Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finding a part time job/ work placement during gap year Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    From September to December I've got a huge "gap" in my gap year dedicated to working to earn money or gain work experience to put on my cv before volunteering for 8 months in Africa. How do you find a worthwhile job/placement? Any suggestions welcome
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 9katybaty8)
    Hi!
    From September to December I've got a huge "gap" in my gap year dedicated to working to earn money or gain work experience to put on my cv before volunteering for 8 months in Africa. How do you find a worthwhile job/placement? Any suggestions welcome
    what is it you will be studying in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    what is it you will be studying in the future?
    Economics and geography or land law

ReputationRep:
    Go for something as simple as customer service. You know restaurants, hotels and shops. I do not think you will be able to find a job relevant to your future degree without actually having it. Restaurants and hotels are better than shops in my opinion as in addition to your regular salary you get tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hungry Student)
    Go for something as simple as customer service. You know restaurants, hotels and shops. I do not think you will be able to find a job relevant to your future degree without actually having it. Restaurants and hotels are better than shops in my opinion as in addition to your regular salary you get tips
    Good advice, should I jst send a cv then? Or do I need to call up, visit and all the rest? I'm sorry I am a complete novice at this

ReputationRep:
    Good advice, should I jst send a cv then? Or do I need to call up, visit and all the rest? I'm sorry I am a complete novice at this
    There are two ways to apply:

1) Go to online website (such as gumtree) write motivational or whatever letter they ask you (It is not too hard and you can use it as a template for other job vacancies) and attach your CV, send it. That is it.
    2) Take your CV and go to every restaurant, cafe, hotel, bar, shop or whatever that you can find and ask for the manager then hand them your CV. In this case you want to dress as sharp as possible and to look the best you can, obviously do not overdress with a suit or something too formal, but make yourself look really good, it will work to your advantage over those that simply send CV as in the 1) option. Also in this case try to be talk active and you know prepare yourself since you will need to talk, this way you can impress the manager and show that you are good choice for them.

Now what I actually suggest you to do is try both of these methods, you will not be walking around restaurants looking for a job at night time so use that time for online application. If you are going to another city prepare your CV beforehand and you may even want to apply for some jobs before you arrive, make yourself ready, because the worst that can happen is you running out of money while stressing about how you cant find a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hungry Student)
    There are two ways to apply:

1) Go to online website (such as gumtree) write motivational or whatever letter they ask you (It is not too hard and you can use it as a template for other job vacancies) and attach your CV, send it. That is it.
    2) Take your CV and go to every restaurant, cafe, hotel, bar, shop or whatever that you can find and ask for the manager then hand them your CV. In this case you want to dress as sharp as possible and to look the best you can, obviously do not overdress with a suit or something too formal, but make yourself look really good, it will work to your advantage over those that simply send CV as in the 1) option. Also in this case try to be talk active and you know prepare yourself since you will need to talk, this way you can impress the manager and show that you are good choice for them.

Now what I actually suggest you to do is try both of these methods, you will not be walking around restaurants looking for a job at night time so use that time for online application. If you are going to another city prepare your CV beforehand and you may even want to apply for some jobs before you arrive, make yourself ready, because the worst that can happen is you running out of money while stressing about how you cant find a job.

if you do want to try and get a job in a shop tho (like waitrose or co-op or smth) how would you apply? and do they take people for a 4-6 month period?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    hope you don't mind me asking about your volunteering as i'm currently looking into that
    have you already booked your volunteering in africa? what organisation did you use? and how expensive was it?
    thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elenaxxx)
    hope you don't mind me asking about your volunteering as i'm currently looking into that
    have you already booked your volunteering in africa? what organisation did you use? and how expensive was it?
    thx
    I'm volunteering with Project Trust so its a long term placement and I'll be teaching from January to August 2017. If you're taking your gap year starting in august 2017 you can still apply but otherwise this cycle won't be available. The price is good though, I jave to fundraise 5500 pounds for an 8 month placement. If I hadn't gone with Project Trust other organisations I considered are Raleigh International and Outreach International, they are a bit pricey but I think the work they do is worthwhile compared to other money making organisations. If you've got a passion for animals the SAN parks website is good place to visit as they can give you a list of websites you can visit with direct access to the park's volunteering scheme and not a third man company.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.