The Student Room Group

Hate law degree at Oxford

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation to that which i'm in right now.
Studying law at Oxford Uni, and absolutely hate it. I'm really happy with friends and with the place (mostly) but i resent every hour I spend reading and cannot find the motivation to do my work on time or to get to grips with the material. The workload is insane, as i'm sure you all know, but would be manageable if I was interested.
I did science A levels and for the entirety of sixth form was deliberating between pursing medicine and law.
It sounds like the most ridiculous, pathetic complaint. I am well aware of how bloody lucky I am to have managed to land a spot at Oxford to study law, and to discuss this with friends or tutors here makes me feel unbelievably guilty. Someone else could have taken this spot. I know.
But the course is long, and so so hard, and I have a year abroad studying law in a different country, and i hate it. Every case, every article... I have 0 passion. I even hate the idea of working in the law.
I detest the money-centric, selfish nature of so much of what i read about. I don't care who gets what compensation or why the rule of law isn't a part of the constitution.
I am insanely jealous of my friends doing science degrees. I don't go a day, or night, without thinking this through a million times over and imagining some scenario where i could somehow change course. Im genuinely so unhappy and feel so guilty about it. And thats not even starting on how my family would feel if i dropped out
What the hell do you do in this situation? I have no idea. It would be easier if i hated Oxford too, but i don't. Feel like such a crap person.
I know my options are
a) get on with it (most likely). and either fall in love with the subject, just power through, or look into grad medicine or something, though this is ridiculously competitive
b) some kind of internal transfer onto anything else, though this is impossible given the time of year it is and just coz
c) quit now, spend summer forming an application and applying for entry into a new course for 2017. having already had a year off due to indecision though I would be 21, nearly 22 on entry.
I am already in so much debt after one year i literally don't care about an extra 9,000. all i know is that a law degree at oxford is possibly the most energy and time consuming, soul destroying, academically intense thing anyone could wish to do, and the thought of attempting it without a shred of passion makes me cry every bloody night. But it is also so prestigious and i am so lucky to have this opportunity, so I can't exactly just quit.
Anyone ever felt like this? Or if anyone can offer any words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks so much. Also if anyone is looking at applying for law, I am more than happy to chat to you/ send you examples of what I do/ give interview tips etc etc etc. Nobody should even contemplate starting a law degree without full knowledge of what it involves.
Thanks again x
Reply 1
honestly just get on with it. you won't regret it.
I would go for option C
Reply 3
Original post by anonymousanna
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation to that which i'm in right now.
Studying law at Oxford Uni, and absolutely hate it. I'm really happy with friends and with the place (mostly) but i resent every hour I spend reading and cannot find the motivation to do my work on time or to get to grips with the material. The workload is insane, as i'm sure you all know, but would be manageable if I was interested.
I did science A levels and for the entirety of sixth form was deliberating between pursing medicine and law.
It sounds like the most ridiculous, pathetic complaint. I am well aware of how bloody lucky I am to have managed to land a spot at Oxford to study law, and to discuss this with friends or tutors here makes me feel unbelievably guilty. Someone else could have taken this spot. I know.
But the course is long, and so so hard, and I have a year abroad studying law in a different country, and i hate it. Every case, every article... I have 0 passion. I even hate the idea of working in the law.
I detest the money-centric, selfish nature of so much of what i read about. I don't care who gets what compensation or why the rule of law isn't a part of the constitution.
I am insanely jealous of my friends doing science degrees. I don't go a day, or night, without thinking this through a million times over and imagining some scenario where i could somehow change course. Im genuinely so unhappy and feel so guilty about it. And thats not even starting on how my family would feel if i dropped out
What the hell do you do in this situation? I have no idea. It would be easier if i hated Oxford too, but i don't. Feel like such a crap person.
I know my options are
a) get on with it (most likely). and either fall in love with the subject, just power through, or look into grad medicine or something, though this is ridiculously competitive
b) some kind of internal transfer onto anything else, though this is impossible given the time of year it is and just coz
c) quit now, spend summer forming an application and applying for entry into a new course for 2017. having already had a year off due to indecision though I would be 21, nearly 22 on entry.
I am already in so much debt after one year i literally don't care about an extra 9,000. all i know is that a law degree at oxford is possibly the most energy and time consuming, soul destroying, academically intense thing anyone could wish to do, and the thought of attempting it without a shred of passion makes me cry every bloody night. But it is also so prestigious and i am so lucky to have this opportunity, so I can't exactly just quit.
Anyone ever felt like this? Or if anyone can offer any words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks so much. Also if anyone is looking at applying for law, I am more than happy to chat to you/ send you examples of what I do/ give interview tips etc etc etc. Nobody should even contemplate starting a law degree without full knowledge of what it involves.
Thanks again x

Make sure you finish first year with a grade if you haven't already finished first year, then if you don't go to Uni or transfer to a different uni you can still say to employers that you got a grade from Oxford first year.

If you were at a Uni that wasn't Oxbridge I'd say deal with it but at Oxford I would say definitely change, 2 years at Oxford studying a degree you love sounds hard enough as it is, a degree you hate would be torture.

I think most people go to University to have a great time and have fun and/or to study something you love. If you're at Oxford I doubt you will have an amazing social life as well as not enjoying what you're studying, what's the point of staying?

Oxford Law - Bad social life, horrible time studying, amazing career prospects for a career you wouldn't want to go into
Russell Group Uni for different degree - Great social life, great time studying, not as good but still very good career prospects for a career you would want
Hi guys,

I know my options are

Thanks again x

Damn, I would have loved to have done law at Oxford! Applied for Cambridge and got rejected - I'm a mature student and was advised that Cambridge was more accepting/sympathetic/encouraging of mature students and more likely to consider them. Also, the career prospects are immeasurably improved with attending Oxbridge in law in a way it isn't for many other subjects/discipline. However, the workload for law seems to be a lot and doing that with the pressure of having shorter terms seems extremely onerous, but especially so if you're not interested! Even those interested in law find many of the compulsory units absolutely boring!

I don't think being a mature student should stop you. I thought I was really old when I was 20/21/22 - ie older than all of the other 18 year olds and hence that it would be difficult for me - but it's really not much of a difference.

I'm 26 now and have returned to do my A-levels with a bunch of 18-20 year olds and my closest friends from the course are 19/20 year olds. I've had friends who've had mature students on their course whom they befriended and they said it wasn't as big a deal as I think it to be. If you want to drop out and re-apply for sciences/medicine, go for it - don't let age stop you! At the end of the day, being 21 or 22 but doing something you enjoy, find interesting and are passionate about will be more beneficial to you during the remainder of your life - a solid 70 years probably! - than graduating from a subject you detest, pursuing a career you may detest/ limiting access to a career you're better suited for or more interested in, and being able to say you swam with the tide (stayed in the same year as and graduated with your fellow cohorts).

There's also the possibility of doing a law conversion course after you graduate from reading any subject, so if anyone reading this is in the same boat - choosing between science or law - that option exists to you!

Also, there's always the option of graduate medicine if you decide to stick it out.
i've just finished my law degree. i didnt enjoy large parts of it but worked hard and its a great feeling knowing that i've give it my all.

i would have killed to have had the opportunity to be at oxford. i would carry on. i'm not sure how your degree is structured but in years two and three you will get to choose options that interest you (or just ones you think you can do well in). unless you are planning a compete career change (like medicine or engineering), i wouldn't bother changing degree. law at oxford is a very prestigious degree.
Hi guys,
I know my options are
Thanks again x

Not doing law but also at Oxford and know how you feel, PM me.
I think the question is whether or not you really want to be a lawyer afterwards. If you do, STICK IT OUT. If not, transfer, whatever you do is better than hating it there.
I agree with mostly everything that people have said above, but I would add one point.

I have just finished my second year of law and I agree that swathes of an undergraduate law degree are boring. There are certain elements which are extraordinarily dry and boring, particularly in the core modules. Similarly, I have friends who do Medicine and agree that large chunks of their course are boring as well. Almost all undergraduate degrees will be boring in part. The key thing is whether you have a passion for the things which may interest you for example, you might hate trusts and land, but find that optional modules like medical law capture your interest. That would be normal. Although, it sounds like you have zero passion whatsoever for the law, which would make studying it a painful experience. I suppose, what I am saying is, just be sure that you have no passion whatsoever for law, as opposed to having no passion for the parts they essentially force you to learn the grass is always greener on the other side. You will struggle to find a degree that does not have elements which are extremely boring.
Reply 9
well that's interesting, I remember your other thread. it really does come across as though you genuinely dislike studying law, including for some principled reasons. given that, and that you point out you don't really care about 9k tacked on to already infinite debt, I think option C sounds good.

1 - you get out of this course which is clearly not right for you, 2 - you get time to go travelling / think and be sure about what you want to apply for next year.

having said that, the suggestion of finishing year one also has its merits, (if its doable) being an academically safer option (maybe?).

beyond that it is a matter of doing what it is right for you to be doing, and to know what that is I suggest to do some philosophical thinking. for my money, plato is the smartest person who ever lived, so read some plato and see where the insight takes you (start with Euthyphro > the apology > crito).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi guys,
I know my options are
Thanks again x

What happened in the end. I want to change course. Is that possible?
Reply 11
Hi guys,
I know my options are
Thanks again x

Oh, this is making me rethink what I want to study at University. Is Law REALLY that boring? I think it would be good if you sent me examples of what you do please..
Hi guys,
I know my options are
Thanks again x

Hey,
I don’t know if anyone will see this but I’m currently in year 12 and I’m really interested in applying to oxford for law. Could you tell me what to expect/ if anything surprised you or was how you expected it to be etc. I’m just really interested in finding out what it’s really like to do law/ to go to oxford because I’m really drawn to it but obviously It’s a completely new subject so there’s no real way of knowing how you feel about it properly until you actually studied it. I’ve started reading some books in general to introduce me into it but it would be really helpful to get some advice from someone who’s gone through it. Also @anonymousanna what did you end up deciding to do?
Any general advice is really appreciated - thanks :smile:
Original post by __heidix
Hey,
I don’t know if anyone will see this but I’m currently in year 12 and I’m really interested in applying to oxford for law. Could you tell me what to expect/ if anything surprised you or was how you expected it to be etc. I’m just really interested in finding out what it’s really like to do law/ to go to oxford because I’m really drawn to it but obviously It’s a completely new subject so there’s no real way of knowing how you feel about it properly until you actually studied it. I’ve started reading some books in general to introduce me into it but it would be really helpful to get some advice from someone who’s gone through it. Also @anonymousanna what did you end up deciding to do?
Any general advice is really appreciated - thanks :smile:

Anonymousanna has not been on TSR since 2017. This thread will be closed as it is 3 years old but I suggest you start a thread asking about it on the Oxford University thread :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending