Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Calculating uncertainty when subbing in to a formula? watch

ReputationRep:
    The volume V of a cylinder of height h and radius r is given by the expression V = πr2h.
    In a particular experiment, r is to be determined from measurements of V and h. The uncertainties in V and in h are :V ±7%, h ± 3%.
    Why this is 5% not 10%?

ReputationRep:
    I think that the percentage uncertainty should be 10%. Who says that it is 5%? Is this a past paper we can look at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    I think that the percentage uncertainty should be 10%. Who says that it is 5%? Is this a past paper we can look at?
    Maybe so. It's from some online revision notes on the 7th page, it gives the answer below.

http://mrsmithsphysics.weebly.com/up...ties_notes.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiskn)
    The volume V of a cylinder of height h and radius r is given by the expression V = πr2h.
    In a particular experiment, r is to be determined from measurements of V and h. The uncertainties in V and in h are :V ±7%, h ± 3%.
    Why this is 5% not 10%?
    Hello there,

If we rearrange the equation, we find that . . .

r = \sqrt{\dfrac{V}{\pi h}}

. . . or alternatively . . .

r = \bigg(\dfrac{V}{\pi h}\bigg)^{\frac{1}{2}}

This implies that the percentage uncertainty,  p(\Delta r) , of the radius can be calculated by . . .

p(\Delta r) = \frac{1}{2}[p(\Delta V) + p(\Delta h)]

. . . since the percentage uncertainty within the parentheses is multiplied by the exponent. Therefore . . .

p(\Delta r) =  \frac{1}{2}[(7\%) + (3\%)]

p(\Delta r) =  5\%

. . .  r has a percentage uncertainty of  5\% .

I hope that this has been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithenator5000)
    Hello there,

If we rearrange the equation, we find that . . .

r = \sqrt{\dfrac{V}{\pi h}}

. . . or alternatively . . .

r = \bigg(\dfrac{V}{\pi h}\bigg)^{\frac{1}{2}}

This implies that the percentage uncertainty,  p(\Delta r) , of the radius can be calculated by . . .

p(\Delta r) = \frac{1}{2}[p(\Delta V) + p(\Delta h)]

. . . since the percentage uncertainty within the parentheses is multiplied by the exponent. Therefore . . .

p(\Delta r) =  \frac{1}{2}[(7\%) + (3\%)]

p(\Delta r) =  5\%

. . .  r has a percentage uncertainty of  5\% .

I hope that this has been helpful.
    Perfect! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ah - the lack of formatting in the question made me look right through the square (I thought it was just a 2). Nice explanation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiskn)
    Perfect! Thanks!
    You're very welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    Ah - the lack of formatting in the question made me look right through the square (I thought it was just a 2). Nice explanation!
    Thank you,

Yes, indeed- if the equation was as it was written in the question post, then you would have been correct.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.