The Student Room Group

Other than religious, what reason is there to ban homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The person
Crusades happened a hours and years ago, don't know why you want to ban religion now.

You have to respect that and you can't just ban something because you don't agree with it.

I mentioned the two best known large-scale deaths caused by religion, that's why.

I wasn't around when the Crusades happened, was I? I could hardly have called for religion to be banned then.

You most certainly do not have to respect something you don't agree with. For example, bestiality. I don't agree with it and I think it's rightfully illegal.
Original post by Mactotaur
I can't find any specific data, but here's the site I'm using. Feel free to try and find statistics.

So it's not a homosexuality problem if it isn't across the board and does not include lesbians then, is it? Just as massive HIV rates in Africa is not a heterosexuality problem.
Original post by donutellme
I'm religious.

wait so can you tell me the difference between heterosexuality and incest bestiality couldn't males say since they are having sex with their female dog or sister that they are having sex with females so its justified. where does it stop
Original post by Grand High Witch
So it's not a homosexuality problem if it isn't across the board and does not include lesbians then, is it? Just as massive HIV rates in Africa is not a heterosexuality problem.

I didn't say it was a homosexuality problem. If you'd read my other responses in this thread you would know this.
I've honestly never seen or experienced communication with someone so full of themselves and fragile as you appear to be. Wow.

Since when did he talk about giving you permission to speak...?

And this is just my opinion. Am I the prime minister? Am I a law maker? Are you? No. This is a ****ing forum where you post opinions and have a discussion. I'm well aware that it's not my decision you moron.

It's just unfortunate then that you are not the norm. You can freely practice it in your own home though right??????? Aren't you imposing the same and worse on others you hypocrite?

How are you so good at misinterpretation? It's amazing.

To be honest, you can call me arrogant and fragile but you're the user completely losing your **** here.

Has it ever occurred to you that this is people's lives your talking about? Has it not occurred to you that attitudes like yours impact us? Everyone expects us to suck it up and move on but I'm sorry, no. That's not okay. Myself and literally all of my LGBTQIA friends and my cousin who is also a gay man in his 50s now, have suffered for years on end with constant psychological, emotional and physical complications as a result of others. Your attitude to my life is hurtful. I don't want my life to be a fight because if it is you get tired and this is the result of what happens when you get tired:

Spoiler

And look, at the end of the day pal, for all my faults, I do understand and respect other people's opinions but everybody is just so intent on making our lives harder than they need to be. People do refuse to even remotely accept the implications of their language. And I resent being told to grow up and suck up the negativity because that's all I have done since I was in primary school and was homophobically abused daily. Such things have happened daily for the past 12 years. And believe me, I'm so tired of it and everybody else going through it is too.

We have one month a year to commemorate our struggle and get together and be happy with each other - Pride Month in June - and people have issues with it. A guy wants to walk down the street holding their boyfriends hand and people have a problem with it, a problem they don't have with the girl and guy snogging on the other side of the road. Everybody says "I hate PDAs in general" but the proof is in the pudding and they rarely seem to act with so much disgust when it's the latter.

You know what man, I'm not trying to be bitter or argumentative or whiney, but these things hurt. And you can call me a professional victim until the cows come home but at the end of the day, I've been a victim of a lot just like most other LGBTQIA members of society and all we want is to be the normal guys and girls society seems to crave despite society being the thing that stands in our way.

With the comments about incest and so on, it just punches into people. They're clearly nothing alike and you say they are, which I can respect, but then you make it sound like it's a matter of fact and it's only your opinion. Homosexuality and heterosexuality are virtually the same apart from the genders of the participants and the same cannot be said for objects or incest. Again, I respect your right to completely disagree with me and my purpose in writing this was to explain to you why I come across so intolerant and irate sometimes. I'm genuinely not. I can have very civil discussions about this. My own parents are rather anti-gay and I have managed to live in their household for 18 years whilst they've completely battered the community I belong to, verbally.

I don't think there's much point in continuing the argument but I feel you underestimate how much I do know and understand about the alternative sides of these arguments. I simply don't agree with them. It doesn't mean I cannot see their angle or respect them.
Original post by debs20153
wait so can you tell me the difference between heterosexuality and incest bestiality couldn't males say since they are having sex with their female dog or sister that they are having sex with females so its justified. where does it stop

Yeah they could, but we don't use that argument do we? We limit it to what's normal. Not about consent and love, etc. It has the side effect of not including gay people, but it's necessary to prevent incest and the rest from being accepted.
Original post by Mactotaur
I mentioned the two best known large-scale deaths caused by religion, that's why.

I wasn't around when the Crusades happened, was I? I could hardly have called for religion to be banned then.

You most certainly do not have to respect something you don't agree with. For example, bestiality. I don't agree with it and I think it's rightfully illegal.

Because you don't agree with it, you're going to ban it then? You're not really a people person are you? And you know what, if you were really a good person you would respect a persons decision, regardless of whether you agree or not. I disagree with the idea of transgenderism, but guess what, I respect the people who are transgender, I understand that to them,it's important.
I understand why they think it's right, even though I don't think it's right.

It's called empathy.

I repeat, crusades happened a THOUSAND years ago. If the crusades happened yesterday, then you're point would make sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
At the end of the day, this is completely historically inaccurate. As a society, we've moved away from incestuous relationships. Families used to marry into their own. It was pretty commonplace. I don't see anybody demanding incest be legalised because homosexuality has been, or that bestiality and object-attraction are great because being gay is okay... You sound just a bit scared to me, really. I can't see any actual backing behind the statements :dontknow:

500 years ago, people said the same thing about homosexuality. But homosexuality is legalised now. 500 years later from now, it's going to be a whole different world.
Beastiality and incest may be legalised. Keep an open mind.
500 years ago, people said the same thing about homosexuality. But homosexuality is legalised now. 500 years later from now, it's going to be a whole different world.
Beastiality and incest may be legalised. Keep an open mind.

How did people say the same thing? I don't get it... That doesn't make any sense.
How did people say the same thing? I don't get it... That doesn't make any sense.

It's an analogy ffs. There would have been people who thought the same things as you. But in their case they would say homosexuality would never be legalised
Yeah they could, but we don't use that argument do we? We limit it to what's normal. Not about consent and love, etc. It has the side effect of not including gay people, but it's necessary to prevent incest and the rest from being accepted.

If allowing heterosexual people to do what they want to do dosent lead to incest etc qhy would being gay do it
It's an analogy ffs. There would have been people who thought the same things as you. But in their case they would say homosexuality would never be legalised

It's a stupid analogy - they're not remotely alike in situation. Yes, but the arguments for why are very different.
To be honest, you can call me arrogant and fragile but you're the user completely losing your **** here.

Has it ever occurred to you that this is people's lives your talking about? Has it not occurred to you that attitudes like yours impact us? Everyone expects us to suck it up and move on but I'm sorry, no. That's not okay. Myself and literally all of my LGBTQIA friends and my cousin who is also a gay man in his 50s now, have suffered for years on end with constant psychological, emotional and physical complications as a result of others. Your attitude to my life is hurtful. I don't want my life to be a fight because if it is you get tired and this is the result of what happens when you get tired:

Spoiler

And look, at the end of the day pal, for all my faults, I do understand and respect other people's opinions but everybody is just so intent on making our lives harder than they need to be. People do refuse to even remotely accept the implications of their language. And I resent being told to grow up and suck up the negativity because that's all I have done since I was in primary school and was homophobically abused daily. Such things have happened daily for the past 12 years. And believe me, I'm so tired of it and everybody else going through it is too.

We have one month a year to commemorate our struggle and get together and be happy with each other - Pride Month in June - and people have issues with it. A guy wants to walk down the street holding their boyfriends hand and people have a problem with it, a problem they don't have with the girl and guy snogging on the other side of the road. Everybody says "I hate PDAs in general" but the proof is in the pudding and they rarely seem to act with so much disgust when it's the latter.

You know what man, I'm not trying to be bitter or argumentative or whiney, but these things hurt. And you can call me a professional victim until the cows come home but at the end of the day, I've been a victim of a lot just like most other LGBTQIA members of society and all we want is to be the normal guys and girls society seems to crave despite society being the thing that stands in our way.

With the comments about incest and so on, it just punches into people. They're clearly nothing alike and you say they are, which I can respect, but then you make it sound like it's a matter of fact and it's only your opinion. Homosexuality and heterosexuality are virtually the same apart from the genders of the participants and the same cannot be said for objects or incest. Again, I respect your right to completely disagree with me and my purpose in writing this was to explain to you why I come across so intolerant and irate sometimes. I'm genuinely not. I can have very civil discussions about this. My own parents are rather anti-gay and I have managed to live in their household for 18 years whilst they've completely battered the community I belong to, verbally.

I don't think there's much point in continuing the argument but I feel you underestimate how much I do know and understand about the alternative sides of these arguments. I simply don't agree with them. It doesn't mean I cannot see their angle or respect them.

Look, i respect your opinion. And I sincerely apologise for being rude to you. We've clashed before as you know, but know that I respect your opinion.

But i have to say that it is hypocritical to talk about the struggles of homosexuals, yet not be accepting of the same struggles of those in different situations. Incest is similar to those as well. Objectiphilia is certainly not obviously.

I'm simply consistent, and I stand by my opinions. This doesn't mean I see you as less of a person AT ALL. I'm not trying to go back on anything here by the way, just being honest. You've done me the courtesy of a calm respectful response and I will reciprocate. I never spoke out that homosexuality is bad, disgusting, etc etc. Gonna use the age old argument and say I have gay friends haha. But it should not become the norm, just as capital punishment, promiscuity, etc. should not be the norm either. Those things are fine. But not if they are wide spread.

Again. If I met you in person, i would probably have a heated debate about it over a meal, but don't think that I think of you as a lesser person at all.
Original post by debs20153
If allowing heterosexual people to do what they want to do dosent lead to incest etc qhy would being gay do it

Because the argument for accepting that is that it's consensual doesn't harm anyone.
Look, i respect your opinion. And I sincerely apologise for being rude to you. We've clashed before as you know, but know that I respect your opinion.

But i have to say that it is hypocritical to talk about the struggles of homosexuals, yet not be accepting of the same struggles of those in different situations. Incest is similar to those as well. Objectiphilia is certainly not obviously.

I'm simply consistent, and I stand by my opinions. This doesn't mean I see you as less of a person AT ALL. I'm not trying to go back on anything here by the way, just being honest. You've done me the courtesy of a calm respectful response and I will reciprocate. I never spoke out that homosexuality is bad, disgusting, etc etc. Gonna use the age old argument and say I have gay friends haha. But it should not become the norm, just as capital punishment, promiscuity, etc. should not be the norm either. Those things are fine. But not if they are wide spread.

Again. If I met you in person, i would probably have a heated debate about it over a meal, but don't think that I think of you as a lesser person at all.

I don't think it's hypocritical of me to not equate the struggles of the LGBTQIA community with incestuous individuals at all. I think they are leagues apart. I may acknowledge their issues and think they are unfair in some cases, which I do, but I do not see them as on the same level with LGBTQIA struggles. On level with our own, I'd place racial issues, gender issues, and religious hatred. Things like that. Yet, that's just me.

I'd say I'm you're missing the point: homosexuality can never become the norm. It simply cannot. We are a minority group and that will always be the case, I believe. When I speak of normality, I refer to integration. Getting to a point where people no longer see us as outsiders. I do not refer to us becoming the dominant, majority, force or community - that's silly.

:smile:
Oh my god, please are you this stupid?

"They're not remotely alike". Listen carefully doofus. 500 years ago or whatever, homosexuality was taboo. If you were homosexual you were basically the devil. In this era, NOBODY WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT HOMOSEXUALITY WOULD EVENTUALLY BE LEGALISED IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE IT WAS SO BAD AT THE TIME.

Now in our era, beastialiy and incest are taboo and illegal and it's socially just wrong and awful and bad in every way, right?(just like homosexuality was).
But if homosexuality is legalised then so can beastiality. It just takes a few hundred years.

The only difference in my analogy is the substitution of homosexuality with beastiality.

I'm not talking to you anymore you're wasting my time.

You need to calm down. I'm saying the argument you are now making did not match my comment. That's all.
You need to calm down. I'm saying the argument you are now making did not match my comment. That's all.

I was explaining the analogy you didn't understand
I don't think it's hypocritical of me to not equate the struggles of the LGBTQIA community with incestuous individuals at all. I think they are leagues apart. I may acknowledge their issues and think they are unfair in some cases, which I do, but I do not see them as on the same level with LGBTQIA struggles. On level with our own, I'd place racial issues, gender issues, and religious hatred. Things like that. Yet, that's just me.

I'd say I'm you're missing the point: homosexuality can never become the norm. It simply cannot. We are a minority group and that will always be the case, I believe. When I speak of normality, I refer to integration. Getting to a point where people no longer see us as outsiders. I do not refer to us becoming the dominant, majority, force or community - that's silly.

:smile:

I'm not talking about the importance of those issues. Thankfully they are the vast minority. I'm talking about the reason for acceptance. I don't want people to go around marrying their parents and so. But they will just use the reason that theyre consensual adults, and we won't have something to counter with. Ah well.

Let's just agree to disagree then haha. Lets hope we never clash again. And if we do, know I do it in good faith :yes:
I was explaining the analogy you didn't understand

I understand the analogy, not how it links to what I said...

You know what, at the end of the day I respect you. I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything, I was just frustrated that you couldn't understand my side of the argument.
In the end it doesn't matter.

I do, I just disagree.
"They're not remotely alike". . 500 years ago or whatever, homosexuality was taboo. If you were homosexual you were basically the devil. In this era, NOBODY WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT HOMOSEXUALITY WOULD EVENTUALLY BE LEGALISED IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE IT WAS SO BAD AT THE TIME.

Now in our era, beastialiy and incest are taboo and illegal and it's socially just wrong and awful and bad in every way, right?(just like homosexuality was).
But if homosexuality is legalised then so can beastiality. It just takes a few hundred years.

The only difference in my analogy is the substitution of homosexuality with beastiality.

If that's your argument you could say that some day rape and murder will be legal.

Because the argument for accepting that is that it's consensual doesn't harm anyone.

But homosexuality doesn't harm anyone either...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending