Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how on earth do you remember all the differnet conditions, illnesses, medications etc?
    theres hundreds!!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Upgrade brain hard drive by 32 gb for only £ 9.99

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    how on earth do you remember all the differnet conditions, illnesses, medications etc?
    theres hundreds!!
    That's what 5 years of uni and 5+ years of postgraduate training is for.

Plus we don't remember everything, but develop a structure for assessing, investigating and treating the common stuff, and know where to look for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's what 5 years of uni and 5+ years of postgraduate training is for.

Plus we don't remember everything, but develop a structure for assessing, investigating and treating the common stuff, and know where to look for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah ok thankyou
    i thought you all just had amazing memories

ReputationRep:
    Spaced repetition and a lot of hard work. A lot of things keep coming up over and over again, especially if you see them day after day.

It's like London cabbies learning The Knowledge

That said, some stuff will end up being forgotten. I really doubt a consultant surgeon remembers much psychiatry or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    Memory? What memory? That's what the internet is for.

(Original post by Democracy)
    That said, some stuff will end up being forgotten. I really doubt a consultant surgeon remembers any medicine at all or vice versa.
    Corrected.

This is probably the best answer. I am of the opinion that your knowledge actually peaks just before you take finals. The only reason seniors seem more knowledgeable is that they can delete unnecessary surgical/medical/psychiatric knowledge and focus on only the stuff they need to know. In terms of raw breadth of knowledge: med students undoubtedly win.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Memory? What memory? That's what the internet is for.

Corrected.

This is probably the best answer. I am of the opinion that your knowledge actually peaks just before you take finals. The only reason seniors seem more knowledgeable is that they can delete unnecessary surgical/medical/psychiatric knowledge and focus on only the stuff they need to know. In terms of raw breadth of knowledge: med students undoubtedly win.
    In terms of raw breath, I knew more just before leaving high school!

ReputationRep:
    Medical school has really taught me the meaning of the saying "I've forgotten more about [X] than you've ever learnt"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.