2 people of the same sex doesn't make sense because their not biologically able to have children basically through sex. Like sperm and egg connection. It don't work with 2 people of the same gender. I think this could be one of the factors.

Some straight couples may choose to adopt than have kids of their own or they might just not want any kids at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending