Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On question 3eii of the paper attached, why can't you say that the positrons carry away energy or even the helium nucleus
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 2006 Jan - Nuclear & Particle Physics - Mark Scheme.pdf (101.2 KB, 64 views)
  2. File Type: pdf 2006 Jan - Nuclear & Particle Physics.pdf (191.4 KB, 128 views)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by runny4)
    On question 3eii of the paper attached, why can't you say that the positrons carry away energy or even the helium nucleus
    Charge is not energy. The mass of a positron is very much smaller than that of a helium nucleus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but this is the only way I can make sense of it.If neutrinos didn't escape the energy would be the value you calculated. However, because neutrinos leak away from inside the sun, the energy produced, that remains in the sun, is less.
    Even if the other particles did gain energy, I don't think the other particles escape, or if they do they escape millions of times more slowly. Hence the (kinetic) energy would stay in the sun and wouldn't decrease the total energy.
    This is why you'd talk about the neutrinos instead of the others - because the neutrinos leave and therefore take away some of the energy with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Charge is not energy. The mass of a positron is very much smaller than that of a helium nucleus.
    the mark scheme only gives the mark for neutrinos
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the mark scheme only gives the mark for neutrinos
    Yes, it is the only correct answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Yes, it is the only correct answer.
    but this 'Charge is not energy. The mass of a positron is very much smaller than that of a helium nucleus.' doesn't really explain to me why
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but this 'Charge is not energy. The mass of a positron is very much smaller than that of a helium nucleus.' doesn't really explain to me why
    I thought you were asking about the properties of positrons to start with - I didn't read the question.

The helium produced in hydrogen fusion is not expelled from The Sun. In fact, the helium itself will be used in a second fusion phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I thought you were asking about the properties of positrons to start with - I didn't read the question.

The helium produced in hydrogen fusion is not expelled from The Sun. In fact, the helium itself will be used in a second fusion phase.
    ok thanks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.