Turn on thread page Beta

What is my 'CITY'? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im about to make a order on the net but i just want to make one thing sure. What should i put down as my city? Here is an example

23 Hello Road (Street)
    Brixton (Area)
    Hertfordshire (County)
    London (Im guessing this is my 'CITY' no?)
    ER2 7UH (Post Code)

ReputationRep:
    Yes just but London, I am not sure what borough it is in, but Salford for example has Manchester for its city even though Salford is the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim2)
    Im about to make a order on the net but i just want to make one thing sure. What should i put down as my city? Here is an example

23 Hello Road (Street)
    Brixton (Area)
    Hertfordshire (County)
    ER2 7UH (Post Code)
    London

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim2)

23 Hello Road (Street)
    Brixton (Area)
    Hertfordshire (County)
    ER2 7UH (Post Code)

can i come round with some champagne and a bow tie?

ReputationRep:
    If the postcode is correct, it should get through as long as the rest of the details are mostly correct (as the postcode refers to just one street in the entire country).

ReputationRep:
    It really, really, really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    It really, really, really doesn't matter.
    That's what I said. Only shorter and better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim2)

23 Hello Road (Street)
    Brixton (Area)
    Hertfordshire (County)
    ER2 7UH (Post Code)
    Leave it blank if you can! Hertfordshire is not London Two different counties! Is St Albans not the cathedral city of Hertfordshire? Plus the administrative centre of Herts is Hertford.

It's a confusseling one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    can i come round with some champagne and a bow tie?
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Leave it blank if you can! Hertfordshire is not London Two different counties! Is St Albans not the cathedral city of Hertfordshire? Plus the administrative centre of Herts is Hertford.
    I think you're both underestimating the poster, hehe.

It's a made up address, no?

And threadstarter, I don't know where you live, but you may not even have a city in your address. I don't, so I'd leave that bit blank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I think you're both underestimating the poster, hehe.

It's a made up address, no?
    Really? And here was I thinking there really was an Hello Road and someone would post their post code and full address on a web site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Really? And here was I thinking there really was an Hello Road and someone would post their post code and full address on a web site
    Lol, yeah and Brixton is really in Hertfordshire..

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Stupid Internet.

Oh, and threadstater (again), the county goes after the town in address lines. Addresses in major cities (such as London) don't usually have the county. Especially seeing as London is at the point where a few counties meet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and threadstater (again), the county goes after the town in address lines. Addresses in major cities (such as London) don't usually have the county. Especially seeing as London is at the point where a few counties meet.
    American sites sometimes have this sort of format for UK addresses.

'London' isn't the area where a few counties meet - 'Greater London' is. London as such is usually taken to mean the area of Greater London that isn't in Herts, Essex, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Addresses in major cities (such as London) don't usually have the county. Especially seeing as London is at the point where a few counties meet.
    I thought people did that because when you're in London nowhere else in the country exists :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it depends what you take to mean London and what to mean Greater London I suppose. Everyone seems to have a different idea.

Though according to my dad Surrey goes right up to the river.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it depends what you take to mean London and what to mean Greater London I suppose. Everyone seems to have a different idea.

Though according to my dad Surrey goes right up to the river.
    Well living in London, and as such Greater London, this is how the authorities seem to take it! But given I live in an area that isn't run by a political party, it does get confusing as to what the ruck is going on

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what my council is. Not that'd make any difference if I did.

Hm.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.