Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Myth-Busting Mondays: Deafblindness watch

• View Poll Results: How many UK 10-29yr olds have both a hearing and visual impairment?
    3 in 1000
    35.75%
    3 in 2000
    18.87%
    3 in 5000
    22.45%
    3 in 10000
    15.66%
    3 in 15000
    7.26%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    To conclude our series on sensory impairments, this week is on hearing and visual impairments together! You can find their individual threads here and here.

90% of what we learn from our surroundings at a distance comes from some combination of hearing and sight. A person who is completely deafblind can't do this at all, so most things they learn come from things they are in contact with usually by touch. Even if the loss of one or both senses isn't complete, someone with these problems will have a very different experience of the world to a 'normal' person and is likely to do things in very different ways. Examples of things affected include movement, communication, social interaction and using many everyday objects without specific adaptations- if you think about how a person with the loss of just one sense does these things, many of them rely more on the other so the needs of those with both are very specific. It's also worth noting that many people with these also have other disabilities and medical conditions, which also affect how they learn and perceive the things around them.

Our question is: What proportion of UK 10-29 year olds have both a hearing and visual impairment?

Do you have hearing and visual impairments or do you know anyone who has? What challenges would you face and how do you think you would cope? Is there anything you think you wouldn't be able to do that you would really miss?

Please note you can post anonymously in this thread

Has to be a really tiny proportion right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Has to be a really tiny proportion right?
    Wait until tomorrow and you'll find out! it is pretty small yes, all the answers are though.

There's an interesting article here on how deafblind people can learn which minimarshmallow showed me yesterday- I meant to add it in the OP but totally forgot! Well worth a read though if anyone's interested
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As mentioned in the previous threads, I have both. Luckily, my hearing loss isn't that severe.

I have a friend whose child is moderately to severely deaf and partially sighted due to having part of one of his chromosomes missing. (on each, you have 2 "arms" - p and q. On number 18, he doesn't have q. This causes a lot of physical and learning disabilities, including hearing and sight problems) Because his hearing loss came when he was young and when he was learning to speak, he does have some problems talking. He uses a form of a sign language to help him communicate.

Growing up, I relied a lot on my hearing to do things like cross the road and do other things, which when you've got hearing problems on top, is now actually quite difficult. The type of hearing loss I have, there's no cure for. (there are some where they can operate)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks to everyone that voted! The actual answer is 3 in 5000, as found from the stats in here. Hopefully it got people thinking a bit!

BurstingBubbles, any chance of adding this to your list please? :puppyeyes: thank you!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Thanks to everyone that voted! The actual answer is 3 in 5000, as found from the stats in here. Hopefully it got people thinking a bit!

BurstingBubbles, any chance of adding this to your list please? :puppyeyes: thank you!
    Wow that is so much more common than I thought! I thought it would like like 1 in 100,000! Maybe I was thinking of severe deafblindness, but still. Thanks for the informative thread

Will do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Wow that is so much more common than I thought! I thought it would like like 1 in 100,000! Maybe I was thinking of severe deafblindness, but still. Thanks for the informative thread

Will do
    Sorry completely missed this! I blame notifications

Yeah it surprised me a bit too, I've just realised that's the upper estimate but even so. Not sure what the stats are like for severe deafblindness but I'd imagine they're a lot lower as you say.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.