Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The coalition has been dropping these leaflets on ISIS positions around Manbij in Northern Syria.

Very rough translation below picture

ISIS soldier: Please send reinforcements immediately, we are being overrun!

ISIS commander: Yes, we are sending 100 fighters immediately.

Guys next to commander: But we have no more men, he's told us that lie 100 times before
    I find this quite interesting. The psychological warfare experts know that every psychological operation needs to contain elements of truth otherwise it doesn't have credibility with the target audience.

The NSA and Defense Intelligence Agency analysts who listen to hour upon hour of ISIS radio transmissions (pretty much everything on the electromagnetic spectrum that emanates from Iraq and Syria is hoovered up for analysis) likely know there is serious dissension in ISIS ranks, that trust is starting to break down between the fighters and the leadership.

And that's when you know you're winning the war; as long as the common fighter/soldier perceives that they will be safer remaining part of the group and following orders from officers, they stay cohesive. It's when that perception breaks down and they no longer trust that they have a greater chance of staying alive by following orders that cohesion begins to disappear.

Re that point, I encourage anyone with an interest in these issues to check out this documentary. It's one episode of a six-part series by a journalist called Gwynne Dyer called War. This episode is called The Profession of Arms; Dyer really is exceptionally insightful about stripping away the layers of abstraction and explaining the fundamentals of warfare, group mentality on the battlefield and in the command structure and about the military as a professional caste. One commenter (seemingly a veteran) calls Dyer a modern Clausewitz but I think Dyer's more interesting

ReputationRep:
    Can you please stop making threads about ISIS? Its annoying for some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    You sound quite defensive. Does it have something to do with this attitude you expressed on a thread about 9/11?

Yes, because they planned to start never-ending war against Terrorism. Apparently, zionist jews already know their fate and so they defamed all Muslims in the name of terrorism to take the whole world with them
    Yes, some people who sympathise with ISIS might be irritated by them. Others (they know, and I know, who they are; they usually respond) tend to appreciate them.

If you find the threat distasteful then don't click it. You're like one of those people who sees a programme labelled "Gay Sex Extravaganza" in the TV guide and then watch it just so they can complain about it to OFCOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to my first post, I really encourage you all to check out that documentary. Watch the first 15 minutes, I'm pretty sure if you're interested in this kind of stuff you'll know that you're watching something very special indeed.

I think the Israeli brigadier has it right when he says, "We've come to a stage where military operations have to be very, very professional. It's not a game for amateurs anymore". When they do play, you end up seeing the kind of lopsided losses we've seen in the ISIS war; 3 US soldiers killed as against 25,000 ISIS fatalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    Then don't click on them? Why do you find it annoying?

OP makes important threads with some great posts to go with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Then don't click on them? Why do you find it annoying?

OP makes important threads with some great posts to go with it.
    Ah thanks dude. It is very strange indeed when people click/watch something simply in order to complain about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.