Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How large was the jump from access to university level learning? Did you feel access to HE prepared you for university well enough?

I'm currently access to science (handing in my final assignments tomorrow. Eeekkk!) And I can't help but feel we can't possibly have learnt enough? Will we be behind all the a-level students by miles? Ive decided not to get a job the first semester I'm down there so I can focus on catching up with all the 18yos who did 2 years of science at level 3.

Ive looked at my first year modules and thankfully a fair few are titled 'introduction...' and I'm planning to try to get my hands on as many books on the list as possible but the whole course this year seemed [academically] far too easy to be equivalent to 3 A-levels, will I be out of my depth by far? Any tips on how to make the jump to that level easier?

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni for foundation year, year 1 started yr 2 and then had to leave.
    So I've just finished my access course and going back to uni for a different subject in September.
    I will say that foundation year and first year are very similar in relation to A-levels. However, the Access to science course I did seemed very easy compared to the A-levels I had done 10 years before.
    I didn't do biology or chemistry at A-level before, only physics. The chemistry was hard near the end but the biology seemed pretty alright (Physics easy). So far I've received Ds in my physics modules, Ms in chemistry and Biology half Ds, half Ms.

I think it would depend on what you will study and what you have studied previously or gained other knowledge in.

ReputationRep:
    I think the access course really does prepare you for university. I definitely learned early on my access course that starting work as soon as you receive it was the best way to get work done. So you should certainly feel ahead of younger students in terms of planning and organisation.

However I feel that my first year at university was a bit of a step down than a step up, especially in terms of workload. There were times when I struggled to fill time between lectures compared to the access course where I always had something to do. It certainly does feel easier than an access course to me.

But I'm assured second and third year will be tough lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bibliboo)
    I think the access course really does prepare you for university. I definitely learned early on my access course that starting work as soon as you receive it was the best way to get work done. So you should certainly feel ahead of younger students in terms of planning and organisation.

However I feel that my first year at university was a bit of a step down than a step up, especially in terms of workload. There were times when I struggled to fill time between lectures compared to the access course where I always had something to do. It certainly does feel easier than an access course to me.

But I'm assured second and third year will be tough lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In terms of time management, researching and being mentally ready, an Access course is definitely brilliant for these! I feel so much better about my university studies now than I did originally (may have to do with 5 years full-time work in boring retail jobs though :P)
    In terms of subject knowledge, not sure how well prepared it'll make us.

ReputationRep:
    I had a gap of 10 years between doing Access and starting my degree. I think access prepares you well for the workload, but I found myself far behind everyone else who had just done their alevels. They seemed to have gone into more depth in their subjects whereas I felt the Access was rushed. I had to work a bit harder than everyone else but perfectly doable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.