Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do any fellow bibliophiles know of any good e-book subscription sites? I've had a look at Scribd which looks okay, though there doesn't seem to as much 'proper literature' as I'd like.

I've downloaded lots of free, out-of-copyright ebooks of classic works from Project Gutenburg, and I'm now looking for a site which allows me to read contemporary literary fiction (the type of stuff in the pages of the LRB or the Guardian) without having to pay 8 pounds everytime I download a book. I'm happy to pay a few pounds a month if that allows me access to several books. I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    ... Libraries?

ReputationRep:
    You can try wattpad but it also includes amateur writers but it's free 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    ... Libraries?
    As I say above, I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

I'm specifically looking for e-books, and as far as I'm aware one can only sign up to one's local library..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hideNfreak)
    You can try wattpad but it also includes amateur writers but it's free 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

ReputationRep:
    You could also try amazon unlimited, it's got a pretty broad range of books and the first month is free, after that it's 8 pounds a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charly.m)
    You could also try amazon unlimited, it's got a pretty broad range of books and the first month is free, after that it's 8 pounds a month
    Thanks for the responses!

Scribd looked amazing but just realised it doesn't support Kobo..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Supernova*)
    Do any fellow bibliophiles know of any good e-book subscription sites? I've had a look at Scribd which looks okay, though there doesn't seem to as much 'proper literature' as I'd like.

I've downloaded lots of free, out-of-copyright ebooks of classic works from Project Gutenburg, and I'm now looking for a site which allows me to read contemporary literary fiction (the type of stuff in the pages of the LRB or the Guardian) without having to pay 8 pounds everytime I download a book. I'm happy to pay a few pounds a month if that allows me access to several books. I've also signed up to the ebook collection of my local library, but again the collection is relatively limited.

Any ideas?
    If you really want to get into reading, get a kindle, since I have gotten mine, I haven't stopped reading since, makes things so much easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.