Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I stopped taking venlafaxine about a week ago. Aside from nasty withdrawals I felt better than I had for weeks. Not good, but I wasn't sleeping all the time and I could actually get out of bed.

I was prescribed my 6th antidepressant on Friday and, after taking it for two days, I've started to feel worse again. I just want to go to bed and stay there.

Everything I've been prescribed has either not helped or made things much worse. I've stopped taking the new one and I'm waiting for a referral to see a psychiatrist about trying a mood stabilizer, but I just don't know why nothing's working

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I stopped taking venlafaxine about a week ago. Aside from nasty withdrawals I felt better than I had for weeks. Not good, but I wasn't sleeping all the time and I could actually get out of bed.

I was prescribed my 6th antidepressant on Friday and, after taking it for two days, I've started to feel worse again. I just want to go to bed and stay there.

Everything I've been prescribed has either not helped or made things much worse. I've stopped taking the new one and I'm waiting for a referral to see a psychiatrist about trying a mood stabilizer, but I just don't know why nothing's working
    Some people do require trying numerous antidepressants before finding one that works, or even, as you've said, needing a mood stabilizer instead. It took me 9 antidepressants before I found one that worked for me and it was a terrible experience before that - all the side effects, then the withdrawal effects, just bleurgh.

I would say that you probably shouldn't have stopped your newest one. It's only been a couple of days and antidepressants take longer than that to kick in. You often get more side effects at the start of taking a new one but these should dissipate within a couple of weeks - the antidepressant effect often takes 6 - 8 weeks to really take effect and you can't really make a judgement before that. I get what you mean about wanting to stay in bed (it's not mirtazapine is it?) but often if you give it a chance this should wear off.

It can feel really disheartening to try so many and only feel worse but yeah I think seeing a psychiatrist is your best course of action here. However, the NHS can often take a hell of a long time to get referrals through so in the meantime I really would recommend giving this latest drug a chance. If you have exams now it might be an idea to hold off taking it for a few weeks and then giving things a go once you have your summer free.

But yeah, I can sympathize and it sucks. I hope you find something that helps you soon. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Some people do require trying numerous antidepressants before finding one that works, or even, as you've said, needing a mood stabilizer instead. It took me 9 antidepressants before I found one that worked for me and it was a terrible experience before that - all the side effects, then the withdrawal effects, just bleurgh.

I would say that you probably shouldn't have stopped your newest one. It's only been a couple of days and antidepressants take longer than that to kick in. You often get more side effects at the start of taking a new one but these should dissipate within a couple of weeks - the antidepressant effect often takes 6 - 8 weeks to really take effect and you can't really make a judgement before that. I get what you mean about wanting to stay in bed (it's not mirtazapine is it?) but often if you give it a chance this should wear off.

It can feel really disheartening to try so many and only feel worse but yeah I think seeing a psychiatrist is your best course of action here. However, the NHS can often take a hell of a long time to get referrals through so in the meantime I really would recommend giving this latest drug a chance. If you have exams now it might be an idea to hold off taking it for a few weeks and then giving things a go once you have your summer free.

But yeah, I can sympathize and it sucks. I hope you find something that helps you soon. :console:
    Thank you! You're right that it's disheartening, especially when I've been feeling a bit better recently. I hadn't actually missed a dose when I posted this and I've just taken my morning dose so I guess I'm continuing My main concern is just that I've got loads of exams this month that I'm not prepared for, and if I end up a zombie like I was on venlafaxine I've got no chance. But yeah, I'll stick with it and at least for a few days and see how things go.

It's not mirtazapine, it's lofepramine. I tried mirtazapine at one point though and it was awful, it made me really drowsy and I had to sleep after taking it. It had actually started making me feel better, but I had to come off it due to the side effects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

ADs will make it worse for a couple of weeks but should then start to improve things (can take months to notice change).
    I suggest you talk to a psychiatrist about your concerns. I also really suggest therapy when you are feeling up to it. For me ADs made me well enought to cope with therapy and then therapy did most of the actual improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    ADs will make it worse for a couple of weeks but should then start to improve things (can take months to notice change).
    I suggest you talk to a psychiatrist about your concerns. I also really suggest therapy when you are feeling up to it. For me ADs made me well enought to cope with therapy and then therapy did most of the actual improvement.
    Thanks, I'm still taking them. My head feels like it's gonna explode and I've hardly been able to sleep, don't know if that's the new meds or withdrawals from the old ones but I'll stick with it.

I'm in my third round of therapy right now. First time completely changed my life, but since that I've found it pretty useless I've got my last session in a couple of weeks, I might try again with a different therapist.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks, I'm still taking them. My head feels like it's gonna explode and I've hardly been able to sleep, don't know if that's the new meds or withdrawals from the old ones but I'll stick with it.

I'm in my third round of therapy right now. First time completely changed my life, but since that I've found it pretty useless I've got my last session in a couple of weeks, I might try again with a different therapist.
    I tended to find that after a while therapy would just stop helping. Coming back to it after a while or trying somewhere else is a good idea. What type of therapy is it you're having? I found that doing one type got dull quickly. For me the best was mixed therapy (group) in day sessions. Even when the therapy wasn't helping much it was nice to be with people who understood.

Hang in there. When I went on ADs I felt aweful but after sticking with it I felt better. It's a long road so have patience and try to keep looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck. Hope these are the ones that will help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

Mitrazapine is horrible. Especially when it's prescribed to a ward of 13 and 14 year olds, and is not meant for use on children. Gets me all worked up when I think about it!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.