Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i just recently started a beauty blog, and would appreciate it if anyone checked it out! Leave a comment
    any tips, criticisms, etc all welcome!! comment your blog and ill check it out
    http://mlena.blog.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    i just recently started a beauty blog, and would appreciate it if anyone checked it out! Leave a comment
    any tips, criticisms, etc all welcome!! comment your blog and ill check it out
    http://mlena.blog.com/
    oooooh this is cool (Loved the reviews on the foundation!)!!! I'm absolutely terrible at makeup!!! i can't even get mascara on with out stabbing myself in the eye!!!!

I'll deffo check it out! :yep:

repped and followed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also there are few typos on there, so you might want to check them out
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Quick question: what the hell is primer and what is highlighting? I see it everywhere but what do these words mean?! and what difference does it make when you use these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    oooooh this is cool (Loved the reviews on the foundation!)!!! I'm absolutely terrible at makeup!!! i can't even get mascara on with out stabbing myself in the eye!!!!

I'll deffo check it out! :yep:

repped and followed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also there are few typos on there, so you might want to check them out
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Quick question: what the hell is primer and what is highlighting? I see it everywhere but what do these words mean?! and what difference does it make when you use these?
    thank you so much! ill check the typos, although i have to specify the spelling is english not american (not sure where you are!)

primer is like a base for your foundation/make up. think of it as a base coat for nail varnish! It makes your make up go on more smoothly and stay on for longer, almost like a glue! there are different types such as glowing etc but i wouldn't worry about that if you're new to make up. Personally I don't bother with a primer but i do moisturize before putting on make up, so that acts like a primer

highlighting is basically raising your features (eg brow bone and cheek bones) to make them stand out more. This is the opposite to contouring (creating a shadow for a slimming effect). You can do this by applying a lighter/brightening product such as concealer or powder (again, i wouldn't bother unless its a special day). you can also apply a shimmery colour to these areas, although i only suggest bridge of the nose, brow bone, upper cheek bone and cupid's bow. This will give a shimmery, 'wet' illusion. Collection do a great shimmer brick for this!

would you find it useful if I did a post on this and included some products you could use? hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! ill check the typos, although i have to specify the spelling is english not american (not sure where you are!)

primer is like a base for your foundation/make up. think of it as a base coat for nail varnish! It makes your make up go on more smoothly and stay on for longer, almost like a glue! there are different types such as glowing etc but i wouldn't worry about that if you're new to make up. Personally I don't bother with a primer but i do moisturize before putting on make up, so that acts like a primer

highlighting is basically raising your features (eg brow bone and cheek bones) to make them stand out more. This is the opposite to contouring (creating a shadow for a slimming effect). You can do this by applying a lighter/brightening product such as concealer or powder (again, i wouldn't bother unless its a special day). you can also apply a shimmery colour to these areas, although i only suggest bridge of the nose, brow bone, upper cheek bone and cupid's bow. This will give a shimmery, 'wet' illusion. Collection do a great shimmer brick for this!

would you find it useful if I did a post on this and included some products you could use? hope this helps!
    haha no problem!!! yeah i'm in the UK don't worry about that!

ahhh okay, that makes alot more sense- so that's why my friend freaks out when she remembers that she forgot to put on primer!
    does moisturiser do that? like a primer sub?

ah i see, so it a bit like contouring? to highlight parts of the face? i guess 'highlighting' kind of gives it away for what it does- can't believe i didn't guess that!!
    i see, so it's something i could possibly use for prom?!

Yes!!! that would be awesome if you could please?! It'll keep me updated too!!!
    It was very helpful! :yep:

ReputationRep:

ahhh okay, that makes alot more sense- so that's why my friend freaks out when she remembers that she forgot to put on primer!

ah i see, so it a bit like contouring? to highlight parts of the face? i guess 'highlighting' kind of gives it away for what it does- can't believe i didn't guess that!!

It was very helpful! :yup:
    no worries, im just finishing off the post! Yes contouring and highlighting are opposites I'd say definitely highlight (shimmery highlight) for prom as it'll look stunning in photos! However be careful with foundations, baking etc as it could give a white flash back if they contain SPF

ReputationRep:

It was very helpful! :yep:
    and yeah, a moisturizer would do the same thing, although if you are going to have your make up on for extra long, perhaps use a primer as thats what its made for post is now up

ReputationRep:
    no worries, im just finishing off the post! Yes contouring and highlighting are opposites I'd say definitely highlight (shimmery highlight) for prom as it'll look stunning in photos! However be careful with foundations, baking etc as it could give a white flash back if they contain SPF

yay!! I'll have a read!

ahhh, okay that's cool!! I'll use that! :yep:

okay- primer for longer- noted! thank you!!!!!

ohh okay, see the problem i get with foundations is that i can never find the right one to match my skin- i either end up looking like a ghost or a baked potato, have you got any tips for finding the one the actually matches my skin tone?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    errrmm sorry to be a pain, but what is Baking? I'm sooo bad at make-up!

ReputationRep:
    Rainbowcorn okay so i've just read your blog, and that makes sooooo much sense now!!!

i like the way you explain what the words/processes actually mean and then give tips on how to actually do it!
    it really helps beginners like me:yep:

ReputationRep:
    yay!! I'll have a read!

ahhh, okay that's cool!! I'll use that! :yep:

okay- primer for longer- noted! thank you!!!!!

ohh okay, see the problem i get with foundations is that i can never find the right one to match my skin- i either end up looking like a ghost or a baked potato, have you got any tips for finding the one the actually matches my skin tone?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    errrmm sorry to be a pain, but what is Baking? I'm sooo bad at make-up!
    go to a make up store with no foundation on and try a little bit on your jawline and very gently blend it in. The colour that you most can't see, is the colour that suits you. If you go to high end stores or No.7 (or normal stores if you ask them nicely) they can do a little test on you hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Rainbowcorn okay so i've just read your blog, and that makes sooooo much sense now!!!

i like the way you explain what the words/processes actually mean and then give tips on how to actually do it!
    it really helps beginners like me:yep:
    aw thank you so much, i appreciate it! I just started on friday I think, so haven't even had the blog for a week!

ReputationRep:
    go to a make up store with no foundation on and try a little bit on your jawline and very gently blend it in. The colour that you most can't see, is the colour that suits you. If you go to high end stores or No.7 (or normal stores if you ask them nicely) they can do a little test on you hope that makes sense!
    ahhhh okay!! that's cool, i'll do that! :yep:

thank you sooooooo much!!! :hugs:

They'd do that?! awesome!

ReputationRep:
    aw thank you so much, i appreciate it! I just started on friday I think, so haven't even had the blog for a week!
    really? wow! you're really good at writing though!! because it's well written! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    really? wow! you're really good at writing though!! because it's well written! :yep:
    thanks! I talk about make up to my friends all the time so they suggested I start a blog spread the word if you can

ReputationRep:
    bump

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.