Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my controlled assessment, I achieved an A2 and an A1 which averages out at about an A2. (60% of the course)

I'm aiming to achieve an A grade overall; according to my teacher, I need to achieve 68/80 in the exam in order to get this grade. However, considering the fact that the exam is 40% and the CA is 60% and an A in the exam last year was 49/80 does that mean that my teacher is wrong? The fact that I can only lose 12 marks is worrying and I really want to get my target Surely I'd only need to get around 50/80 in the exam, which is an average A, to get an overall grade of an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry_16)
    In my controlled assessment, I achieved an A2 and an A1 which averages out at about an A2. (60% of the course)

I'm aiming to achieve an A grade overall; according to my teacher, I need to achieve 68/80 in the exam in order to get this grade. However, considering the fact that the exam is 40% and the CA is 60% and an A in the exam last year was 49/80 does that mean that my teacher is wrong? The fact that I can only lose 12 marks is worrying and I really want to get my target Surely I'd only need to get around 50/80 in the exam, which is an average A, to get an overall grade of an A.
    Teacher's typically don't know anything about boundaries, UMS, proportions of exam:CA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    Teacher's typically don't know anything about boundaries, UMS, proportions of exam:CA.
    Does that mean I'm correct and I'm still able to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry_16)
    Does that mean I'm correct and I'm still able to get an A*?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I've made a spreadsheet where it calculated what mark you'll need in the exam based off the average grade boundaries from the last couple of years. If you tell me the mark you got in your two controlled assessments, I can work it out for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRoberts)
    I've made a spreadsheet where it calculated what mark you'll need in the exam based off the average grade boundaries from the last couple of years. If you tell me the mark you got in your two controlled assessments, I can work it out for you?
    I got 45 in one of my coursework and 44 for the other. What do you think I need to get in the exam to get an A*? I was thinking approximately 50/80 to get an A* overall but I don't know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_infires)
    I got 45 in one of my coursework and 44 for the other. What do you think I need to get in the exam to get an A*? I was thinking approximately 50/80 to get an A* overall but I don't know for sure.
    Ok, so you need 90 UMS to get an A*.

90 UMS on past papers:
    2015 = 46/80
    2014 = 49/80
    2013 = 58/80
    2012 = 55/80
    2011 = 60/80

so, on average for the last 5 years you would need about 54/80 however it looks like, at least for the last 2 years, the grade boundaries have got easier so I would say that 50 marks should be enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.