Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found out I am gluten intolerant about two months ago, as well as this i can't eat: shellfish, butternut squash, large amount of dairy or very fatty meals

I thought I'd see if anyone else out there had lots of restrictions and how you get around it?

My favourite restaurant for gluten free is prezzo
    My favourite gluten free bread is 'genius' from ASDA ^^

What is your favourite alternatives/recipes?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    I found out I am gluten intolerant about two months ago, as well as this i can't eat: shellfish, butternut squash, large amount of dairy or very fatty meals

I thought I'd see if anyone else out there had lots of restrictions and how you get around it?

My favourite restaurant for gluten free is prezzo
    My favourite gluten free bread is 'genius' from ASDA ^^

What is your favourite alternatives/recipes?
    I've been gluten intolerant for almost 10 years now, I'm lucky in that I can eat a little bit without getting troublesome symptoms but I do try and keep a very low gluten diet where possible.

For a while I tried buying gluten free substitutes but aside from being really expensive I found them very unsatisfying and they made me crave the 'proper' versions. I actually very rarely buy gluten free bread or pasta as I find them a bit dry and just not quite right. Instead, I eat a lot of salad, potatoes or roasted veg as side dishes, andI really like vermicelli rice noodles. I make a lot of my own food so that I know exactly what I'm putting into it. I also tried polenta recently, it's really good. Aldi are doing Ilumi meals at the minute which are all gluten free, very tasty and all natural ingredients (and don't require refrigerating so are great to keep in the cupboard for lazy days when you can't be bothered to cook). Dessert wise, I tend to have fruit, rocky road (with gluten free biscuits), eton mess etc., there are plenty of options without gluten.

Things to watch out for if you're very sensitive are gravy granules, fruit and barley squash, soy sauce (you can get an alternative called tamari which I actually prefer). Also be careful of frozen potato products as some are coated in flour. Also watch out for breakfast cereals, most contain barley malt and you may be fine if there is a small amount present, depending how severe your intolerance is.

Pizza Express also do really good gluten free pizza, and Tesco does a gluten free caterpillar birthday cake which is fabulous.

If you've got any questions or need help with anything feel free to give me a shout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I've been gluten intolerant for almost 10 years now, I'm lucky in that I can eat a little bit without getting troublesome symptoms but I do try and keep a very low gluten diet where possible.

For a while I tried buying gluten free substitutes but aside from being really expensive I found them very unsatisfying and they made me crave the 'proper' versions. I actually very rarely buy gluten free bread or pasta as I find them a bit dry and just not quite right. Instead, I eat a lot of salad, potatoes or roasted veg as side dishes, andI really like vermicelli rice noodles. I make a lot of my own food so that I know exactly what I'm putting into it. I also tried polenta recently, it's really good. Aldi are doing Ilumi meals at the minute which are all gluten free, very tasty and all natural ingredients (and don't require refrigerating so are great to keep in the cupboard for lazy days when you can't be bothered to cook). Dessert wise, I tend to have fruit, rocky road (with gluten free biscuits), eton mess etc., there are plenty of options without gluten.

Things to watch out for if you're very sensitive are gravy granules, fruit and barley squash, soy sauce (you can get an alternative called tamari which I actually prefer). Also be careful of frozen potato products as some are coated in flour. Also watch out for breakfast cereals, most contain barley malt and you may be fine if there is a small amount present, depending how severe your intolerance is.

Pizza Express also do really good gluten free pizza, and Tesco does a gluten free caterpillar birthday cake which is fabulous.

If you've got any questions or need help with anything feel free to give me a shout
    Thanks for your comment, lots of interesting advice! I'll have to go to pizza express, i think that's one thing i miss the most ^^
    Its interesting that you don't like the alternatives! I wasn't able to eat bread for years because it made me sluggish and bloated but now I know why im rediscovering bread through gluten free :') i feel so liberating eating a sandwich for breakfast!

What kind of alcoholic drinks do you have? My favourite is beer but obviously i can't have that now fortunately i don't drink often at all
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Thanks for your comment, lots of interesting advice! I'll have to go to pizza express, i think that's one thing i miss the most ^^
    Its interesting that you don't like the alternatives! I wasn't able to eat bread for years because it made me sluggish and bloated but now I know why im rediscovering bread through gluten free :') i feel so liberating eating a sandwich for breakfast!

What kind of alcoholic drinks do you have? My favourite is beer but obviously i can't have that now fortunately i don't drink often at all
    I think I did eat quite a bit of bread when I was first diagnosed but the novelty soon wore off haha. Back when I got diagnosed there was very poor availability of gluten free alternatives and no guarantee the supermarket would have any, so I couldn't rely on it being there. I think once I stopped eating gluten free bread I was forced to be a bit more adventurous which was probably good for me. Also bear in mind that a lot of gluten free substitutes contain really high levels of sugar and aren't always very good for you so resisting the temptation to eat loads of bread is important.

I tend to just drink a G&T or wine. I can drink beer but I know I'll have symptoms the next day so need to plan accordingly. There's quite a few decent gluten free beers now, I've only had one or two I wasn't keen on. Even Wetherspoons has a gluten free beer now which is really good (I believe it's called Estrella Galicia). Some supermarkets have them in the Free From section.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.